Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picking up a 992.1 Tomorrow - Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Received 925 Likes on 414 Posts

Congrats! It’s Friday afternoon, so considering your roommate likes the car, I assume it has a new address. You begin what can be a lifelong journey, enjoy. The tough part is the 2K break in. It takes a lot of self discipline:-) but do it. Quickly become familiar with the maintenance schedule & live by it as a minimum; 10K mile oil changes, etc., but many here do that every 5K. Maintenance is the key to a happy Porsche life.
To fully appreciate what you have, consider doing one of the driving experience events or do a session or two with an instructor. At this moment, the car is far more capable than the pilot. And I would be remiss if I did not add that it is not to early to plan the first road trip, after break in. Nothing like a long trip, off interstates, to truly appreciate the car.
Agree with above, don’t ocd over the car, simply keep it clean & protected. Relax, enjoy every fast mile & your Porsche journey.
The following users liked this post:
solidgranite (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM
solidgranite
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you all for the words of encouragement! I can already tell this is a true community that I can rely on for expert information and opinions.

As it stands, I've secured credit union financing (through the dealer) at 6.24% which I think is decent in this market. They also agreed to toss in the second maintenance for free to sweeten the deal. If nothing changes, I'll have her by Wednesday of next week.
Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM
Gary12000
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts
Default further

Originally Posted by solidgranite
Thank you all for the words of encouragement! I can already tell this is a true community that I can rely on for expert information and opinions.

As it stands, I've secured credit union financing (through the dealer) at 6.24% which I think is decent in this market. They also agreed to toss in the second maintenance for free to sweeten the deal. If nothing changes, I'll have her by Wednesday of next week.
When you finally go to pick up the car and sit down with the F&I person.. you will be offered lots of extra plans.. just be aware that you don't need most of that stuff, as previously mentioned don't add PPF or Ceramic at the dealership..6.24% is actually quite good, especially for MSRP.. i don't trust any dealership to their word, so be prepared that anything can chnage between now and when you pick it up... also be aware that the innocuous questions they ask when you first sit down with the F&I are to set you up for what extras they can offer you... like who's going to be doing all the driving? Daily Driver ? oh ok where do you work? in the city? they are interested in what you say about mileage per year so they can offer you an extended service plan or warranty or wheel and tire package..
Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM
solidgranite
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary12000
When you finally go to pick up the car and sit down with the F&I person.. you will be offered lots of extra plans.. just be aware that you don't need most of that stuff, as previously mentioned don't add PPF or Ceramic at the dealership..6.24% is actually quite good, especially for MSRP.. i don't trust any dealership to their word, so be prepared that anything can chnage between now and when you pick it up... also be aware that the innocuous questions they ask when you first sit down with the F&I are to set you up for what extras they can offer you... like who's going to be doing all the driving? Daily Driver ? oh ok where do you work? in the city? they are interested in what you say about mileage per year so they can offer you an extended service plan or warranty or wheel and tire package..
Thanks for the insight! Are any of their offerings worth considering? This car will not be driven much, especially through the Winter.
Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,784 Likes on 5,144 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary12000
Concur on this point.

With one caveat.

You might (and I stress "might") want to consider the wheel and tire package. Look at the deductible, and consider your driving environment. One bent or chipped wheel and a flat, and the insurance will have paid for itself. Again, this only makes sense depending on your driving environment (road conditions, etc.) and how often you will be driving the car.

Congrats, and enjoy the (short) wait.
solidgranite (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM
CurryPuff
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 124 Posts

As above, look at the roads around you to see if you need the tyre package. I bent two rims on my X3 driving down the freeway and had to suck up for a new wheel set. A few months later I learnt I could call Caltrans and effectively have them pay for the repair.
The 911s do have a 'rim protector' (i believe that's the tyre says on it) and the lip on the tyre protrudes out past the wheels, saving you from the most common kerb rash.
solidgranite (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:19 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 2,020 Likes on 1,138 Posts

Originally Posted by solidgranite
Thanks for the insight! Are any of their offerings worth considering? This car will not be driven much, especially through the Winter.
Did you buy it?

Quick Reply: Picking up a 992.1 Tomorrow - Advice Needed