Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After 2 laps with .2 GTS which performance do you expect?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2024, 08:21 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,335 Likes on 2,122 Posts

I didn't know Porsche has an F1 team.
Old 06-13-2024, 08:25 PM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 734 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by shrimp money
They don’t. But do run in WEC. Here’s a good video that explains some of the tech detail for those interested.

https://www.redbull.com/us-en/videos...6-.com-version
Old 06-13-2024, 08:27 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 759 Likes on 330 Posts

They dont . They withdrew . They lack the development. . LeMans cars includes LMP1 which are hybrids . He mentioned F1 and none of the event cars are comparable to a mass produced street vehicle .
Old 06-13-2024, 08:57 PM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yrralis1
They dont . They withdrew . They lack the development. . LeMans cars includes LMP1 which are hybrids . He mentioned F1 and none of the event cars are comparable to a mass produced street vehicle .
If the “he” you are referring to is me, I explained above why I shared the F1 example. Only in reference to how similar tech is used in racing which was related to the OP thought. Battery usage, regen, etc.in his example. Only shared for those that maybe don’t watch racing, and might be interested how similar tech is used in racing. Wasn’t connecting F1 to the current Porsche GTS hybrid. Re-read my posts. Only a share for those interested.

Your’re are the one that continues to make the point they have no reference to street cars. Wasn’t my point or position. None of the race series are comparable to a GT or street car. But these types of technology advances usually start in racing, and trickle into production cars, be it for performance or efficiency.

WEC racing is maybe a better example. And Porsche is a major player in this series. Porsche racing development, trickles into Porsche GT cars, very clear path Porsche uses in Marketing and brand. And down into other 911 models. And now the beloved GTS.

And for those interested here a “Porsche” example of what’s possible with a no rules car with similar tech.

The following users liked this post:
user 999993337 (06-14-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 09:00 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 838 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Whitten
The comparison is around the hybrid technology with small battery which is similar. Specifically in this case based on commentary around single run performance, battery regen, and usage of the technology and over for track runs. If you think F1 is a level playing field, you haven’t been watching.
Been watching since Lauda days. I grew up watching in Germany. Not someone that just got into it because of Netflix. Sound familiar? Don't ASSume. And please don't make ridiculous comparisons.
Old 06-13-2024, 09:01 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jeff Whitten
If the “he” you are referring to is me, I explained above why I shared the F1 example. Only in reference to how similar tech is used in racing which was related to the OP thought. Battery usage, regen, etc.in his example. Only shared for those that maybe don’t watch racing, and might be interested how similar tech is used in racing. Wasn’t connecting F1 to the current Porsche GTS hybrid. Re-read my posts. Only a share for those interested.

Your’re are the one that continues to make the point they have no reference to street cars. Wasn’t my point or position. None of the race series are comparable to a GT or street car. But these types of technology advances usually start in racing, and trickle into production cars, be it for performance or efficiency.

WEC racing is maybe a better example. And Porsche is a major player in this series. Porsche racing development, trickles into Porsche GT cars, very clear path Porsche uses in Marketing and brand. And down into other 911 models. And now the beloved GTS.

And for those interested here a “Porsche” example of what’s possible with a no rules car with similar tech.

https://youtu.be/J7bG9sP0jGg?si=UGvV70ukUk2wJ2yc
That I agree with , It tricked down but the track is marketing whats next and hybrid is where legislators wanted it to be , And yes they WILL win .
Jeff Whitten (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 09:02 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 838 Likes on 416 Posts

They go by some strange name 'Audi'.
Old 06-13-2024, 09:03 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,233 Likes on 709 Posts

Are we allowed to call the 992 Carrera models a Panamera Coupe yet or is it still a big insulting no-no right now?
fxz (06-14-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 09:20 PM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ikone
Been watching since Lauda days. I grew up watching in Germany. Not someone that just got into it because of Netflix. Sound familiar? Don't ASSume. And please don't make ridiculous comparisons.
I explained why I shared this example above. Was not a direct comparison to F1. I also shared above on WEC. Not sure what your other comments are related to, but thanks for sharing how long you have been watching F1. Under the ASSume category, you are in the lead by far. Just sharing info for those might be interested. If you’re looking for a fight, you got the wrong person. Take what you like, leave the rest is my motto. Have a good day.

Old 06-13-2024, 09:30 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,552 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by PSPorsche
Unless you never break and drive full throttle all the time, this will not happen to you.
Well, it’s brake, not break, but I do drive WOT all the time on track. As my first instructor said, there is no coasting on the track . You’re just mashing different pedals at different times. So, the Porsche engineer’s unfortunate comment unintentionally started this controversy so Porsche needs to clarify…..which would be very simple. Take a 992.2GTS and put the energy screen on the PCM so we can see energy depletion and production. Then take an amateur driver and run the car hard on the Ring (or a similar track) for 30 minutes recording the energy screen. It is what it is. Show me! Arguments done.

Last edited by Fullyield; 06-13-2024 at 09:46 PM.
yrralis1 (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 10:48 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Well, it’s brake, not break, but I do drive WOT all the time on track. As my first instructor said, there is no coasting on the track . You’re just mashing different pedals at different times. So, the Porsche engineer’s unfortunate comment unintentionally started this controversy so Porsche needs to clarify…..which would be very simple. Take a 992.2GTS and put the energy screen on the PCM so we can see energy depletion and production. Then take an amateur driver and run the car hard on the Ring (or a similar track) for 30 minutes recording the energy screen. It is what it is. Show me! Arguments done.
I don't think they want us to see it . They want us to see Matt Watson beat Mark Webber in a drag race and add Lemans hybrids winning to sell cars . They keep the productions low so unless a person pays an ADM or knows the secret hand shake he might not get a car . Then Porsche brilliantly raises the price and now we are here . A GTS with a full spec is eyeballing 200K when just two years ago a turbo S was at that price .

Some of the excuses are valid . cant get the materials , manufacturing concerns , transport issues (IE sinking boat) , and others car manufacturers making cheaper cars that are trying to compete in a high interest economy .
Porsche has to keep the fantasy alive . Thats marketing . Convince everyone that your product is so bright and shiny that one wil give anything to have it .

Enter the GTS . They picked what most called "the sweet spot" of the first gen to package it early and sell the wolrld at its premiere that it is perfect . They almost had me too.Yet if Im am about to spend this much I wanted to know as much as possible and be wiling to accept disappointment .

I think that a tough pill to swallow for a few on the thread . Denial is not just a river in Egypt .
Old 06-13-2024, 10:51 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,335 Likes on 2,122 Posts

We should all meet up at a parking lot with Hello My Name Is stickers on our chests and fight.
The following 2 users liked this post by shrimp money:
Ikone (06-14-2024), Jeff Whitten (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 11:05 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

We should all meet up at a parking lot with Hello My Name Is stickers on our chests and fight.
Porsche SHOW ME! You created the controversy so resolve it. Plus….

Plus, always wanted to knock a front tooth out of a dentist ala The Hangover. Your on. Ha ha ha ha.
Ikone (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 05:00 AM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Hmmm! That would be quite the spectacle. Car meets shed a lot of light on the members much of the time. Some of the most antagonistic people online end up being real dweebs in person; reticent when they can actually be held accountable on the spot. Very rarely does the man match the mouth, but I would love to see this play out.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 06-14-2024 at 05:07 AM.
Old 06-14-2024, 06:40 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by M3Inline6

Hmmm! That would be quite the spectacle. Car meets shed a lot of light on the members much of the time. Some of the most antagonistic people online end up being real dweebs in person; reticent when they can actually be held accountable on the spot. Very rarely does the man match the mouth, but I would love to see this play out.

M3Inline6 (06-14-2024)

Quick Reply: After 2 laps with .2 GTS which performance do you expect?