993 Forum 1995-1998

New owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 12:59 PM
WRXdriver
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 28 Posts
Default New owner

I already posted about my road trip home in the What Did You Do With Your 993 Today thread, but I'll briefly recap and attempt to add some pics.

The car is a GR on black '95 C2. It's exactly what I wanted; an apparently well maintained car, cosmetically imperfect due to chips and some general petina, with lots of recent work, high mileage (109,xxx+) and already modded. In short it's suitable for actual driving, and I've been looking for this combination with increasing seriousness for almost 2 years. I love admiring collector pieces, but I'm just not wired to actually own one. My 13 year old daughter and I flew out to Toronto Monday night (07-24-17) from Minneapolis and spent three days driving it 1,300+ meandering miles home. It ran great.

At this point I don't think additional miles will make much difference in resale value so I intend to drive it as much as I can. I have tentative road trips already planned to go play on curvy roads with 911 friends who live in Denver and Nashville. BIR (Brainerd International Raceway) is right across the lake from our cabin and I hope to track it there from time to time.

As I said it's already been modded, I'll hit the highlights. Lowered on Bilstein HD's, M030 springs and sways, etc. Rebuilt brakes freshly painted red, brand new rotors and pads, ss brake lines. RS short shift kit with Golden Rod, RS light weight flywheel, Kevlar clutch, Steve Wong chip, Fister III's, MY02 wheels, with requisite power steering pump brace, Rennline pedal set. Cosmetically there are some other aluminum accents scattered around the interior, plus an RS front splitter and rear wing. The for sale ad with the full mod list is still posted around here somewhere, I'm sure some of you saw it. I love the fact that it's had paint work (RS bits and rock chip hood re-spray at some point) because now if a minivan backs into it at Target it won't ruin the car for me, I'll just get it fixed and move on.

Everything seems to work except AC (condenser and recharge at a minimum) and the oil level gauge. It was mostly dry, just seeping some oil, when I left Toronto but it's dripping on my driveway now. I'm not surprised after so many hours at high oil pressure but am a little bit disappointed. It goes in to the local independent Monday 08-07-17 for a post purchase inspection to get a mechanical baseline, AC repair, and new tires. Hopefully they won't find anything dire.

Pics are only with the iPhone, and I didn't take that many. The trip home was much more about spending time with my daughter so I have LOTS of pictures of her. But here are a few of the car. I don't know how to label each individual shot so I'll just do it here.

It hadn't been wet in years, even to wash. There was zero surface rust around the brake rotors, or in the drilled holes. Hangers, screws, undertray etc were all perfect. But I drove it in the rain and included a pic as proof. I'm NOT sorry and will do it again.

(Hopefully the pics aren't huge, if they are I'll try to fix later)

1.) Picnic lunch and a refreshing swim in large Lake Michigan waves at Hoffmaster State Park.
2.) Years of care avoiding all forms of precipitation come to an abrupt and unapologetic end.
3.) Early morning departure from Mackinaw City, MI.
4.) Home.
5.) First oil drips. Bad?
Attached Images      
Old 08-01-2017, 01:10 PM
phoneyman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on your purchase and awesome roadtrip home.

As for the oil drops, people will have differing opinions of it its "a lot". I would say it looks like it drips more than mine does, which is a drop or two every few days (i put cardboard underneath and rotate it to count drops). The real telling sign will be if you get under the car and check the top of the exhaust bits and see how much has collected, if any. Good luck.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:29 PM
Rockit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great write up and pics......car looks awesome!!

Drips are normal..well where they drip. When I got mine there was puddles the size if pizzas....I have them all sealed now, no drips. Some 993's leak a little. I removed my engine and fix all the leaks and tuned it up. Not as bas as it sounds.

Look into this link for common area's of leaking. http://www.jackals-forge.com/lotus/9...iary_2011.html

Look under valve covers and timing chain case covers. None are hard to do or crazy expensive.

Last edited by Rockit; 08-01-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:57 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats on the new 993. Regarding the drips which end of the car are they coming from? They look a bit light in color of oil and could be power steering fluid from a leaking steering rack if the drops are coming from the front of the car.

Anyhow, welcome!
Old 08-01-2017, 02:13 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 192 Posts

The for sale ad states no leaks. The ad said the engine was dropped and everything was sealed up.
It might not be engine oil thats leaking like Spyder suggested. Get the car on a rack and try to see where it might be coming from. Congrats on the car!! Very similar mod specs to my car.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:52 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Great looking car and trip pix. Almost my twin.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:55 PM
masti99
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Congrats, enjoy in good health!
Old 08-01-2017, 03:07 PM
uniquenamehere
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

Such a great looking car, I love Guards Red! I watched that for sale ad for quite some time, glad it finally sold.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:31 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 521 Posts

Just a tip...check this out... I started to get a few drips... found out from my mechanic ...the Reverse Switch on the Transmission needed replaced "original." $100 part. That was exactly it.. my engine is bone dry but I also only have about 30,350 miles now.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:48 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Could be as simple as a leak from the lower valve covers! All 993s leak from there eventually, an easy fix and possibly a DIY if You feel like it!
Old 08-01-2017, 04:00 PM
993Mpls
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Great car, and great trip. Enjoy! Mine is Guards Red too. I'll keep an eye out for you.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:29 PM
nr1416
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on joining the 993 club. I saw this for sale locally to me and thought someone is going to get a great driver at a great price. Don't worry about a few drops of oil if its just from the valve covers. Sharing the experience with your daughter on the journey home will never be forgotten I'm sure and that's what these cars are all about.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:45 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts

Love it! May you have many years and miles of driving enjoyment.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:46 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 289 Posts

95 percent of the leaks on these cars come from the lower valve covers. Easy fix and not too expensive.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:20 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats and enjoy it. Definitely the fastest color

Quick Reply: New owner