Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After 2 laps with .2 GTS which performance do you expect?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2024, 04:09 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 759 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Timeless992
All the engineers and hybrid experts on this thread, who have 93 years of car-building experience, have already condemned the car without even driving it or testing it on the track.

It's reassuring to know we’re surrounded by so many self-proclaimed experts who think they know better.

If only the Porsche engineers asked you first.
I am not condemning it but I am not spending 195 K to have it either ,
I was offered the first Base car today (delivery Aug 30) , Sadly its a a great car but a step down from my former GTS and I reluctantly passed .

My heart was set on the GTS and its a tremendous disappointment ,
The following users liked this post:
Fullyield (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 04:10 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,360 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
a) it's 100lbs, not a couple
b) it's not gone forever but will recharge - just think about it, theoretically driving only 7min laps on the ring and it takes one lap to deplete and another to recharge, then you still have a 8 second advantage vs 992.1 every second lap...just a mind experiment, no idea how long recharge takes.
c) didn't porsche also update other components that supposedly help handling
How would it go about it recharging the battery on the “second lap”? IMO, if a certain type of driving style depletes the battery, continuing to drive with that style will not provide an opportunity to recharge.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 06-13-2024 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-13-2024, 04:12 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,516 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
I am not condemning it but I am not spending 195 K to have it either ,
I was offered the first Base car today (delivery Aug 30) , Sadly its a a great car but a step down from my former GTS and I reluctantly passed .

My heart was set on the GTS and its a tremendous disappointment ,
What was your main concern? I think it was clear for some time it will be some type of hybrid. Price vs previous GTS? Some of the design choices? Concern about reliability? Just wondering and hope it was not the 1 lap comment? I am not in the market for one either but for different reasons.
Old 06-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 734 Likes on 340 Posts

Watch the next Formula 1 race. You can see this in play at the highest level in motorsports. Big difference between single lap best time (qualifying) and race performance over full race or track day where it needs to be managed a bit. I’m sure the 992.2 GTS will be a great track car.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jeff Whitten:
Timeless992 (06-13-2024), Tobeit (06-13-2024), user 999993337 (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 04:59 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 838 Likes on 416 Posts

a) it's 100lbs, not a couple
b) it's not gone forever but will recharge - just think about it, theoretically driving only 7min laps on the ring and it takes one lap to deplete and another to recharge, then you still have a 8 second advantage vs 992.1 every second lap...just a mind experiment, no idea how long recharge takes.
c) didn't porsche also update other components that supposedly help handling
I guess I was comparing MT 992.1 to PDK 992.2. Definitely a bit more difference.
Old 06-13-2024, 05:07 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jeff Whitten
Watch the next Formula 1 race. You can see this in play at the highest level in motorsports. Big difference between single lap best time (qualifying) and race performance over full race or track day where it needs to be managed a bit. I’m sure the 992.2 GTS will be a great track car.
I don't know why folks keep bringing up F1. It's ruled by regulations and everyone has to abide by them. It's (mostly) a level playing field. And we're not even touching on the technology being on a different level.

It's no comparison. It's like comparing a fighter jet to an airliner.
yrralis1 (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 05:45 PM
user 999993337
Banned

Received 179 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Ikone
I don't know why folks keep bringing up F1. It's ruled by regulations and everyone has to abide by them. It's (mostly) a level playing field. And we're not even touching on the technology being on a different level.

You talk about F1 as if it is alien technology from another planet, it is very similar to what Porsche did.
:
  • Internal Combustion Engine (ICE): Typically a turbocharged 6 Cylinder engine.
  • Energy Recovery Systems (ERS): Includes two components:
    • MGU-K (Motor Generator Unit - Kinetic): Recovers energy from braking.
    • MGU-H (Motor Generator Unit - Heat): Recovers energy from the turbocharger
  • Battery Pack: Stores the recovered energy.
  • Control Electronics: Manages the deployment and recovery of energy.

But you know better.

Last edited by user 999993337; 06-13-2024 at 05:49 PM.
Timeless992 (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 06:11 PM
aarodynamics
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

My 02cents - there will be no issue to track the GTS for an entire race if that is you want to do. May not have full e-motor boost all the time (only testing will tell how much real world the statement of lasting 1 lap means if anything for contineous racing) but will perform very well overall and likely easily outperform previous 992.1 GTS.
It'll be suboptimal on track if the 992.2 GTS isn't predictably delivering power after 7-minutes. I'd liken this to driving a car that is overheating (pulling timing and/or boost) which can be unpredictable. If the 992.2 GTS sometimes applies instant power and other times lags to provide power, then it would be difficult to throttle steer the car through turns and optimize exits. In a turbo car, I'll often get on the throttle early in anticipation of the lag, but you can't do this if the car sometimes behaves like an NA car and other times like an FI car. This isn't simply a matter of whether the car produces enough power, but how and when it produces that power to synchronize with the driver's inputs.
Fullyield (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 06:19 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,191 Likes on 3,027 Posts

My takeaway from this thread is that when a 992.2 GTS gets overtaken by a Miata or GR86 on a track day it will be blamed on the hybrid system. 😜
The following 3 users liked this post by detansinn:
defiant2 (06-13-2024), Jeff Whitten (06-13-2024), UncleDude (06-14-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 06:22 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by detansinn
My takeaway from this thread is that when a 992.2 GTS gets overtaken by a Miata or GR86 on a track day it will be blamed on the hybrid system. 😜
I can bring the Miata and GR86 to that showdown...someone else needs to bring the GTS
detansinn (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 06:24 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aarodynamics
It'll be suboptimal on track if the 992.2 GTS isn't predictably delivering power after 7-minutes. I'd liken this to driving a car that is overheating (pulling timing and/or boost) which can be unpredictable. If the 992.2 GTS sometimes applies instant power and other times lags to provide power, then it would be difficult to throttle steer the car through turns and optimize exits. In a turbo car, I'll often get on the throttle early in anticipation of the lag, but you can't do this if the car sometimes behaves like an NA car and other times like an FI car. This isn't simply a matter of whether the car produces enough power, but how and when it produces that power to synchronize with the driver's inputs.
I am sure Porsche engineers figured it out to control/manage and not boost randomly. They do it in their race cars for years and they can manage.
Old 06-13-2024, 06:42 PM
Pumpsmynads
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
Remember the crazy days of Gumball ? That was all out cross country pedal mashing . This car would break down .
just say you don’t understand how it works.
Old 06-13-2024, 06:52 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Haros
Are you a ****ing meth user?
This is a rapid discharge cell pulled from the 919, which itself is derived from F1 in an identical manner.
Not even Max Verstappen himself can do push laps for more than a single lap before needing to charge.
That’s what this system is in sport+, it’s full on time attack mode. It will charge normally and provide power in sport mode.

I don’t know why I’m even explaining this to you, considering you’ll have to read each word phonetically.

”hUr duR PorSche gOne wokE”
DUH ... The 919's entire existence was to use as a selling point of hybrid to EV transition . This was brought to you by EU legislation forcing engineers and Lemans .. well after Ford left Porsche ruled and Lemans is their best place to market . Race on Sunday and sell more cars on Monday is the name of the game. Porsche is caught in the web .. its no accident that the 963 is hybrid and they got you drinking the kool aid that they could never have done better with ICE , That somehow there needed the magical hybrid to be in "attack mode" when all along the EU restricted them from take Ice where we never got to see .

So keep drinking kool aid .
Here's the newest Porsche bone du jour . This is no accident but you fail to see it.

BTW . We live in the USA . WE are not bound by EU draconian laws .. which BTW might just change after last weeks elections .

55 percent of Americans would not give one dollar to commit combating climate change
59 percent will NOT buy EV

Funny how you think this is woke think when the entire agenda is coming from a further left than our own of another country with your car and money .. Ha !!!

Old 06-13-2024, 06:54 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by melhechi
You talk about F1 as if it is alien technology from another planet, it is very similar to what Porsche did.
:
  • Internal Combustion Engine (ICE): Typically a turbocharged 6 Cylinder engine.
  • Energy Recovery Systems (ERS): Includes two components:
    • MGU-K (Motor Generator Unit - Kinetic): Recovers energy from braking.
    • MGU-H (Motor Generator Unit - Heat): Recovers energy from the turbocharger
  • Battery Pack: Stores the recovered energy.
  • Control Electronics: Manages the deployment and recovery of energy.

But you know better.
lol. And batteries, tires, engines, etc are all the same technology so therefore the same. F1 techno’s in another league. Engine alone revs at 15k. Like I said fighter jet vs airliner.

Old 06-13-2024, 06:55 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ikone

Bingo !!

Quick Reply: After 2 laps with .2 GTS which performance do you expect?