Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Said goodbye to my 992 after 17 months...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2024 | 03:41 AM
GeorgeA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by McNamara
Fixed that for you.
Those come with automatic transmissions and not enough power, so no.
Old 09-11-2024 | 04:11 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

I'm lucky. While I don't have the enviable garage of the OP, I do have a BMW i4 EV as my DD and a significant solar array to keep the house running and our EV's fully charged. For weekend and general all around entertainment I have my 992. (The wife has an X5 Hybrid.). I bought the i4 after having had a Honda Civic Hybrid for many years and then a KIA EV6 (full EV) for just over a year. The Honda was surprisingly comfortable and was great for fuel economy, 52 mpg in Los Angeles Traffic over 80,000 miles. The KIA was/is IMHO an extremely well engineered EV. But KIA cut huge corners on the interior. The EV6 IMHO was an exceptional EV econo-box, but priced like a mid range luxury vehicle, which it isn't. The i4 BMW has been fantastic to me. It's: comfortable, quick (to say the least), attractive (to me) and entirely functional. It's a nice performance-lite capable car, that happens to be powered electrically. The Tesla's I've driven always seemed to me to be a Lap Top computer trying to be a car. The compromises that generates, in so many little ways, along with simply horrible build quality, eventually took them off my shopping list. I thought long and hard about the Taycan when I bought the i4, but the pricing and the range of the Taycan just didn't work for me. Now then, if I couldn't have my 992 and this BMW i4 at the same time, and I could only have one car, I'd probably revisit the Taycan in a serious way. But I don't have to.
I thought long and hard about a MT for my 992. I didn't own a car with an automatic transmission, until the Hybrid Honda Civic with it's CVT, and I started driving in 1969. But even though the Zen of a Manual Transmission is perfection, in Los Angeles, it is simply overshadowed by the reality of the traffic that must be endured, to get to the roads I enjoy. I will say that the PDK in my 992 is very nice. Put the car in "Sport+" and select "M" and that's really quite impressive. I understand completely why every Indi and F1 car (among others) use them.
A few thoughts on the automotive market at this moment in time: Several things are happening in the automotive market right now. First, the pricing bubble that has existed pretty much since the end of COVID is rapidly evaporating. The market is trying to find its footing, to coin a phrase. Until the market settles down, which will probably take a year or two, resale values will be all over the map. and mostly negative. I also follow the motorcycle market and it's pretty much an identical situation there. Although sales in Europe hasn't been good to EV's, particularly in the second quarter of 2024, what with all (or most) of the government incentives ending. But here in the U.S. EV sales are up. Not as up as a lot of folks thought it would be, but the EV share of sales and the market overall continues to increase. EV's are new to most folks and because of that they're going to take a disproportionate share of the depreciation cycle. There are a lot of owner experiences that show battery life of established EV's is consistently exceeding 300,000 miles. If that story-line holds up and a reputation gets established in the public eye around those kind of numbers, look out ICE power. I will say that at the moment, leasing an EV like the Taycan, as the OP is doing, is an excellent idea in this market, at the moment we're in. It's a conservative put in a depreciating asset. In the long run, I do believe that EV's will come to dominate the automotive market. They're simply a better mousetrap. How long this will take? I don't know. Probably 3 to 5 years would be my guess. At one time (I'm a geezer) a used car with a catalytic converter was a hard sell. History is repeating itself.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 09-11-2024 at 04:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
aggie57 (09-13-2024)
Old 09-11-2024 | 04:38 AM
politeperson
Racer

By rear wheel drive C2 has been great torque-wise.

As for turbo lag, I have never experienced it. Throttle response in town is instantaneous, even in normal mode always no matter what. Instant thrust.

Maybe it is different to an S? This is coming from driving 140,000 miles in a Tesla Model S. That obviously had no lag!

Maybe I would be disappointed in the S? (I doubt it). Maybe they are different?

As for weight, my car weighs exactly 3,310 lbs,1,500kg. with half a tank of fuel.

It is not a heavy car. I weighed it. Even my friends electric Mini weighs quite a bit more than that at 1680kg, 3,700lbs.

4 way seats and no options. 60 is 3.6 seconds. I measured it.

Maybe the cheaper spec. base has some advantages?
Old 09-11-2024 | 04:41 AM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
I'm lucky. While I don't have the enviable garage of the OP, I do have a BMW i4 EV as my DD and a significant solar array to keep the house running and our EV's fully charged. For weekend and general all around entertainment I have my 992. (The wife has an X5 Hybrid.). I bought the i4 after having had a Honda Civic Hybrid for many years and then a KIA EV6 (full EV) for just over a year. The Honda was surprisingly comfortable and was great for fuel economy, 52 mpg in Los Angeles Traffic over 80,000 miles. The KIA was/is IMHO an extremely well engineered EV. But KIA cut huge corners on the interior. The EV6 IMHO was an exceptional EV econo-box, but priced like a mid range luxury vehicle, which it isn't. The i4 BMW has been fantastic to me. It's: comfortable, quick (to say the least), attractive (to me) and entirely functional. It's a nice performance-lite capable car, that happens to be powered electrically. The Tesla's I've driven always seemed to me to be a Lap Top computer trying to be a car. The compromises that generates, in so many little ways, along with simply horrible build quality, eventually took them off my shopping list. I thought long and hard about the Taycan when I bought the i4, but the pricing and the range of the Taycan just didn't work for me. Now then, if I couldn't have my 992 and this BMW i4 at the same time, and I could only have one car, I'd probably revisit the Taycan in a serious way. But I don't have to.
I thought long and hard about a MT for my 992. I didn't own a car with an automatic transmission, until the Hybrid Honda Civic with it's CVT, and I started driving in 1969. But even though the Zen of a Manual Transmission is perfection, in Los Angeles, it is simply overshadowed by the reality of the traffic that must be endured, to get to the roads I enjoy. I will say that the PDK in my 992 is very nice. Put the car in "Sport+" and select "M" and that's really quite impressive. I understand completely why every Indi and F1 car (among others) use them.
A few thoughts on the automotive market at this moment in time: Several things are happening in the automotive market right now. First, the pricing bubble that has existed pretty much since the end of COVID is rapidly evaporating. The market is trying to find its footing, to coin a phrase. Until the market settles down, which will probably take a year or two, resale values will be all over the map. and mostly negative. I also follow the motorcycle market and it's pretty much an identical situation there. Although sales in Europe hasn't been good to EV's, particularly in the second quarter of 2024, what with all (or most) of the government incentives ending. But here in the U.S. EV sales are up. Not as up as a lot of folks thought it would be, but the EV share of sales and the market overall continues to increase. EV's are new to most folks and because of that they're going to take a disproportionate share of the depreciation cycle. There are a lot of owner experiences that show battery life of established EV's is consistently exceeding 300,000 miles. If that story-line holds up and a reputation gets established in the public eye around those kind of numbers, look out ICE power. I will say that at the moment, leasing an EV like the Taycan, as the OP is doing, is an excellent idea in this market, at the moment we're in. It's a conservative put in a depreciating asset. In the long run, I do believe that EV's will come to dominate the automotive market. They're simply a better mousetrap. How long this will take? I don't know. Probably 3 to 5 years would be my guess. At one time (I'm a geezer) a used car with a catalytic converter was a hard sell. History is repeating itself.

3 to 5 years?!? Not a chance. It’s going to take triple that time for widespread adoption, and that’s with government regulation forcing it on people.
Old 09-11-2024 | 05:39 AM
McNamara
Racer

Originally Posted by GeorgeA
Those come with automatic transmissions and not enough power, so no.
Definitely, and make sure you tell everyone too. Don't want the fun cars to be even harder to buy.
Old 09-11-2024 | 05:43 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
3 to 5 years?!? Not a chance. It’s going to take triple that time for widespread adoption, and that’s with government regulation forcing it on people.
I don't know. The adoption rate in Norway is getting above 82%. This per Forbes 05/24/24 (as one source), and Norway certainly has no shortage of Oil. Norway is a huge net exporter of oil.
PSPorsche (09-16-2024)
Old 09-11-2024 | 07:34 AM
dg108
Instructor

Originally Posted by politeperson
By rear wheel drive C2 has been great torque-wise.

As for turbo lag, I have never experienced it. Throttle response in town is instantaneous, even in normal mode always no matter what. Instant thrust.

Maybe it is different to an S? This is coming from driving 140,000 miles in a Tesla Model S. That obviously had no lag!

Maybe I would be disappointed in the S? (I doubt it). Maybe they are different?

As for weight, my car weighs exactly 3,310 lbs,1,500kg. with half a tank of fuel.

It is not a heavy car. I weighed it. Even my friends electric Mini weighs quite a bit more than that at 1680kg, 3,700lbs.

4 way seats and no options. 60 is 3.6 seconds. I measured it.

Maybe the cheaper spec. base has some advantages?
Smaller turbos in the C2 and T have very little lag at the expense of more overall power. I find the power and torque in my lightly-optioned T to be perfect for the street.
Emosgarage (09-11-2024)
Old 09-11-2024 | 08:26 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

From the OPs garage, I don’t think that a manual transmission in a 992 is going to swing the needle here.

The Taycan is an engaging and entertaining EV to drive. Steering was clearly coded by the same folks who coded the 992 EPAS. It’s not a Tesla. It drives like a real car. Agreed with the OP that EV throttle response is a different level.

I did the same switch as the OP back in 2022 after putting more than 35k miles on my 992C4S. I had zero regrets. Had the car not been totaled by an idiot that rear ended me, I’d still have the car. I put over 26k miles on that Taycan in 8 months.

A couple of years ago, I picked up a 3 pedal 991.2 Targa and I adore that car, but I daily an F150 Lightning, because EVs are simply better daily drivers. That’s not to say that the Targa 4 doesn’t get out on the weekdays. It’s the truck that I will simply take anywhere and with solar, it truly costs me nothing to operate.

What about NA engagement? Carrera T? GT? Blah blah. I have 7 motorcycles in addition to the four wheel stuff. 208HP out of a liter,14k RPM redline, and a dry weight of 410lbs. If going fast with an NA and a manual is your thing, get a bike.

Last edited by detansinn; 09-11-2024 at 08:35 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by detansinn:
dg108 (09-11-2024), Emosgarage (09-11-2024), FloraFauna (09-12-2024), incoming992s (09-12-2024)
Old 09-11-2024 | 09:54 AM
Crusje
Racer

Nice blog. Would read again.
Emosgarage (09-11-2024)
Old 09-11-2024 | 10:48 AM
dg108
Instructor

Originally Posted by detansinn
From the OPs garage, I don’t think that a manual transmission in a 992 is going to swing the needle here.

The Taycan is an engaging and entertaining EV to drive. Steering was clearly coded by the same folks who coded the 992 EPAS. It’s not a Tesla. It drives like a real car. Agreed with the OP that EV throttle response is a different level.

I did the same switch as the OP back in 2022 after putting more than 35k miles on my 992C4S. I had zero regrets. Had the car not been totaled by an idiot that rear ended me, I’d still have the car. I put over 26k miles on that Taycan in 8 months.

A couple of years ago, I picked up a 3 pedal 991.2 Targa and I adore that car, but I daily an F150 Lightning, because EVs are simply better daily drivers. That’s not to say that the Targa 4 doesn’t get out on the weekdays. It’s the truck that I will simply take anywhere and with solar, it truly costs me nothing to operate.

What about NA engagement? Carrera T? GT? Blah blah. I have 7 motorcycles in addition to the four wheel stuff. 208HP out of a liter,14k RPM redline, and a dry weight of 410lbs. If going fast with an NA and a manual is your thing, get a bike.

Funny, I also daily a Lightning ER. Great around town vehicel and super functional. Oh, and we have solar as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by dg108:
aggie57 (09-13-2024), detansinn (09-11-2024)
Old 09-11-2024 | 11:25 AM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by detansinn

That bike is awesome. I used to ride bikes when I was younger and just can't anymore, just don't trust other drivers. I would love to take a ride on a track some day, maybe when I retire.
detansinn (09-11-2024)
Old 09-11-2024 | 11:35 AM
dg108
Instructor

I gave up bikes a fews years ago as well, too many cars in my lane not paying attention.
incoming992s (09-12-2024)
Old 09-11-2024 | 04:14 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

To each their own, but I don’t know how anyone could find the 992 boring.

I guess compared to a GT4 I can understand, but…..

I always felt that daily driving any car makes it boring. I try to avoid doing that with my sports cars. I used to take my 992 out on the back roads and I drove it like a buffoon. Drove it the way it was meant to be driven, and it was always a smile machine for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tupper:
Emosgarage (09-11-2024), MAXFPS (09-11-2024)
Old 09-11-2024 | 06:01 PM
AlfaM5
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tupper
T I used to take my 992 out on the back roads and I drove it like a buffoon.
I guess this is where I differ with a lot these days. To me a cool car is one that oozes awesomeness driving 25mph. If you need to drive like a buffoon to feel anything, we are in video game territory and I've lost interest.
Old 09-11-2024 | 06:06 PM
Falcon01
Instructor

I kinda understand where OP is coming from, although I think their phrasing may be off a bit. OP has a GT4 as a fun weekend car. the 992 was used as a daily, often driven in traffic, and OP at this point prefers a 4 door EV that has instant torque for their city/traffic driving. I get that. It's not like the 992 was OP's only fun car. I enjoyed driving my 992 C2 and C2S as a daily most of the time, but I also went and got a different daily as I didn't want to commute to a bad area with ****ty roads in the 992. Also, if OP got a good lease deal and good trade in for his 992, it could be a good move financially. I've seen sub $900/mo Taycan lease deals.

Emosgarage (09-11-2024)

Quick Reply: Said goodbye to my 992 after 17 months...