Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After 2 laps with .2 GTS which performance do you expect?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2024, 01:16 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by Ikone
You may very well be correct. And agree. We'll know once they are being tested. Hoping to see some reviewers take them on a track and see how long it takes and what it does to subsequent lap times. I'm sure guys like Savage Geese and others will do this. And as mentioned before, am eager to see a video on it from Engineering Explained. I'm hopeful that it will be positive, but I'm also a realist.
yeah, see my edit above - it's also about people worry about loss of an advantage the 992.2 has, but even loosing it entirely at some point and for some duration until it gets recharged it does not make it slower or less capable on the track vs its 992.1 counterpart. Funny part for me is I dont even consider buying one but for entire different reasons than worrying about that.
Old 06-13-2024, 01:17 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

You may very well be correct. And agree. We'll know once they are being tested. Hoping to see some reviewers take them on a track and see how long it takes and what it does to subsequent lap times. I'm sure guys like Savage Geese and others will do this. And as mentioned before, am eager to see a video on it from Engineering Explained. I'm hopeful that it will be positive, but I'm also a realist.
Agree. If the 992.2 GTS purchaser is a track rat, the time to find out the answer to this question is before you buy it, not after. We will hopefully know in the Spring of 2025 unless Porsche explains or a qualified engineer does the computations for us.
The following users liked this post:
Ikone (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 01:26 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 808 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
once people get their new GTS delivered…we will know how many RL’ers will ever experience a loss of power due to battery running out of juice…my guess, probably nobody or very, very few because even RL’ers don’t get into situations like that. Even among RL’ers how many really race their cars to that level to get to that point!?
PS: And to repeat my point of how practical that battery concern is - when having too choose between a 992.1 and 992.2 GTS to race against each other, I can make a large bet which one would win no matter how long the race is.
I don't know. Once the battery is depleted, that additional couple hundred pounds may make it slower than the 992.1. IDK. Just saying.
Old 06-13-2024, 01:30 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

I don't know. Once the battery is depleted, that additional couple hundred pounds may make it slower than the 992.1. IDK. Just saying.
a) it's 100lbs, not a couple
b) it's not gone forever but will recharge - just think about it, theoretically driving only 7min laps on the ring and it takes one lap to deplete and another to recharge, then you still have a 8 second advantage vs 992.1 every second lap...just a mind experiment, no idea how long recharge takes.
c) didn't porsche also update other components that supposedly help handling
Old 06-13-2024, 01:33 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Agree. If the 992.2 GTS purchaser is a track rat, the time to find out the answer to this question is before you buy it, not after. We will hopefully know in the Spring of 2025 unless Porsche explains or a qualified engineer does the computations for us.
well, we will find out at some point. Also, my guess is the GTS is not targeted for track rats as prime customer to start with (but probably is a very capable track car nevertheless). Track rats should look at the GT2/3RS that are targeted for that.
Old 06-13-2024, 01:40 PM
user 999993337
Banned

Received 175 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
I get it. You are a fan who is unwilling to admit even one crumb of imperfection. In the meantime the old school NA Gt3 slam dunks this car and can run around the track until it runs out of gas .
I'm a die-hard fan of the school NA GT3, who isn't, it’s an amazing car!

I'm tired of repeating myself, like talking to a brick wall, the 3.6-liter engine will keep the car running until it is out of firkin gas!

Let’s wait for the car to come out before making any baseless judgments.
Old 06-13-2024, 01:44 PM
RRich
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
Read that after the NRing lap the battery was almost empty,

what happen to lag and performance when 0 battery left?

shall GTS owners seek a traffic jam to recharge it ? For how long?
I would expect turbo lag to be horrendous at low to mid-range rpm when the battery runs out of juice. With electrical power the system provides immediate and impressive power but when you take that away e-boost your left with one enormous turbo that also includes the deadweight of a motor/generator.
yrralis1 (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 01:53 PM
Timeless992
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

All the engineers and hybrid experts on this thread, who have 93 years of car-building experience, have already condemned the car without even driving it or testing it on the track.

It's reassuring to know we’re surrounded by so many self-proclaimed experts who think they know better.

If only the Porsche engineers asked you first.
The following 3 users liked this post by Timeless992:
mcacs1 (06-13-2024), Tobeit (06-13-2024), twospyders (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 01:55 PM
Haros
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 141 Posts

Edit

Last edited by Haros; 06-13-2024 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-13-2024, 01:56 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,030 Posts

a) it's 100lbs, not a couple
b) it's not gone forever but will recharge - just think about it, theoretically driving only 7min laps on the ring and it takes one lap to deplete and another to recharge, then you still have a 8 second advantage vs 992.1 every second lap...just a mind experiment, no idea how long recharge takes.
c) didn't porsche also update other components that supposedly help handling
It'll recharge, yes, but you're also going to be going hard on the throttle. Is the battery technology at a point where it recharges say, 5% everytime you let off the throttle? Basically, you're going to use up the energy in the battery more quickly than it's able to recharge.

If it could recharge fast enough, it wouldn't be depleted after one hero lap.
CanAutM3 (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 01:57 PM
Haros
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
Are you a ****ing meth user?
This is a rapid discharge cell pulled from the 919, which itself is derived from F1 in an identical manner.
Not even Max Verstappen himself can do push laps for more than a single lap before needing to charge.
That’s what this system is in sport+, it’s full on time attack mode. It will charge normally and provide power in sport mode.

I don’t know why I’m even explaining this to you, considering you’ll have to read each word phonetically.

”hUr duR PorSche gOne wokE”
The following 3 users liked this post by Haros:
rasetsu (06-13-2024), twospyders (06-13-2024), UncleDude (06-14-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 02:09 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

well, we will find out at some point. Also, my guess is the GTS is not targeted for track rats as prime customer to start with (but probably is a very capable track car nevertheless). Track rats should look at the GT2/3RS that are targeted for that.
Ha ha ha…..for the rich who can afford the GT cars maybe. I will let you in on a secret……..most of the serious track rats I know are driving a dedicated 987S, 981S or a Miata and they frequently outrun those GT cars……because they are much better drivers even in a slower car. I have tracked every one of the 7 Cayman and 911s owned and now track my 992.2S once or twice a year on average. Our lap sessions run 25-30 minutes. I will not buy any Porsche that does not provide consistent high performance throughout at least a 30 minute session. Not saying the 992.2GTS will or will not do it. Just saying I do not know and the unfortunate comment made by the Porsche engineer during the reveal about battery depletion on track raised the concern. I am not buying a 992.2GTS regardless. But, if I were buying, I would not do a damn thing until the answer to this question is resolved to my satisfaction.

Last edited by Fullyield; 06-13-2024 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-13-2024, 02:33 PM
aarodynamics
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Some enthusiasts who track their GT cars may want to track their additional daily-driven 911 (992.2 GTS in this case)…
  1. They may want to show up to some events in a more relaxed 911 (maybe they instruct and want to focus on coaching and socializing).
  2. Their GT car might be in for service or need service and not be ready for a track day.
  3. Maybe the track is further away and they don’t want to drive their GT car that extended distance (can’t fit luggage in a 992 3RS these days).
Every 911 should be able to run for 30-minutes on track. Hopefully the 992.2 GTS is no exception and there was just a misunderstanding in the Porsche Engineer’s statements everyone is referencing.

Last edited by aarodynamics; 06-13-2024 at 02:36 PM.
Fullyield (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 03:42 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aarodynamics
Some enthusiasts who track their GT cars may want to track their additional daily-driven 911 (992.2 GTS in this case)…
  1. They may want to show up to some events in a more relaxed 911 (maybe they instruct and want to focus on coaching and socializing).
  2. Their GT car might be in for service or need service and not be ready for a track day.
  3. Maybe the track is further away and they don’t want to drive their GT car that extended distance (can’t fit luggage in a 992 3RS these days).
Every 911 should be able to run for 30-minutes on track. Hopefully the 992.2 GTS is no exception and there was just a misunderstanding in the Porsche Engineer’s statements everyone is referencing.
My 02cents - there will be no issue to track the GTS for an entire race if that is you want to do. May not have full e-motor boost all the time (only testing will tell how much real world the statement of lasting 1 lap means if anything for contineous racing) but will perform very well overall and likely easily outperform previous 992.1 GTS.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tobeit:
Timeless992 (06-13-2024), user 999993337 (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 03:56 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Ha ha ha…..for the rich who can afford the GT cars maybe. I will let you in on a secret……..most of the serious track rats I know are driving a dedicated 987S, 981S or a Miata and they frequently outrun those GT cars……because they are much better drivers even in a slower car. I have tracked every one of the 7 Cayman and 911s owned and now track my 992.2S once or twice a year on average. Our lap sessions run 25-30 minutes. I will not buy any Porsche that does not provide consistent high performance throughout at least a 30 minute session. Not saying the 992.2GTS will or will not do it. Just saying I do not know and the unfortunate comment made by the Porsche engineer during the reveal about battery depletion on track raised the concern. I am not buying a 992.2GTS regardless. But, if I were buying, I would not do a damn thing until the answer to this question is resolved to my satisfaction.
you guys are over the top - so much worry that the additional battery supported power all goes away like puff, forever and all of a sudden the car is unuseable to track and literally a failure, garbage. You got to put a dust of reality in here - all based on a comment that the test driver who squeezed the hell out of the car to get the fastest ever GTS lap time by a large margin (8 seconds vs old 992!) mentioned it can (likely?) not do a second lap like that. My guess would be even if the car can, even he may not be able to repeat it back-to-back. So, what does this say for using the car for an entire race ...and you mention 30min (that's 4 laps or less on the ring). My bet stands - it will easily be faster than the previous GTS 992.1 and that what the benchmark is here for evolution of a model. My point on the GT car was - if you want to be much faster than that (aka compared to a GTS), get a GT spec car. If you don't want to be that fast, this entire discussion is meaningless.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tobeit:
mcacs1 (06-13-2024), Timeless992 (06-13-2024), user 999993337 (06-13-2024)

Quick Reply: After 2 laps with .2 GTS which performance do you expect?