Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After 2 laps with .2 GTS which performance do you expect?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2024, 07:42 AM
ed_rx7
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
I don’t think the new GTS will be the base for the new race car (a new GT3 or GT2 will be). So for the rest of us surviving a full, long lap on the ring is more fully throttle driving than 99.9% of GTS buyers will ever do. JMHO
Also did anyone consider if it was the same driver!

there is alit to be gained from changing drivers and we all know not all drivers are the same …. Unless of course they did use the same driver and they did a back to back test with the 992.1 and 992.2.

or are they comparing from data drawn over 2 years ago!?
Old 06-14-2024, 10:20 AM
CurryPuff
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by ed_rx7

or are they comparing from data drawn over 2 years ago!?
It's not the same driver. 992.1 was Lars Kern. 992.2 is Jörg Bergmeister.
I also recall reading where it was mentioned the 992.1 GTS nurburgring run wasn't as prepped as the GT3. If they had spent more time on it, the car could've shaved much more time.

Source: https://www.carthrottle.com/reviews/...ont-i-want-one
Snippet: The GTS is still obscenely quick, which is entirely unsurprising given that the uplift in power gives a new figure of 473bhp. That isn’t much less than a GT3. Its 7:25.632 Nurburgring lap lags behind the GT3’s 6:59.927, but Lars Kern, who was behind the wheel for both efforts, reckons a more concerted effort with the GTS (including some tweaks and better tyres) would yield a circa-7:10.

Last edited by CurryPuff; 06-14-2024 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-14-2024, 01:17 PM
user 999993337
Banned

Received 179 Likes on 95 Posts

This guy is amazing.

Hopefully, some of the so-called engineers on this forum will listen to real engineering for once, instead of just writing nonsense that they insist on forcing on the rest of us.
The following users liked this post:
Jeff Whitten (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 02:38 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 827 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by melhechi

This guy is amazing.

Hopefully, some of the so-called engineers on this forum will listen to real engineering for once, instead of just writing nonsense that they insist on forcing on the rest of us.
He absolutely is. I've been watching him for years and he's extremely knowledgable. I will say though that I didn't see anything in the video that wasn't already disclosed and talked about by Porsche or other outlets (Car and Driver, etc.). Maybe it was more detailed but it was already known. We know from the Tribute 919 how much power Hybrid can make. My issues are two-fold. One, no manual. Deal breaker for me. Two, battery depletion and regeneration time. We'll have to wait for real world tests and reviews for that one. He didn't talk about it.

And yes, bad air is not good. Tell that to all the V8 pickups driving around with nothing in the bed and only one person in it. Porsche is doing great things with their synthetic fuel. I hope that it has a future. Even if it doesn't, the system can be used to clean the air. And lastly, I'll say it again, I don't think EV/Hybrid is the answer.
Old 06-14-2024, 02:43 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,512 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by Ikone
He absolutely is. I've been watching him for years and he's extremely knowledgable. I will say though that I didn't see anything in the video that wasn't already disclosed and talked about by Porsche or other outlets (Car and Driver, etc.). Maybe it was more detailed but it was already known. We know from the Tribute 919 how much power Hybrid can make. My issues are two-fold. One, no manual. Deal breaker for me. Two, battery depletion and regeneration time. We'll have to wait for real world tests and reviews for that one. He didn't talk about it.

And yes, bad air is not good. Tell that to all the V8 pickups driving around with nothing in the bed and only one person in it. Porsche is doing great things with their synthetic fuel. I hope that it has a future. Even if it doesn't, the system can be used to clean the air. And lastly, I'll say it again, I don't think EV/Hybrid is the answer.
He actually talked about the regeneration - when you don't operate on that top curve (example point 3), the emotor as well as the exhaust help recharging. The point is that even in most spirited driving you are not hogging on that top line all the time and every second you don't it recharges. Having the emotor and exhaust help with that in unison makes it most efficient.
Old 06-14-2024, 02:53 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

He actually talked about the regeneration - when you don't operate on that top curve (example point 3), the emotor as well as the exhaust help recharging. The point is that even in most spirited driving you are not hogging on that top line all the time and every second you don't it recharges. Having the emotor and exhaust help with that in unison makes it most efficient.
I watched the entire video. I don't think he said (or even can) how much it will regen. He mentions at what point in the curve it regenerates, but that doesn't tell me if it will still deplete. If you're using the battery, you need to charge it more than what you are using. I'd like to know where that point is. Everyone is saying that you need to go all out. Okay, what does that mean? Redline the entire time? How long? I'm just guessing here, but I bet the battery will be depleted with some track driving for about 30 minutes or even spirited driving like I had mentioned before (Tail of the Dragon, etc.). Looking forward to real world reviews.

Look, not trying to be pessimistic, but also not just hitting the 'I believe' button here without seeing some evidence.
Old 06-14-2024, 02:58 PM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 701 Likes on 321 Posts

Porsche unlikely to release anymore details in this area on regen. As customers and reviewers get the first hybrids, hopefully some data when we reach that milestone.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jeff Whitten:
Ikone (06-14-2024), Tobeit (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,512 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by Ikone
I watched the entire video. I don't think he said (or even can) how much it will regen. He mentions at what point in the curve it regenerates, but that doesn't tell me if it will still deplete. If you're using the battery, you need to charge it more than what you are using. I'd like to know where that point is. Everyone is saying that you need to go all out. Okay, what does that mean? Redline the entire time? How long? I'm just guessing here, but I bet the battery will be depleted with some track driving for about 30 minutes or even spirited driving like I had mentioned before (Tail of the Dragon, etc.). Looking forward to real world reviews.

Look, not trying to be pessimistic, but also not just hitting the 'I believe' button here without seeing some evidence.
There is no easy way to answer that as it all depends at what point in the area under curve you are and for how long. But I can imagine that Porsche has a smart engine management system that does not work like on/off like some folks here are afraid (sudden loss of boost and kick-in from emotor and eturbo). Instead, battery load and use is being monitored and discharge and recharge are being managed to make it a smooth experience. Hyper racing cars do that for what 10 years now to survive an antire race..which is much longer than the 30min you worry about.
Old 06-14-2024, 03:02 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

There is no easy way to answer that as it all depends at what point in the area under curve you are and for how long. But I can imagine that Porsche has a smart engine management system that does not work like on/off like some folks here are afraid (sudden loss of boost and kick-in from emotor and eturbo). Instead, battery load and use is being monitored and discharge and recharge are being managed to make it a smooth experience. Hyper racing cars do that for what 10 years now to survive an antire race..which is much longer than the 30min you worry about.
True, but those hyper/hybrid race cars are tuned (configured) for that particular race. We will see.
Old 06-14-2024, 04:33 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,502 Likes on 937 Posts

Originally Posted by melhechi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3Q_tm5BTrY

This guy is amazing.

Ahhhhh…..see post 26.
Old 06-14-2024, 05:24 PM
user 999993337
Banned

Received 179 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Ahhhhh…..see post 26.
Watch the video at 12:27

Quick Reply: After 2 laps with .2 GTS which performance do you expect?