Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will upcoming EURO 7 influence the 992.2 model timeline?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2024, 06:21 AM
cebe
Pro

Received 436 Likes on 184 Posts
Default Will upcoming EURO 7 influence the 992.2 model timeline?

At the end of May the European Commission finally promulgated the long awaited (and feared) EURO 7 Emission Regulation.

The new EURO 7 will come into force (for what I have understood) for newly homologated vehicles starting July 1st 2025.

With the regulatory framework now firmly in place, we can expect car manufacturers to firmly define the timeline for their new model for a few years down the line (probably up to 2030).
In the instance of Porsche we may assume that the recently introduced variants of the 992.2 were designed to be potentially compliant with the interim versions of EURO 7, but not fully compliant as some limits were not really defined yet and definitely not compliant for brakes and tires emissions.

Now if we look at the potential timeline for other "variants" of the 911 we may ask ourselves if Porsche will try to introduce them before the July 2025 deadline or if the will be introduced afterwords and will need to be compliant in full with EURO 7.

Looking at the past timeline for the introductions of the 992.1 variants we can see as follows:

992.1 carrera introduction NOVEMBER 2018
992.1 turbo introduction MARCH 2020 -> after 14 months
992.1 GT3 introduction FEBRUARY 2021 -> after 23 months

If the above timeline should be any indication for the future, then looks like all "high performance" variants of the 992.2 would be after July 2025 and need to be fully EURO 7 compliant.

I do not have any inside information, but it will be interesting to see if Porsche (which as been testing the 992.2 turbo and GT3 variants for some time now, basically alongside the carrera and GTS) would eventually try to anticipate the homologation of any other variant such as turbo or GT3 before the July 2025 dedline.

One could ask why this EURO 7 dedline shall be relevant.
For one aspect it will put significant pressure on the tires and brakes suppliers to reduced the emissions on the application to the single specific vehicle (and heavier the vehicle, bigger the challenge).
We all know how much relevace in the Nurburgring time benchmark are the tires and brakes playing and it could become difficult for Porsche (as for any other manufacturer) to improve the lap times for newer model with limitations on the emissions and the performance of tires and brakes.

Just a question for somebody with more inside information than me, but a relevant deadline that Porsche will be looking at, for sure.

Last edited by cebe; 06-27-2024 at 06:23 AM.
Old 06-27-2024, 06:25 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

I am sure that everything you see with the 992.2 already considers the Euro 7 requirements.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
AlexCeres (06-27-2024), Scott P (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 08:00 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Did you test AI to write this post? Sounds like it.
Old 06-27-2024, 08:03 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 327 Posts

They already braced for it . The process has begun to walk back the 2035 deadline .France has already called a meeting to discuss the PR campaign of the newly elected officials to convince the environmentalist zealot herd that this is ruining their economy (no that reasoning matters ) before they shove it right back. Germany and Italy are on deck and the German officials have already stated they are following suit. It wasn't just cars . They were heading in the direction of carbon neutral supply chain factories . Heck even the Mayor of Paris wanted a "green Olympics" with no AC for athletes and USA as well as other countries said no way . They are bringing their own portable AC . This cult is losing the wind in their windmills .

Porsche has spent billions on the EV ridiculousness and I project that in the end it will come down to a middle ground of CHOICE . Both EV and Ice will flow together and learn how to coexist . The market will dictate success or failure
The following 2 users liked this post by yrralis1:
Hunky (06-27-2024), VarTheVar (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 10:32 AM
Hunky
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 97 Posts

^^^^^No reason why ICE and the entire range of EVs, PHEVs, etc. cannot co exist. I have a one year old mild hybrid TT V8 BMW X6 and love it but have no interest in a vehicle that has to be plugged in at home, a hotel, out on the highway, or at a shopping mall, not interested in that like most other folks as polling on the subject demonstrates.
"Bay area types" out to save the world while making their political statement are more than welcome to their Teslas and Taycans.
Forcing the entire populations of various nations to buy only EVs is a fools game for the politicians attempting to mandate such unrealistic nonsense. Political suicide as any imposed deadlines approach.
Let technology evolve until EVs are preferable if that point can be reached. Iron fisted government stupidity forcing a market transition will not work.

Last edited by Hunky; 06-27-2024 at 10:36 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hunky:
Gary12000 (06-27-2024), Kevin_ (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 12:29 PM
Gary12000
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 103 Posts

I also have a BMW mild HYbrid on my X5, its a great vehicle, peppy enough for an SUV, i looked at a Cayenne GTS used and couldn't swing a used CPO compared to a brand new X5 Xdrive 40i, i agree with you the old hybrid ice vehicle is where its at, i would like BMW to make a newer i8 that's a cool vehicle and the i3 is very well liked in Europe they were ahead of the rest with those models.

lets hope that sanity regains a foothold ... seriously Tire and brake emissions, i wonder what data they are using to justify this idea, how about countries that don't conform to any emissions standards, i think we know who i'm talking about there are a few of them, and whilst it is true they have autonomy in their own country just put a carbon tax on their exports into conforming countries... call it whatever you want, AXXhole tax for all i care...
Old 06-27-2024, 02:17 PM
cebe
Pro

Originally Posted by detansinn
I am sure that everything you see with the 992.2 already considers the Euro 7 requirements.
With all due respect, I have some doubts that the 992.2 variants presented at the end of May can be fully compliant with a new regulation that was only finalized at the end of April, but maybe I am mistaken.
In particular tires and brakes would need to be specifically developped and tested on each individual variant and that I assume can be done only after the emission limits are firmly defined.
Up until the end of April there was no firm decision on the emission limits and the manufacturers were still lobbing to postpone the regulation until 2026.
Old 06-27-2024, 02:20 PM
cebe
Pro

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Did you test AI to write this post? Sounds like it.
Probably I am lacking sufficient proficiency in the English language, as it is not my mother tongue, but I have problems in understanding what you really mean.
Old 06-27-2024, 02:32 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 314 Posts

The sad part of all this emissions stuff is that manufacturers absolutely refuse to do the one thing that reduces emissions and increases fuel economy and improves everything about cars across the board: MAKE CARS LIGHTER AND SMALLER!

I wish there was a heavy tax on any car that weighed over 3000lbs.

As far as tires go, i'm sure they'll figure something out, but honestly I wish tire grip would decrease substantially as well.
Old 06-27-2024, 05:26 PM
Hunky
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by VarTheVar
The sad part of all this emissions stuff is that manufacturers absolutely refuse to do the one thing that reduces emissions and increases fuel economy and improves everything about cars across the board: MAKE CARS LIGHTER AND SMALLER!

I wish there was a heavy tax on any car that weighed over 3000lbs.

As far as tires go, i'm sure they'll figure something out, but honestly I wish tire grip would decrease substantially as well.
Smaller cars? No thank you sir. Not looking for a 911 anything like the glorified go carts they were years ago. The trend is actually in the direction of larger much more powerfull vehicles like SUVs whether the tree humpers like it or not.
Old 06-27-2024, 05:32 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hunky
Smaller cars? No thank you sir. Not looking for a 911 anything like the glorified go carts they were years ago. The trend is actually in the direction of larger much more powerfull vehicles like SUVs whether the tree humpers like it or not.
I don't want lighter cars for efficiency. I want them for handling dynamics. I'm just saying it's ironic that the tree huggers could just make them smaller and solve both issues. If Porsche sold a '73 911 side by side with a 992, I wouldn't even look twice at the 992.
Old 06-27-2024, 05:37 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cebe
Probably I am lacking sufficient proficiency in the English language, as it is not my mother tongue, but I have problems in understanding what you really mean.
You don’t have to defend your English proficiency. It doesn’t matter what language you tell him he can’t cope with anything even subtly contrarian to this GTS. It’s fanboyism in its purest form.
Old 06-27-2024, 05:40 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cebe
With all due respect, I have some doubts that the 992.2 variants presented at the end of May can be fully compliant with a new regulation that was only finalized at the end of April, but maybe I am mistaken.
In particular tires and brakes would need to be specifically developped and tested on each individual variant and that I assume can be done only after the emission limits are firmly defined.
Up until the end of April there was no firm decision on the emission limits and the manufacturers were still lobbing to postpone the regulation until 2026.
they’re usually are last-minute hiccups, but they do get over the finish line in a timely manner. For example, the electric Macan was supposed to be launched in May and that got pushed up to the fall due to a software issue. There’s some delays on these cars, but it’s not outrageously long..
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 05:41 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

New cars will never be like they were 50 years ago. Safety regulations might have made cars bigger and heavier, but also substantially safer. If a 2024 SUV plows into your 73 911, you aren’t walking away — very likely, you will be dead.

Modern design has also made them much more reliable — does anyone miss voltage regulator failures and points ignition? It’s easy to take the improvements for granted.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 05:44 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by detansinn
New cars will never be like they were 50 years ago. Safety regulations might have made cars bigger and heavier, but also substantially safer. If a 2024 SUV plows into your 73 911, you aren’t walking away — very likely, you will be dead.

Modern design has also made them much more reliable — does anyone miss voltage regulator failures and points ignition? It’s easy to take the improvements for granted.
That's a misconception. Material science, manufacturing advances, understanding of crash structures, computer modeling, and airbags have made it possible to build a 2500lb car that passes safety regulations in the modern day. Proof is that they do today. They're just rare because people WANT bigger cars. Well, I say that I don't care if you WANT a bigger car. I WANT a naturally aspirated V8 but regulations don't allow it. So why not start penalizing for building larger cars as well. They have the same negative effects.

Quick Reply: Will upcoming EURO 7 influence the 992.2 model timeline?