How to change interior color - surflex

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 11:54 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts
Talking How to change interior color - surflex

Been talking about surflex for a while now but I finally put my money where my mouth is (on the 993 that is, done it before on other cars).

Instead of buying a new handbrake and console, I just dyed them black with surflex. Woop dee doo... Looks factory, does it not ?

2 coats, 1.5 hours, the mini-bucket of surflex looks like I haven't even used any -should not have bought 2! That said I am waiting on my black floor mats to decide if I do the door panels or not ;-)
Old 11-28-2003, 12:13 AM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

That is what it is made for.... Leather and Vinyl. I meant for the picture to be bigger, but it's not readable... It says Colorant and finish for leather and vinyl ! It needs to cure about a week to be really strong, but I am tempted to try it on the seats. The panels I did on previous cars are now 5+ years old and still look factory ! Something hi-wear, like a door handle or a seat I have not dared attempt yet, but apparently this is what it's made for, so.....
Old 11-28-2003, 12:35 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That good really good, Greg....hmmmm...
Old 11-28-2003, 10:28 AM
maxiter
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, looks very good!

Please keep us updated as to how it holds up over time. After seeing posts here, I've become inspired to lessen the amount of tan in my interior, too.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:35 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Greg, Looks great. This could be the answer to my quest for an economical way to renew the look on my worn out hand brake.

Where did you get this suflex? How is it applied?
Old 11-28-2003, 10:43 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg,

There is also a company that imports factory bolts of carpeting. I saw your post thinking about going to black on the doors. It would be a lot cheaper buying the size you want and then cut it out rather than buying from Porsche. I bought some of this (like $47 for a 4'x6' bolt) to replace my rear seat bottoms. It is great. My only problem is that it is a pure black, and my interior has faded a little over the years. But any carpet replacement will have that problem....

http://www.veteranco.com/
Old 11-28-2003, 11:26 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can get Surflex at www.carcareonline.com I've used it on bolsters on sports seats, the stuff works great.
Old 11-28-2003, 04:08 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

And it's applied by sponge or brush ! While it looks initially like crap and like it's never gonna hold in place, by the second coat and after some curing, the stuff is indestructible ;-)

Like I said before, I used it on my 83 911 5+ years ago and to this day it looks as good as or better than the factory stuff.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:58 AM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

>There is also a company that imports factory bolts of carpeting. I saw your post thinking about going to black on the doors. It would be a lot cheaper buying the size you want and then cut it out rather than buying from Porsche.

Bob, thanks for that... Not sure it'd work for what I have in mind though. My concern is the door pockets (hi fi version). the carpet on those it part of a vinyl piece that wraps around the pocket. You need to buy that specific part, or remove the pocket altogether and go RS.

At this time I can't afford either - I ordered black Lloyds mats and may or may not surflex some more, quarter panels and door panels (but not the handles? might look weird)... dunno... Just got hit by property tax much harder than anticipated, so the porsche expenses are postponed for 6 months ! ;-(

Quick Reply: How to change interior color - surflex