Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will upcoming EURO 7 influence the 992.2 model timeline?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2024, 05:56 PM
Hunky
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

Why do manufacturers need to be "penalized" for building the cars that people want to buy and drive. That is absolutely ridiculous and I don't want to be forced to live only where I can recharge my f'ng EV that the government forced me to buy. Forget about all of that. Pretty sure that I speak for well over 100 million Americans if not more with that statement.

Last edited by Hunky; 06-27-2024 at 06:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
vanlieremead (06-29-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 06:00 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Originally Posted by VarTheVar
That's a misconception. Material science, manufacturing advances, understanding of crash structures, computer modeling, and airbags have made it possible to build a 2500lb car that passes safety regulations in the modern day. Proof is that they do today. They're just rare because people WANT bigger cars. Well, I say that I don't care if you WANT a bigger car. I WANT a naturally aspirated V8 but regulations don't allow it. So why not start penalizing for building larger cars as well. They have the same negative effects.
I owned an Alfa 4C Spider. So, I know that it's certainly possible to build a lightweight car. There are big differences between a carbon tubbed featherweight machine and a 73 911. Truth be told, most buyers aren't willing to make the compromises that come with a lightweight car. The 4C was a handbuilt car made in tiny volumes for that tiny market of buyers. It should be noted that even the little 4C couldn't meet evolving safety requirements -- new coupes could no longer be sold in the US. Spiders were discontinued shortly thereafter.

(My beloved 4C Spider perished while parked at the Alfa Romeo dealer. An employee didn't see it in when they were driving a box truck around the corner -- they crashed right into my parked 4C. You haven't lived the full life of possibilities until your service manager calls you to tell you that your car was totaled while in for service.)

If you want a naturally aspirated V8, the Corvette C8 still very much exists. New cars with NA V8s still exist.
Old 06-27-2024, 06:26 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 721 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunky
Why do manufacturers need to be "penalized" for building the cars that people want to buy and drive. That is absolutely ridiculous and I don't want to be forced to live only where I can recharge my f'ng EV that the government forced me to buy. Forget about all of that. Pretty sure that I speak for well over 100 million Americans if not more with that statement.

Well you speak for me too. I'd rather not have any regulations but that's not the world we live in. If it was up to me there would be mandatory crash testing and reporting but no safety standards. If people want to buy a dangerous car they should be allowed to
Old 06-27-2024, 06:31 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
I owned an Alfa 4C Spider. So, I know that it's certainly possible to build a lightweight car. There are big differences between a carbon tubbed featherweight machine and a 73 911. Truth be told, most buyers aren't willing to make the compromises that come with a lightweight car. The 4C was a handbuilt car made in tiny volumes for that tiny market of buyers. It should be noted that even the little 4C couldn't meet evolving safety requirements -- new coupes could no longer be sold in the US. Spiders were discontinued shortly thereafter.

(My beloved 4C Spider perished while parked at the Alfa Romeo dealer. An employee didn't see it in when they were driving a box truck around the corner -- they crashed right into my parked 4C. You haven't lived the full life of possibilities until your service manager calls you to tell you that your car was totaled while in for service.)

If you want a naturally aspirated V8, the Corvette C8 still very much exists. New cars with NA V8s still exist.
I still shed a tear when you remind us of that very sad event....
detansinn (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 06:38 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,776 Likes on 5,141 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn

A 4C, while a great car, is like listening to nails on a chalkboard on a never ending loop if have to you use it as a daily driver, which is what most people do when buying a 911.

And, no, cars are not getting smaller.

Aside from all the factors already mentioned, eg, safety, consumer preferences, emissions, etc., one thing that hasn’t been mentioned is the size of the actual owners of these cars.

People are bigger than they were 50 years ago. And just fatter.

Going back to the 4C, I would venture 75% of 911 owners would have a hard time fitting inside the Alfa, to say nothing of actually trying to get in (and then out) without herniating a disc or two.

So people may say they want a smaller car but they will buy a big car - because it fits their lifestyle, literally and figuratively.

it’s just like with dieting. People will say they want to eat healthy and lose weight but they then make a Starbucks Frappuccino with extra whip cream part of their daily meal plan.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 06-27-2024 at 06:56 PM.
detansinn (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 07:43 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,512 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Did you test AI to write this post? Sounds like it.
Originally Posted by cebe
Probably I am lacking sufficient proficiency in the English language, as it is not my mother tongue, but I have problems in understanding what you really mean.
Well, you just confirmed my guess. If you can’t understand my simply question if you used AI (aka Artificial Intelligence tools like ChatGPT) to write your post I doubt you actually wrote that post yourself. Either copy paste from an article you found or you typed in “Euro 7 compliance problems” into ChatGPT or similar. The fact it’s not your native language makes it even more likely that my guess is right. I was just asking the question as the way the entire post is articulated and structured is what you find when using AI to write for you. Simple question. PS: If you indeed wrote it, kudos to you as you write better than 99% of native speakers. JMHO

Originally Posted by yrralis1
You don’t have to defend your English proficiency. It doesn’t matter what language you tell him he can’t cope with anything even subtly contrarian to this GTS. It’s fanboyism in its purest form.
You sir need to take your blinders off and read and understand what I write. I asked if he used AI to write his post and no word about any content, or mentioning of anything else. Get a live.

Last edited by Tobeit; 06-27-2024 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-28-2024, 01:52 PM
cebe
Pro

Received 455 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Well, you just confirmed my guess. If you can’t understand my simply question if you used AI (aka Artificial Intelligence tools like ChatGPT) to write your post I doubt you actually wrote that post yourself. Either copy paste from an article you found or you typed in “Euro 7 compliance problems” into ChatGPT or similar. The fact it’s not your native language makes it even more likely that my guess is right. I was just asking the question as the way the entire post is articulated and structured is what you find when using AI to write for you. Simple question. PS: If you indeed wrote it, kudos to you as you write better than 99% of native speakers. JMHO

You sir need to take your blinders off and read and understand what I write. I asked if he used AI to write his post and no word about any content, or mentioning of anything else. Get a live.
Sir, will all due respect, I am at a loss to formulate an answer.
I understand that most people write on rennlist like they are chatting in a bar or something, but I try to formulate my point as clear as possible and in a formal and polite way out of respect for the community in general.
Yes, I read some articles on the EURO 7 regulation before posting, but this is just how an average person would try to get informed before speaking about a subject.
On a separate note, being almost 60 I have no idea how to actually use ChatGPT or any similar service ... maybe I should give it a try ... ;-)

Cheers!

Last edited by cebe; 06-28-2024 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-28-2024, 01:58 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,776 Likes on 5,141 Posts

I understand that most people write on rennlist like they are chatting in a bar or something, but I try to formulate my point as clear as possible and in a formal and polite way out of respect for the community in general.
Yes, I read some articles on the EURO 7 regulation before posting, but this is just how an average person would try to get informed before speaking about a subject.
On a separate note, being almost 60 I have no idea how to actually use ChatGPT or any similar service ... maybe I should guve it a try ... ;-)

Cheers!
You, sir, have absolutely nothing to apologize for.

Your English, and grasp of the language to convey your thoughts, are outstanding.

I only wish that some native English speakers could read and write as well as you do.
Old 06-28-2024, 02:05 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

On a separate note, being almost 60 I have no idea how to actually use ChatGPT or any similar service ... maybe I should guve it a try ... ;-)

Cheers!
Well, I asked a simple question - nothing more, nothing less. As I said, if you indeed wrote it yourself - all kudos to you. You know what I am thinking.
Old 06-28-2024, 02:13 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

PS, why I asked. Her is an example how the free version of ChatGPT answers to "Explain impact of Euro 7 to porsche 911 999.2 release"

The introduction of Euro 7 emission standards would have several potential impacts on the release of the Porsche 911 992.2, particularly if it coincides with or follows closely after its planned release timeline. Here’s how Euro 7 could affect the Porsche 911 999.2:
  1. Emission Compliance: Porsche would need to ensure that the 911 999.2 complies with the stricter Euro 7 emission standards. This might require the implementation of advanced emission control technologies, such as improved catalytic converters, particulate filters, or potentially even hybridization, depending on the severity of the emission limits.
  2. Development Timeline: If Euro 7 standards are finalized and implemented before or during the development phase of the 911 999.2, Porsche may need to adjust its development timeline to incorporate the necessary technological advancements and ensure compliance. This could potentially delay the release of the model if significant redesigns or testing are required.
  3. Performance and Design: Meeting Euro 7 standards could influence the performance characteristics and design choices of the 911 999.2. Porsche might need to balance achieving compliance with maintaining the high-performance expectations associated with the 911 model line, such as engine power output, acceleration, and handling dynamics.
  4. Cost Implications: Implementing Euro 7-compliant technologies could increase production costs for Porsche. This might affect pricing strategies for the 911 999.2, potentially leading to higher prices for consumers unless offset by other cost-saving measures or efficiencies.
  5. Market Strategy: The timing of Euro 7 implementation could influence Porsche’s market strategy for the 911 999.2. They may prioritize launching the model in regions where Euro 7 compliance is less stringent or where market demand is high despite regulatory challenges.
  6. Global Considerations: While Euro 7 standards are specific to the European Union, they often influence global automotive trends. Porsche may need to consider how Euro 7 compliance affects their global market strategy and product offerings beyond just the European market.
Overall, the impact of Euro 7 on the Porsche 911 999.2 release would depend on the specific timing of the standards’ implementation and the extent to which Porsche has already advanced in its development cycle. Adapting to Euro 7 regulations would require careful planning and potentially adjustments in technology, design, and market positioning for Porsche’s iconic sports car.

Last edited by Tobeit; 06-28-2024 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-29-2024, 07:54 AM
cebe
Pro

Received 455 Likes on 192 Posts

Back to the original topic and giving credit for the latest insider information to user Silversurfer6, it appears indeed that the GT3 and Turbo S variants will be presented respectively sometime in December 2024 and January 2025: this is much earlier than expected given the precedent of the 992.1 timeline I have spelled out in the opening.

I would bet that these two variants if indeed presented this early in the life-cycle of the 992.2 may not have fully EURO 7 compliant tires and brakes and be faster on the Nurburgring for that.

Just my speculation.

Quick Reply: Will upcoming EURO 7 influence the 992.2 model timeline?