Sponsored by:

Car and Driver's judgement day????

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 03:27 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Car and Driver's judgement day????

I just wrote the editors of Car and Driver. or maybe somebody here can explain it to me. Below is my letter to them. Hoping they'll post it in their "Backfire" section for next edition.

In regards to your cover story for the January edition, "Judgement Day" in which you did the Ford GT vs Ferrari Stradel vs Porsche GT3. How can you put a 5.4ltr engine car(ford gt) against 3.6ltr engined Ferrari and Porsche and declare it a winner??? I don't get it. Why didn't you put it against 5.0+ engined Ferrari Enzo and Porsche GT??

Carrera Mike
Old 12-02-2003, 03:33 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

........I thought they explained it in the text? They went by list price and sought the closest in price from the three manufacturers - or am I missing something?
Old 12-02-2003, 03:39 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Ruairidh
........I thought they explained it in the text? They went by list price and sought the closest in price from the three manufacturers - or am I missing something?
They sure did say that, but my point is, if they trying to find out which one has the best performance, pick the right cars in the same class and engine displacement.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:51 PM
96P993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess is that Ford shelled out more money for the comparison...Its all about marketing and putting your name back on the Hi-Line Auto List...Porsche and Ferrari dont need much help in that category
Old 12-02-2003, 03:54 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Mike,

Have you seen this thread in the Off Topic section?

C&D "Judgement Day"
Old 12-02-2003, 04:08 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

It would have been interesting for them to add the GT2 into the mix.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:12 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They'd probably just complain about the seats in the GT2.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:15 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Mark in Baltimore
Mike,

Have you seen this thread in the Off Topic section?

C&D "Judgement Day"
No I haven't. I must say I never been to that side of Rennlist yet. Thanks. I'll surely post my oppinion See how they tap dance

96P993 I think hit it in the head...my suspicion is ford needs economic help and turned to car and driver... ooops did I say that? I'm sure C&D can't be biased

Last edited by Carrera Mike; 12-02-2003 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:43 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

I disagree that C/D is biased in any way and I am serious. They are the last bastion of true temperence when it comes to marketing a product without fully testing, etc. They purposely do not recieve "ringers" from any manufacturer, and this test simply was based on what Porsche had to offer in that range. The CGT is 440k. The Enzo is 6xx,000 dollars. How is that comparable to a 150k ford? They said it in the text regarding those two cars, and indeed the S7 as well.

Hello, I HATE FORD, but that car did well against the MORE expensive F-car and the LESS-expensive P-Car. Now VALUE is another issue, but we can't hold that trohie on this board at all. Yes, the GT3 handles like god's own hand. But it should.

Anyway, my point here is that CD is not biased, except for many honda.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:53 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

Sorry guys, there is no conspiracy at C&D. In fact, out of the mainstream US car mags, it's probably the least likely to play politics with the manufacturers. They chose those 3 cars because they are the "purest" sportcars from each of the companies.

Even though it came in third, I thought the GT3 did great. It had a better laptime than the Ferrari (!) while being by far the most civilized of the three cars. Lousy seats were the biggest problem, which judging by the number of GT3 owners putting in Euro GT3 seats, is an accurate complaint. They mentioned why they chose the GT3 over the GT2 in the article, although I would have liked to see it in there too.

The fact is the Ford GT is simply a wonderful sportscar that blew away the other 2 at the track. It's about time they had one again. Ford is arguably one of the most supportive manufacturers in all of motorsport (FF, SRF, WRC, etc), and I wish them the best with this car and hopefully others like it someday.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:58 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by Carrera Mike
They sure did say that, but my point is, if they trying to find out which one has the best performance, pick the right cars in the same class and engine displacement.
I generally ask myself what is the best car I can buy for $xxx, not what's the best 5 liter car I can buy. I think the point is that, for the price, nothing is in the same class as the GT 40.

Greg H.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:09 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Brendan and Peter beat me to it. I find it pretty hard to believe that Car & Driver's suspicious and discerning editorial eye is biased. Their findings often cause howls of protest from readers of the vanquished, but C&D seems to call it like they see it. How they see it does not always correspond to who won a comparison before, and not every Honda or BMW comes out on top.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:11 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Greg H.
I generally ask myself what is the best car I can buy for $xxx, not what's the best 5 liter car I can buy. I think the point is that, for the price, nothing is in the same class as the GT 40.

Greg H.
More bang for your bucks??..

sent you a PM about the shifter by the way, Greg.
Old 12-02-2003, 06:20 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I found it odd to compare a car costing $100k (Porsche) with one costing $150k (Ford) and one costing $200k (Ferrari). But I guess the only other Porsche choice is the $200k GT2, which they should have used if they're gonna use a $200k Ferrari.
Old 12-02-2003, 06:37 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Mike - Got it, thanks.

As I said, I haven't seen the article, but I wonder if the GT-2 would have done any better according to their criteria. I have to admit, it's the GT-40 that is going to make me buy the magazine, and that's the real point.

Greg H.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver's judgement day????