Sponsored by:

New 911 Hybrid vs Old 911: Drag Race

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2024, 05:25 PM
GLS
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
My car was built for that event in 2007 to 2009. At the time while they were doing the project I saw a few crashes take place. When you are taking the car that far out of Porsche parameters, you basically are becoming the test driver. One guy had his sunroof collapse at about 230 miles an hour. The Porsches were going in the 230s . At the time, the American tuners were the best in the world and people from other countries were bringing their cars here and then taking them back and posting videos of their races on YouTube.

When the 991 came out another tuner from Turkey called ES tuning Came along and blew everyone away. They are the ones making the fastest cars now at that time the active forum for this event was. 6speedonline . it’s much more quiet now, but they have kept this thread up-to-date all these years. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...le-thread.html

When he came down to my 992 GTS and my 997 modified turbo and I was planning on getting the new car. One of them had to go and I chose the 992. That is how intense these purpose built cars can be. Right now the record holder at this event is a Ford GT who did the mile in 300 mph. There are videos of it on YouTube. It’s quite a sight and very impressive. Recognize a few names on this forum that have done the event. They don’t post often . as you can see there are some 996s that was smoking 1992 turbo S. The modified car at this level even on stock internals drives totally different. Most of the OEM cars lead off at the top of each gear to some degree. These modified cars slam into the pick up and keep going. The top of that list have changed the internals and have gone up and beyond, it’s a very serious event and I have not totally written off doing it forever.

Edit ... here is the Ford Gt and current record holder ,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35QMyv-CsFs
Thanks for sharing all that info. It is interesting to hear that 911 owners have participated. I’m a native Texan and may try to attend the next event as a spectator. Again unbelievable event. There is also an event you may be aware of which is the Big Ben Open road race in West Texas. https://bborr.com. I’ve had friends participate in that event who enjoyed it immensely.
The following users liked this post:
yrralis1 (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 05:38 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Isn't the embargo on the new 992.2 still in effect?
Originally Posted by aggie57
perhaps this falls into the category of a ‘tease’
Two Porsche press cars and a Porsche spokesperson...it's a Porsche marketing stunt, plain and simple.
Old 06-26-2024, 06:04 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 741 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by GLS
Thanks for sharing all that info. It is interesting to hear that 911 owners have participated. I’m a native Texan and may try to attend the next event as a spectator. Again unbelievable event. There is also an event you may be aware of which is the Big Ben Open road race in West Texas. https://bborr.com. I’ve had friends participate in that event who enjoyed it immensely.
My cars project began in 08 but the tuners back then had 8 years to perfect the 996 as it took time to learn the 997 in order to surpass it , This was my tuners 996 at the Mile . After I saw this I went all in on my 997. I still have the car . It only has 30K miles .

Last edited by yrralis1; 06-26-2024 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-26-2024, 06:26 PM
Hunky
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 80 Posts

My cars project began in 08 but the tuners back then had 8 years to perfect the 996 as it took time to learn the 997 in order to surpass it , This was my tuners 996 at the Mile . After I saw this I went all in on my 997. I still have the car . It only has 30K miles .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0P6VDQ1YDs
Damn Dude, that is some speed for sure. Impressive. Good job! Not ashamed to admit that I don't have the ***** to go that fast.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hunky:
GLS (06-26-2024), yrralis1 (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 07:29 PM
GLS
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunky
Damn Dude, that is some speed for sure. Impressive. Good job! Not ashamed to admit that I don't have the ***** to go that fast.
I second that! Wow!
yrralis1 (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 10:05 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GLS
I second that! Wow!
If this was with a 20 year old engine can you imagine where Porsche could have taken ICE ? The tuners were able to do it back then and among guys like me we thought Porsche simply could not cost effectively warranty this type of car . We also thought that they didnt want ordinary drivers crashing on public roads . The Gt1 engine found in the 996 and 997 Turbo and Gt3 was the last of the dry sump engines . They were the ideal platform to modify . In order to have PDK they had to integrate the engine (DFI ) .
The cars that many want is a high Hp manual in the new car . We never got to see that Porsche could have built .
Instead we get this upside down and backward hybrid 200K compliance car and because Matt Watson beat Mark Webber they are sold .
I loved my 992 . It was a mature mans 911 and being older myself. it was more comfortable . The suspension in the 992 was fantastic too . Despite a full, overhaul (coil overs , sway bar ) the 992 had more finesse but in the straight line my 997 creamed it and that was even before the updated gear on it now ..
Old 06-26-2024, 11:17 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,806 Likes on 1,484 Posts

Only car I've ever hit top speed in was a 1974 Alfa GTV that I owned and had been prepped (and come 3rd) in a series production 500-mile race before I bought it. One evening I was on a new stretch of motorway, dead straight and slightly downhill for the 1st mile or so. Redline in 3rd (5700rpm). redline in 4th, hit the flat, redline in 5th and stop accelerating. That car was geared so beautifully; max torque was 3,000 rpm which was just over 60mph in 5th so great touring economy, max speed of 120mph right on the redline and max power in 5th. None of this long run-up nonsense, that car just accelerated to the max speed and stopped going any faster. 40+ years later I'm still impressed.
Old 06-27-2024, 11:38 AM
Hunky
Instructor

I went 115 mph in a 1963 Chevy Impala and that was really scary.
Old 06-27-2024, 12:26 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

I went 115 mph in a 1963 Chevy Impala and that was really scary.
There are certain cars that high speeds are terrifying . The 911 is rock solid . In fact the steering of the older car was less apt to react to the slightest move which added confidence . In my 992 steering with RAS and lightweight package the slightest move the car reacted . I still felt firm with it in those 60- !!! pulls . I never top ended any of my cars , not because I didnt want to but because there is no place to safely do it. My 997 does have an added aero kit package from Techart which I felt provided high speed added stability (compared to my non aero cars ) . There also was an aftermarket company called Rennkit that adjusts the height of the wing . In the highest setting the downforce is noticeable . I added that about 3 years ago .

Old 06-27-2024, 01:02 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 126 Posts

If this was with a 20 year old engine can you imagine where Porsche could have taken ICE ? The tuners were able to do it back then and among guys like me we thought Porsche simply could not cost effectively warranty this type of car . We also thought that they didnt want ordinary drivers crashing on public roads . The Gt1 engine found in the 996 and 997 Turbo and Gt3 was the last of the dry sump engines . They were the ideal platform to modify . In order to have PDK they had to integrate the engine (DFI ) .
The cars that many want is a high Hp manual in the new car . We never got to see that Porsche could have built .
Instead we get this upside down and backward hybrid 200K compliance car and because Matt Watson beat Mark Webber they are sold .
I loved my 992 . It was a mature mans 911 and being older myself. it was more comfortable . The suspension in the 992 was fantastic too . Despite a full, overhaul (coil overs , sway bar ) the 992 had more finesse but in the straight line my 997 creamed it and that was even before the updated gear on it now ..
I think the cars we enthusiasts want aren't always the ones that the mass market wants (and don't comply with upcoming mandates). We'd all love the GTS to come with an NA 4.0 with a manual transmission (basically a street GT3 with back seats), and not some wonky hybrid. In all fairness, Porsche is still making all the other 992.2 911s as ICE.

This GTS is basically a Porsche R&D car. The European Union and Britain plan to ban the sale of new combustion vehicles in 2035. That is either going to happen, and everything is electric, or it will soften and will require hybrids. Either way Porsche needs to explore EVs (Tacan) and hybrids (this car).
yrralis1 (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 01:31 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by forbiddenbeat
I think the cars we enthusiasts want aren't always the ones that the mass market wants (and don't comply with upcoming mandates). We'd all love the GTS to come with an NA 4.0 with a manual transmission (basically a street GT3 with back seats), and not some wonky hybrid. In all fairness, Porsche is still making all the other 992.2 911s as ICE.

This GTS is basically a Porsche R&D car. The European Union and Britain plan to ban the sale of new combustion vehicles in 2035. That is either going to happen, and everything is electric, or it will soften and will require hybrids. Either way Porsche needs to explore EVs (Tacan) and hybrids (this car).
The technicians all want ti buy the old school cars . The dealership went touch it . They want cars that they can CPO and modifications dint jive with that . Lately there is an added twist . They want easy customers who gleefully pay markups yet when they return those same cars fetch nothing . The cheapest GTS at my dealership is asking 175K yet mine which was full optioned that offered 130K . I was furious , walked up the block to an independent and they beat it by 16K . Thats a lot !!!!

This hybrid comes with a first time , challenging , controversial engine . The idea of paying 200K only to face the potential of being offered 100K two years from now is not happening . I do like the 718 RS but as much as I feel it's a long term keeper I would miss a 911 in my garage . I didnt think they would pick the GTS . I was guessing the Base or the S like with the Cayenne . Since the GTS is the highest RWD non GT car trim they punched a hole right into the heart of the lineup . For now I am just holding onto the money from my 992 . I had two great years with it . I am glad it's in my pocket and not on the road for now as I ponder whats next .
Old 06-27-2024, 01:52 PM
Hunky
Instructor

The technicians all want ti buy the old school cars . The dealership went touch it . They want cars that they can CPO and modifications dint jive with that . Lately there is an added twist . They want easy customers who gleefully pay markups yet when they return those same cars fetch nothing . The cheapest GTS at my dealership is asking 175K yet mine which was full optioned that offered 130K . I was furious , walked up the block to an independent and they beat it by 16K . Thats a lot !!!!

This hybrid comes with a first time , challenging , controversial engine . The idea of paying 200K only to face the potential of being offered 100K two years from now is not happening . I do like the 718 RS but as much as I feel it's a long term keeper I would miss a 911 in my garage . I didnt think they would pick the GTS . I was guessing the Base or the S like with the Cayenne . Since the GTS is the highest RWD non GT car trim they punched a hole right into the heart of the lineup . For now I am just holding onto the money from my 992 . I had two great years with it . I am glad it's in my pocket and not on the road for now as I ponder whats next .

Some very good points made here and things that had not crossed my mind. Even the possibility of Maserati or Bentley type depreciation is a hard on killer for sure. It will be interesting to see how things play out over the next couple years with the 992.2.
Picking up another Z06 now might be a good idea, this time a C8 as they are in the realistic price range most places.

Last edited by Hunky; 06-27-2024 at 02:25 PM.

Quick Reply: New 911 Hybrid vs Old 911: Drag Race