Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

With the disappointment of the 992.2 - what other cars are you considering?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2024 | 04:02 PM
cptcolo0
Rennlist Member

Default 2025 BMW Z4 M40i Handschalter 6-speed manual

One car I would consider as an alternative, especially if you are looking for a manual is the new 2025 BMW Z4 M40i with the 6-speed "Handschalter" package (German for hand switch).

It has the legendary and very smooth B58 turbocharged 3.0L inline-6 engine with 382hp, 369lb*ft torque (I have on my 2023 BMW X5 45e). The 6 speed manual is supposed to be fairly similar to the Toyota Supra's 6-speed and said to be much better than the manuals available in BMW's other cars like the M2.

Overall it sounds like more of a comfortable GT car, but it only weighs ~3,490 lbs, has a close to 50/50 weight distribution, and starts at $69,950 USD.

With a few modest mods I think it could be very good:
1. Dinian Throttle Booster ($257.95) - can tighten up throttle response
2. Dinan Dinantroncis X stage 1, level 5, 91 octane tune ($609.95) - should boost crank hp up to ~435hp
3. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (1397.96) or Pilot Sport Cup 2 ($1,611.52) tires
4. Ohlins TOS MU00S1 Road & Track package ($2,716.6)
5. BMC Air Filter FB01054 ($102.3)

You could also add a cold air intake, but the above is probably what I would probably do. I think it is a very good looking car, it has iDrive 7.5 (preferred over iDrive8), but still probably not as special as a 992.

2025 BMW Z4 M40i Handschalter in San Remo Green

The following 3 users liked this post by cptcolo0:
mjj (07-28-2024), porschedood5000 (07-29-2024), Victory911 (07-27-2024)
Old 07-27-2024 | 06:18 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Wasn’t interested in another Carrera 992 variant anyway so no worries on my end. The only other 992 out there right now that I really want is the ST. I may be interested in a 992.2 GT3 depending on what they do to it. Otherwise I am good with my current fleet and incoming Emira.
Old 07-28-2024 | 09:49 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

The New Corvette ZR1 Is a Disappointment
It’s powerful, but a factory-tuned Z06 isn’t enough for the ZR1 label.Read in The New York Sun: https://apple.news/AWft6pc6-QVCxdiyoSYqL7Q
Old 07-28-2024 | 11:08 AM
alex2364
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fullyield
It’s powerful, but a factory-tuned Z06 isn’t enough for the ZR1 label.Read in The New York Sun: https://apple.news/AWft6pc6-QVCxdiyoSYqL7Q
The 1,064-HP, 215-MPH 2025 Corvette ZR1 Conquers All
Twin turbos, rear-wheel-drive, and more power than a Bugatti Veyron. Get excited.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a6...-zr1-revealed/
Old 07-28-2024 | 11:36 AM
Hunky
Pro

LOL, 670HP in the N/A C8Z06 vs 1,064HP with the Twin Turbo ZR1. Pretty sure it is safe to say that this is quite a bit more than an aggressive ECM calibration.
Old 07-28-2024 | 02:13 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Burning Brakes

The following users liked this post:
shuz (07-28-2024)
Old 07-28-2024 | 05:06 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Motor Trend Review and Article - 2025 Corvette ZR1 https://www.motortrend.com/news/2025...ign=registered
Old 07-28-2024 | 05:55 PM
Telynau
7th Gear

Originally Posted by cptcolo0
One car I would consider as an alternative, especially if you are looking for a manual is the new 2025 BMW Z4 M40i with the 6-speed "Handschalter" package (German for hand switch).

It has the legendary and very smooth B58 turbocharged 3.0L inline-6 engine with 382hp, 369lb*ft torque (I have on my 2023 BMW X5 45e). The 6 speed manual is supposed to be fairly similar to the Toyota Supra's 6-speed and said to be much better than the manuals available in BMW's other cars like the M2.

Overall it sounds like more of a comfortable GT car, but it only weighs ~3,490 lbs, has a close to 50/50 weight distribution, and starts at $69,950 USD.

With a few modest mods I think it could be very good:
1. Dinian Throttle Booster ($257.95) - can tighten up throttle response
2. Dinan Dinantroncis X stage 1, level 5, 91 octane tune ($609.95) - should boost crank hp up to ~435hp
3. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (1397.96) or Pilot Sport Cup 2 ($1,611.52) tires
4. Ohlins TOS MU00S1 Road & Track package ($2,716.6)
5. BMC Air Filter FB01054 ($102.3)

You could also add a cold air intake, but the above is probably what I would probably do. I think it is a very good looking car, it has iDrive 7.5 (preferred over iDrive8), but still probably not as special as a 992.

2025 BMW Z4 M40i Handschalter in San Remo Green
I have a new Z4 Handschalter roadster and it is a lovely car. I bought it as soon as the manual transmission became available. It is a very different experience than my 2024 992 T or my 2022 718 S coupes, however -- the Z4 is far less sharp, far less precise, less agile, and very much a luxury GT car vs the Porsche sports cars. Driving them back-to-back emphasizes these differences -- they are not subtle in any way. So if you are looking for a luxury roadster with a magnificent (one might even say legendary) straight 6 motor and excellent manual transmission, steering and brakes, the Z4 is a great choice. Mine was $73,970 with virtually every option, which is a lot lower than any Porsche (or pick your luxury brand) convertible. And forget about ADMs -- I was able to order the Z4 for less than list price.

I bought the Z4 in part because it has a 520+ lb. payload. We can fill it with large adults (e.g., I am a 6'1" 240 lb. weight lifter) and luggage without worrying about weight (also true of the 911, but not the 718). My wife loves the Z4 compared to the Porsches, which to be honest, she has zero interest in riding in, in part due to the firm ride, and in part due to the constant temptation to drive the cars fast. The Z4's seats are what you would expect in a luxury roadster (soft and comfortable, but with decent bolstering), with lots of adjustability. The ride is moderately firm but very comfortable. The powered convertible roof works flawlessly and the Z4 is strikingly quiet with the top down and the windows up. It is extremely quiet with the top up -- it is the most quiet convertible I have ever owned. At normal driving speeds you really don't lose anything to a coupe format (which doesn't exist), because of the improved rear wind shielding and the new sound dampening roof.

Visually, the Z4 is quite striking, even beautiful, especially in person, if you like the classic front engine BMW (or Mercedes) long hood. It looks a lot like a smaller BMW 840i convertible, which is a very good look in my opinion. Mine is in red metallic, an unusual BMW color but a dramatic presentation. I have been stopped several times already by people wanting to compliment it and find out what kind of car it is.

I must confess that I prefer the lines of the Z4 (and the BMW 8 series convertible) to the 911 Cabriolet -- it doesn't have the hump back that always looks like a deformity to me. Sorry if I offend Cabriolet owners. It is a matter of personal taste, of course. I personally love the look of that long, long BMW hood, which others may not.

The B58 engine is magnificent. Even though I am still breaking it in (4500 RPM max), it is clear that the engine loves to rev and pulls like a tractor. It is very smooth -- quite like a V8 -- far smoother than the 911 T flat six, which makes a comparable amount of power but lacks the feel of the low-end torque of the B58 straight six. Which makes sense, given that BMW also uses the B58 in luxury SUVs up through the X7. The exhaust is not loud or sharp even in Sport or Sport Plus mode -- it just burbles away with the same powerful ease that I hear from the naturally aspirated 5.3 L V8 in my wife's 2023 Tahoe. It backfires nicely in Sport and Sport Plus Mode if that's what you want, but does so in an understated way that is consistent with its luxury presentation. I don't normally like the Z4 to be backfiring as it is a bit inconsistent with its luxury character, but people apparently want to hear it, so BMW designed it in (at least in the Sport Modes). Comfort mode is very civilized, with no backfiring and just enough rich engine sound to make sure you know you have the B58 vs some lesser motor.

The build quality of my Z4 is excellent -- the leather, fit and finish are not up to 2024 911 standards, which are really extraordinarily high in my experience, but for half the price, very nicely done. I got the 19" wheels all around because I live in southwestern Connecticut, a modern land of potholes and gravel, and I wanted the extra rubber to protect the wheels. Chassis and body stability are excellent -- no shuddering or other nasty convertible effects even on rough roads. The Z4 feels very solid; just like my M550i and just like a BMW should. It passes the classic German door closing test with flying colors -- a solid thunk.

All in all the Z4 is a really wonderful car that we are lucky to still be able to buy given all the modern emissions and other regulations. I highly recommend it if it is the kind of thing you are looking for. But as should be obvious by this point in the post, it is not a replacement for a Porsche sports car (and in fairness to BMW, the Z4 is in no way intended to compete with a 911 or even a 718 -- it is made for a luxury roadster buyer, not a sports car buyer).

One final thought is that I don't want to damn the Z4's handling through faint praise -- it has excellent handling for its front engine, rear wheel drive design, and is quite agile enough for its purposes. Steering, brake and clutch are all excellent and provide a satisfying amount of engagement for the driver -- far more than any automatic transmission in my opinion. It is "easy" to drive and has shown absolutely no bad manners in the months I have driven it. It has a comfortable ride that your significant other will probably like a lot more than a 911 or 718. It is a genuine pleasure to drive once you get used to the thick BMW steering wheel, which feels a bit odd, at least to me. But I am writing this post on a Porsche 992 forum and necessarily have to compare the Z4's handling to that of the 992.1, which is, of course, equal to or superior in handling and overall balanced, sports car performance to any current production car. My solution to the question of "which one" is to have both.

Last edited by Telynau; 07-28-2024 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Fix typos
The following 5 users liked this post by Telynau:
cptcolo0 (07-29-2024), mjj (07-28-2024), porschedood5000 (07-29-2024), russdc (07-29-2024), Victory911 (07-28-2024)
Old 07-28-2024 | 06:24 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The past 911 is invariably the biggest competition for the new one
Old 07-28-2024 | 08:30 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by twospyders
To the Debbie downers… Cars and technology evolve. The worst “progress” was turbo charging which destroyed sound by muffling the engine and reducing responsiveness by introducing lag- a major performance deficiency. Now that should have caused an uproar. Fast forward to today and technology removes turbo lag by adding electricity through hybridization while also adding additional power. We should be cheering this, not vilifying it. Performance is expensive and Porsche has always delivered it with bullet proof reliability as compared to the competition.

I have a 2023 992 Targa GTS. I will sell it and upgrade.

I also have a Speedster and a manual 991.2 GT3. Those I will keep as they remain true engaging ICE experiences.
agree with this. The purity of the 911 “drivers cars” left the station with the 991.2 carerra. The extra weight, muted sound, and turbo lag fundamentally changed the 911s character.

I’m not a fan of losing switching the historical leman starter to a cheap looking starter button, but otherwise I’m fine with the 992.2 changes. There will be less lag with the hybrid and much better performance. A digital screen fits a hybrid car. However it does not fit a NA, manual drivers car like a GT3.

The only porsche 911 based pure drivers cars are the GT3/GT3T. I plan to keep my 991.2 GT3 forever.

Personally, I don’t never thought the non GT (turbo Carreras) ere have been worth the porsche price. And there is always more tech to add to non GT cars.

Last edited by Drifting; 07-29-2024 at 01:22 AM.
Old 07-28-2024 | 09:04 PM
mjj
Instructor

Originally Posted by Telynau
I have a new Z4 Handschalter roadster and it is a lovely car. I bought it as soon as the manual transmission became available. It is a very different experience than my 2024 992 T or my 2022 718 S coupes, however -- the Z4 is far less sharp, far less precise, less agile, and very much a luxury GT car vs the Porsche sports cars. Driving them back-to-back emphasizes these differences -- they are not subtle in any way. So if you are looking for a luxury roadster with a magnificent (one might even say legendary) straight 6 motor and excellent manual transmission, steering and brakes, the Z4 is a great choice. Mine was $73,970 with virtually every option, which is a lot lower than any Porsche (or pick your luxury brand) convertible. And forget about ADMs -- I was able to order the Z4 for less than list price.

I bought the Z4 in part because it has a 520+ lb. payload. We can fill it with large adults (e.g., I am a 6'1" 240 lb. weight lifter) and luggage without worrying about weight (also true of the 911, but not the 718). My wife loves the Z4 compared to the Porsches, which to be honest, she has zero interest in riding in, in part due to the firm ride, and in part due to the constant temptation to drive the cars fast. The Z4's seats are what you would expect in a luxury roadster (soft and comfortable, but with decent bolstering), with lots of adjustability. The ride is moderately firm but very comfortable. The powered convertible roof works flawlessly and the Z4 is strikingly quiet with the top down and the windows up. It is extremely quiet with the top up -- it is the most quiet convertible I have ever owned. At normal driving speeds you really don't lose anything to a coupe format (which doesn't exist), because of the improved rear wind shielding and the new sound dampening roof.

Visually, the Z4 is quite striking, even beautiful, especially in person, if you like the classic front engine BMW (or Mercedes) long hood. It looks a lot like a smaller BMW 840i convertible, which is a very good look in my opinion. Mine is in red metallic, an unusual BMW color but a dramatic presentation. I have been stopped several times already by people wanting to compliment it and find out what kind of car it is.

I must confess that I prefer the lines of the Z4 (and the BMW 8 series convertible) to the 911 Cabriolet -- it doesn't have the hump back that always looks like a deformity to me. Sorry if I offend Cabriolet owners. It is a matter of personal taste, of course. I personally love the look of that long, long BMW hood, which others may not.

The B58 engine is magnificent. Even though I am still breaking it in (4500 RPM max), it is clear that the engine loves to rev and pulls like a tractor. It is very smooth -- quite like a V8 -- far smoother than the 911 T flat six, which makes a comparable amount of power but lacks the feel of the low-end torque of the B58 straight six. Which makes sense, given that BMW also uses the B58 in luxury SUVs up through the X7. The exhaust is not loud or sharp even in Sport or Sport Plus mode -- it just burbles away with the same powerful ease that I hear from the naturally aspirated 5.3 L V8 in my wife's 2023 Tahoe. It backfires nicely in Sport and Sport Plus Mode if that's what you want, but does so in an understated way that is consistent with its luxury presentation. I don't normally like the Z4 to be backfiring as it is a bit inconsistent with its luxury character, but people apparently want to hear it, so BMW designed it in (at least in the Sport Modes). Comfort mode is very civilized, with no backfiring and just enough rich engine sound to make sure you know you have the B58 vs some lesser motor.

The build quality of my Z4 is excellent -- the leather, fit and finish are not up to 2024 911 standards, which are really extraordinarily high in my experience, but for half the price, very nicely done. I got the 19" wheels all around because I live in southwestern Connecticut, a modern land of potholes and gravel, and I wanted the extra rubber to protect the wheels. Chassis and body stability are excellent -- no shuddering or other nasty convertible effects even on rough roads. The Z4 feels very solid; just like my M550i and just like a BMW should. It passes the classic German door closing test with flying colors -- a solid thunk.

All in all the Z4 is a really wonderful car that we are lucky to still be able to buy given all the modern emissions and other regulations. I highly recommend it if it is the kind of thing you are looking for. But as should be obvious by this point in the post, it is not a replacement for a Porsche sports car (and in fairness to BMW, the Z4 is in no way intended to compete with a 911 or even a 718 -- it is made for a luxury roadster buyer, not a sports car buyer).

One final thought is that I don't want to damn the Z4's handling through faint praise -- it has excellent handling for its front engine, rear wheel drive design, and is quite agile enough for its purposes. Steering, brake and clutch are all excellent and provide a satisfying amount of engagement for the driver -- far more than any automatic transmission in my opinion. It is "easy" to drive and has shown absolutely no bad manners in the months I have driven it. It has a comfortable ride that your significant other will probably like a lot more than a 911 or 718. It is a genuine pleasure to drive once you get used to the thick BMW steering wheel, which feels a bit odd, at least to me. But I am writing this post on a Porsche 992 forum and necessarily have to compare the Z4's handling to that of the 992.1, which is, of course, equal to or superior in handling and overall balanced, sports car performance to any current production car. My solution to the question of "which one" is to have both.
Very helpful review. I am planning on getting the Z4 you described. Will pair nicely with 25 M4.
The following 3 users liked this post by mjj:
cptcolo0 (07-30-2024), Michael T (07-29-2024), porschedood5000 (07-29-2024)
Old 07-28-2024 | 10:16 PM
bz_911
Rennlist Member

Default New AM Vantage is worth the hype

Got to drive one at the local dealer and was impressed. Very refined, easy to drive fast and looks amazing. It is definitely more on the GT side of the line vs true sports car but it can definitely be both. The transmission - esp on downshifts - cannot compete with the PDK and that’s my biggest complaint. Well that and the price - I build one after our drive in my ideal spec and it was $260k 🙈

The following 2 users liked this post by bz_911:
cptcolo0 (07-29-2024), porschedood5000 (07-29-2024)
Old 07-28-2024 | 10:42 PM
J Irwan
Racer

I have to admit the new AMG GT looks fantastic.
when there is no more manual 911 the AMG GT is definitely an appealing alternative. What’s not to love with V8 growl
Old 07-29-2024 | 12:19 AM
autozero
Instructor

Originally Posted by bz_911
Got to drive one at the local dealer and was impressed. Very refined, easy to drive fast and looks amazing. It is definitely more on the GT side of the line vs true sports car but it can definitely be both. The transmission - esp on downshifts - cannot compete with the PDK and that’s my biggest complaint. Well that and the price - I build one after our drive in my ideal spec and it was $260k
Don't worry, it'll be $130k in 2 years
The following users liked this post:
Larson E. Rapp (07-29-2024)
Old 07-29-2024 | 12:26 AM
CM991
Rennlist Member

My 992.1 GTS build became a 992,2 GTS build so I gave that up and ordered a Turbo S that is arriving this Fall.

The 992.2 is not for me. Heavier, no manual, digital cluster, etc.

I’m first on the list for the Turbo Manual RWD if that ever comes true.

Quick Reply: With the disappointment of the 992.2 - what other cars are you considering?