New 911 Hybrid vs Old 911: Drag Race

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2024, 11:41 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,543 Likes on 5,065 Posts

Originally Posted by VintageRacer
VW has invested in Rivian. They gave $5 Billion to a money losing USA manufacturer since Washington has taxpayer paid tariffs based on location?

I thought VW already had a good EV? And Porsche has the Taycan? VW is saying their EV's are really bad?

You will get a Rivian-Porsche 911 for $250,000? What could go wrong here?
Yes.

But is that really news.

If you've been inside a Rivian or driven a Lucid you will realize the Taycan is a generation behind, if not two.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
aggie57 (06-26-2024), CodyBigdog (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 12:25 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
oh hell, here we go again......
Exactly why I’m not going down this rabbit hole…

To the people in the market for a new 911 (everybody else doesn’t matter to Porsche): Buy it, or don’t, It’s here now, and there’s no going back. Deal with it.
The following users liked this post:
aggie57 (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 12:27 PM
Haros
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 141 Posts

“Old ****s shake fist in anger against change”
-Rennlist
Old 06-26-2024, 01:01 PM
inthesticks
Racer

Received 351 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by DrKarlB
0-60 measures acceleration, and is used every day, multiple times a day
Top speed has ZERO relevance except at cars and coffee and kidds card games...
You're taking my comment out of context.

I'm talking about in comparing sports cars. Things that actually differentiate them. And yes, top speed does matter for a sports car. And last I checked, the hypercars include it in their specs.

But keep doing 0-60 and barely beating a Tesla Model Y.

Old 06-26-2024, 01:54 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,266 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by cebe
In my opinion the biggest blunder about the new M5 is that it weights a massive 5,400 lbs and substantially more (hundreds of lbs!) than the outgoing model: this puts into perspective the direction taken and result achieved by Porsche with the 992.2 GTS.
Overall Porsche managed to keep the 911 basically in the same weight (ok, the real gain with the same options is about 100 lbs overall) range as the outgoing pure ICE variant while keeping the car compliant with current emission standards and marginally improve performance: this is not a given and not a negligible result.

We may not like how the 911 has evolved in the last 20 years but Porsche has done a decent job overall and the market has proven them right; sure a modern 911 that does not have to comply with current emissions and safety standards or that moves to a complete different pricepoint could be substantially lighter and be similar to a Singer, but it would be more of a supercar that an everyday sportscar.
Yep that hybrid system is crazy heavy. Basically 1000lb weight gain which is insane. I actually feel bad for the braking system. Power/weight ratio is worse than the last 2 generations of M5. Really bums me out. I'm sure it'll feel fast and having up to 40 miles of range on EV only mode will be enticing for some, but to me the M5 is the absolute wrong car to do this with.

Only good thing about the new M5 is that the priced it well below the Panamera and Mercedes E class equivalents.

Edit: just to add.... it weighs almost as much as my Cadillac Escalade, lol.

Last edited by slc4s; 06-26-2024 at 01:55 PM. Reason: disgust and fat shaming
Old 06-26-2024, 01:56 PM
DrKarlB
Instructor

Received 127 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by inthesticks
You're taking my comment out of context.

I'm talking about in comparing sports cars. Things that actually differentiate them. And yes, top speed does matter for a sports car. And last I checked, the hypercars include it in their specs.

But keep doing 0-60 and barely beating a Tesla Model Y.
Have you ever achieved top speed in ANY modern car?
Where do you do 120mph let alone 200mph ?
The road ? Thats just stupid
The track ? At least in NorCal none of the tracks have anything like a long straight to get much above 120-130mph
AutoBahn ? Not an option for me in the US
Private Airstrip ? Automakers Test Ring ? Nascar loops ?

I'd 1000% rather have good acceleration that can be felt than a "bragging number" for a top speed ill never achieve
0-60, 1/4mile ... whatever way you measure it

Ring times also show how capable the car is in a track with bumpy surface, turns, straights etc... both cornering and speed
Foures (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 02:35 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,543 Likes on 5,065 Posts

The track ? At least in NorCal none of the tracks have anything like a long straight to get much above 120-130mph

I'd 1000% rather have good acceleration that can be felt than a "bragging number" for a top speed ill never achieve

Ring times also show how capable the car is in a track with bumpy surface, turns, straights etc... both cornering and speed
You can without too much effort after Turn 11 at Laguna Seca.

And there are probably more opportunities at Thunderhill.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 06-26-2024 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-26-2024, 02:59 PM
DrKarlB
Instructor

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
You can without too much effort after Turn 11 at Laguna Seca.

And there are probably more opportunities at Thunderhill.
Laguna Seca Max speed record is 155mph in a MclarenP1... still not close to top speed
... but top speed of a base Carrera is 190mph, not 120-130mph
F1 cars only get above 200mph of certain tracks
I will never hit top speed in my T at any track ive been to

Last edited by DrKarlB; 06-26-2024 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-26-2024, 03:04 PM
Hunky
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 97 Posts

So many valid points made here.
Who cares about "top speed"? Bragging rights indeed. Only a total *** clown is going to chest beat about his performance car's top speed. Jeeeezuuus, that is for morons.
Foures (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 03:12 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

IMO, the only speed metrics that are relatable, while driving on the street, are 0-50/60mph (to a degree) and merging/passing speeds (e.g., 30-70 mph, etc). On the track, it’s a different story, although I’ve never reached top speed on any car that’ve tracked.. .Saab Turbo, M4 and the 992.1S. I would guess that the vast majority, of even Porsche owners, rarely, if ever, get to the track. Slalom might be more likely….so handling/agility.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-26-2024 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-26-2024, 04:12 PM
GLS
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Laguna Seca Max speed record is 155mph in a MclarenP1... still not close to top speed
... but top speed of a base Carrera is 190mph, not 120-130mph
F1 cars only get above 200mph of certain tracks
I will never hit top speed in my T at any track ive been to
Not trying to be a smart*** but has anyone heard of the Texas mile? www.theusmileracing.com. Don’t know if you could reach top speed in a mile though.
Old 06-26-2024, 04:25 PM
DrKarlB
Instructor

Originally Posted by GLS
Not trying to be a smart*** but has anyone heard of the Texas mile? www.theusmileracing.com. Don’t know if you could reach top speed in a mile though.
The link shows a bunch of highly tuned cars and bikes for the most part (240mph Mustangs)
Looks like a more stock R8 hit 156mph.... again far from its top speed.

Perhaps for the one guy who wants to enter his new 911 in the Texas Mile, then the top speed specs might be important to him ??

For the other 99.999% of owners, its pretty meaningless
Old 06-26-2024, 04:59 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 753 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by GLS
My car was built for that event in 2007 to 2009. At the time while they were doing the project I saw a few crashes take place. When you are taking the car that far out of Porsche parameters, you basically are becoming the test driver. One guy had his sunroof collapse at about 230 miles an hour. The Porsches were going in the 230s . At the time, the American tuners were the best in the world and people from other countries were bringing their cars here and then taking them back and posting videos of their races on YouTube.

When the 991 came out another tuner from Turkey called ES tuning Came along and blew everyone away. They are the ones making the fastest cars now at that time the active forum for this event was. 6speedonline . it’s much more quiet now, but they have kept this thread up-to-date all these years. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...le-thread.html

When he came down to my 992 GTS and my 997 modified turbo and I was planning on getting the new car. One of them had to go and I chose the 992. That is how intense these purpose built cars can be. Right now the record holder at this event is a Ford GT who did the mile in 300 mph. There are videos of it on YouTube. It’s quite a sight and very impressive. Recognize a few names on this forum that have done the event. They don’t post often . as you can see there are some 996s that was smoking 1992 turbo S. The modified car at this level even on stock internals drives totally different. Most of the OEM cars let off at the top of each gear to some degree. These modified cars slam into the next gear then pick up and keep going. The top of that list have changed the internals and have gone up and beyond, it’s a very serious event and I have not totally written off doing it forever.

Edit ... here is the Ford Gt and current record holder ,

Last edited by yrralis1; 06-26-2024 at 05:20 PM.
GLS (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 05:00 PM
GLS
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

The link shows a bunch of highly tuned cars and bikes for the most part (240mph Mustangs)
Looks like a more stock R8 hit 156mph.... again far from its top speed.

Perhaps for the one guy who wants to enter his new 911 in the Texas Mile, then the top speed specs might be important to him ??

For the other 99.999% of owners, its pretty meaningless
Thank you for your insights.
Old 06-26-2024, 05:20 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 126 Posts

I've found it refreshing to stop caring about straight line speed. There is always someone faster. You can just put more money into a car and make it go faster in a straight line, and for the most part the newer car will always be faster in that regard.

I've also realized how important straight line speed is depends on where you live. I live in California, where we have miles and miles of beautiful curvy driving roads and not a lot of super straight, super long roads. A 1300hp Turbo here would feel constrained (let alone some of these Texas mile winner builds), and probably be a great way to kill yourself on a curvy road. Modern cars have been too fast for these kinds of roads for over a decade. But if you live in Texas, straight line acceleration is probably the best way to have fun.

Point is, we all have different preferences. It's totally okay for some to care about 0-60, 0-100, standing mile, etc., and others to care about track times, and others to care most about enjoying the sound and manual input of a lower-hp car in curvy roads.

The following 2 users liked this post by forbiddenbeat:
GLS (06-26-2024), Victory911 (06-26-2024)

Quick Reply: New 911 Hybrid vs Old 911: Drag Race