Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After 2 laps with .2 GTS which performance do you expect?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2024, 11:21 AM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 808 Likes on 402 Posts

Can't imagine being on the race track with MHRA (Mild Hybrid Range Anxiety). LOL
The following users liked this post:
yrralis1 (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 11:44 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

...funny thread, people worrying they loose an extra max 50hp (likely less as its regenerative charging) after going full throttle one a timed Nurburgring lap aka that is an uninterrupted, max speed/acceleration/breaking/cornering lap for 7min with no other drivers around. Who has done that and who has done 2 of them in a row?
Old 06-13-2024, 11:45 AM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tobeit
...funny thread, people worrying they loose an extra max 50hp (likely less as its regenerative charging) after going full throttle one a timed Nurburgring lap aka that is an uninterrupted, max speed/acceleration/breaking/cornering lap for 7min with no other drivers around. Who has done that and who has done 2 of them in a row?
Umm.. Lots of people. Tracking a car is usually done for longer than 7 minutes at a time.

Edit: you don't have to have a track to yourself to deplete that battery. You can go all out on the Ring at certain times and events. And it's not about the Ring. It's about going all out and being without battery after 7-8 minutes. Do I care? No. Would I buy a first gen hybrid 911? No. I don't care how many hybrid race cars Porsche has built. This is new territory and a first year model. I'm good for now. Not hating, just stating the obvious.

Last edited by Ikone; 06-13-2024 at 11:51 AM.
CanAutM3 (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 11:51 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ikone
Umm.. Lots of people. Tracking a car is usually done for longer than 7 minutes at a time.
...you dont get my point, who has run a 7min lap time on the Nurburgring and who has attempted it twice in a row. You can track the new GTS and I would bet you despite being so limited as you worry about, it will beat the old 992.1 in an entire race of whatever laps it is.

PS: And I am serious - who here on RL has actually done it? You say "lots of people" - then lots if people should respond her and tell us what 7min lap time they did, twice in a row, Have you done it? I don't mean racing 2 laps, but racing 2 laps with 7min lap time because that is what everybidy is worry about that the new GTS can only do it once...

Last edited by Tobeit; 06-13-2024 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-13-2024, 12:05 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

...you dont get my point, who has run a 7min lap time on the Nurburgring and who has attempted it twice in a row. You can track the new GTS and I would bet you despite being so limited as you worry about, it will beat the old 992.1 in an entire race of whatever laps it is.

PS: And I am serious - who here on RL has actually done it? You say "lots of people" - then lots if people should respond her and tell us what 7min lap time they did, twice in a row, Have you done it? I don't mean racing 2 laps, but racing 2 laps with 7min lap time because that is what everybidy is worry about that the new GTS can only do it once...
Even Porsche Works Drivers can't do back-to-back hero laps on the Ring, to say nothing of the car itself.
Old 06-13-2024, 12:13 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

I get what you are saying (your point). What I'm saying is that one lap all out on the Ring is not a standard to go by. There are lots of events on the Ring where you could potentially be leading and have a couple of all out laps. But let's just say you can't. Let's say you are doing a few tourist laps. At what point do you deplete the battery if you go all out (except in traffic)? Do you recharge constantly and never deplete it fully? Do you know? My guess is that after a few laps it will be done at the latest. Yes, just my guess.

Now take the more realistic view. You're a weekend warrior and like to track your car on some track in the US. You don't think you're going to run out of juice at some point? Soon!
Old 06-13-2024, 12:14 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Even Porsche Works Drivers can't do back-to-back hero laps on the Ring, to say nothing of the car itself.
Irrelevant. No one is buying a GTS based on how many laps the battery can handle on the Ring. It's a sign of a major flaw for folks that will track the car.
alex2364 (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 12:17 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by melhechi
Buddy, it is not rocket science, use your common sense. Porsche stated the primary role of the hybrid system in this model is to enhance performance, not to serve as the main source of propulsion.​​​​​​When the hybrid battery is empty, the car will rely entirely on its ICE to continue operating. While the car may lose the additional boost provided by the electric motors, the powerful 3.6 is more than capable of maintaining high-performance levels. The turbo will still run, however you will encounter a normal turbo lag.

Moreover, the car continues to use regenerative braking to partially recharge the battery during driving and This helps to regain some electric power over time, especially during deceleration. In addition to that, because there is no wastegate, at high rpm, the motor turns into a generator and the electricity produced goes to the electric motor in the PDK and supplements power.

In normal driving modes, the system aims to maintain a certain level of battery charge (around 70%), ensuring that the battery is rarely completely depleted under regular driving conditions. However, in high-performance modes like Sport Plus, the system may use the battery more quickly to maximize performance, but this is balanced with regenerative braking and other recharging mechanisms.
I get it. You are a fan who is unwilling to admit even one crumb of imperfection. In the meantime the old school NA Gt3 slam dunks this car and can run around the track until it runs out of gas .
Old 06-13-2024, 12:20 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 327 Posts

Remember the crazy days of Gumball ? That was all out cross country pedal mashing . This car would break down .
Old 06-13-2024, 12:29 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

I'm also curious when people say you have to go 'all out'. What does that mean? What if I'm going all out in 2nd gear? Basically near redline for about 30 minutes? That's what I did when I drove the Tail of the Dragon. 2nd and 3rd. All out. What would happen to the battery on the .2 GTS?
Old 06-13-2024, 12:41 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

The truth is that everyone’s argument is based on speculation arising from an off hand comment made by a Porsche engineer during the reveal. His comment was not clear and English was his second language. Although he did state the battery would be depleted at the end of a 7 minute run on the Ring, he was cut off before he could add anything further. Porsche knows the answer. My thought when he said it was wouldn’t there be some regeneration during braking into the corners and was that factored in to your statement about battery depletion. He was unclear. It is just a math equation as we know the energy output for each contributing source. So, maybe Jason Fenske will do an Engineering Explained YT and run the numbers for us. I honestly do not know what the answer is but would like to find out.
Ikone (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 12:57 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
that's my point. People are worry about some, mostly theoretical limit they will not be exposed too...or it is very, very difficult to do and not a problem for 99.9% of drivers and use of cars.
Old 06-13-2024, 01:04 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

that's my point. People are worry about some, mostly theoretical limit they will not be exposed too...or it is very, very difficult to do and not a problem for 99.9% of drivers and use of cars.
That's a very shortsighted way of looking at the larger problem. And if you're on rennlist, most likely you are not the 99.9%.
Old 06-13-2024, 01:08 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ikone
That's a very shortsighted way of looking at the larger problem. And if you're on rennlist, most likely you are not the 99.9%.
once people get their new GTS delivered…we will know how many RL’ers will ever experience a loss of power due to battery running out of juice…my guess, probably nobody or very, very few because even RL’ers don’t get into situations like that. Even among RL’ers how many really race their cars to that level to get to that point!?
PS: And to repeat my point of how practical that battery concern is - when having too choose between a 992.1 and 992.2 GTS to race against each other, I can make a large bet which one would win no matter how long the race is.

Last edited by Tobeit; 06-13-2024 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-13-2024, 01:10 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

once people get their new GTS delivered…we will know how many RL’ers will ever experience a loss of power due to battery running out of juice…my guess, probably nobody or very, very few because even RL’ers don’t get into situations like that. Even among RL’ers how many really race their cars to that level to get to that point!?
You may very well be correct. And agree. We'll know once they are being tested. Hoping to see some reviewers take them on a track and see how long it takes and what it does to subsequent lap times. I'm sure guys like Savage Geese and others will do this. And as mentioned before, am eager to see a video on it from Engineering Explained. I'm hopeful that it will be positive, but I'm also a realist.

Quick Reply: After 2 laps with .2 GTS which performance do you expect?