Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

With the disappointment of the 992.2 - what other cars are you considering?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2024 | 05:10 AM
CZS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
My experience has been very good, but it's not my only car, and I'm like 30 minutes from a major dealer. I got it in August, it's spent about 10 days total in the shop. Software changes and warranty work. It comes with a 5 year warranty. Mine's been trouble free since December. I haven't had any non-software problems, but some folks have needed new transmissions. I'd ask if the dealer you're considering working with will transport the car for you and / or how much that would cost, and factor that into your ongoing maintenance budget. It's run at Sonoma Raceway without issue.

The fit/finish is better than the 720. It has (wired) CarPlay. The axle lift is much improved. No turbo lag with the hybrid assist. On a public road, it's easily as fast as a 720, except when the pavement is rough enough or cambered oddly that the magical hydraulic suspension saves the 720 from lifting. The fit/finish is fairly comparable to the gt3, but I prefer the controls and screens in the 992. The artura sounds a lot better than the turbo 911 despite being a hybrid 6 cylinder. 720 has more drama and sounds better.

A warranty eligible 720 is also a fantastic choice, and they come thoughtfully depreciated these days, but mclaren ownership is a lot easier a bit closer to a dealer. Still, it is very nice to not have any ADM bull**** games, and every allocation is PTS / Cxx / whatever you want without games too. It was really the Porsche dealer wanting 720 (new) money for a gt3 a few years back that sent me off to try other marques. I could get a 720 for that ... No, no, I just should.
Tremendously helpful, thank you. My 911 (and any potential replacement) is not my only vehicle and is effectively an overpriced toy for me. Paradoxically, the practicality of the 911 is one of the things that has me looking at other cars. It's so easy to drive and good at what it does, I find it a tad boring. I'm concerned the TTS, hybrid or not, will feel the same. The GT3 might fit the bill and, to be honest, if I can get an allocation at a reasonable ADM I'd probably go this route if only from a convenience (service, etc) standpoint.

I agree too that the ADM/allocation 'game' Porsche plays is exhausting. I'm not one of these folks that objects on principle to ADMs or faults dealers for taking what the market will bear. I am, however, getting quite tired of the games and elusive "lists" that diminish the Porsche buying experience. The grass isn't always greener though, I'm quite aware that every marque has its share of issues so I want to be very thoughtful about the pitfalls of a new architecture from a relative newcomer like McLaren. A 720s could certainly fit the bill if I found the right one. My (limited) experience has been that used models tend to be driven hard and traded quickly, so balance of a factory warranty would certainly be a requirement for me.
Old 06-19-2024 | 02:36 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

If you’re looking for more drama, I’d definitely recommend a McLaren. You can get CPO and then extend the warranty. Well worth it. I mean I’d do that with Porsches too. If you’re more a sound & experience guy, it’s hard not to consider a lambo or Ferrari
if you’re not sure about the gt3, I’d recommend a trip to PEC LA. Rent some time in one, and a gt3rs. Hell even a Dakar. Their circuit is pretty small, it’s not a full track, more half sized. But if you drive the cars back to back you’ll definitely be able to pick up feels and differences.
also, getting your own build slot is a bit over rated for ADM. Just find a car with the right seats, and throw a wrap on it. More important imo to get into the car and drive than whether all the options are perfect. At least for that extra $50-$100k I can live without my dream spec. Always next time.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlexCeres:
CZS (06-19-2024), rmb1973 (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024 | 03:33 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

No one has mentioned a used 992.1?

Trenton O. Gibson
tgibson@highline-auots.com
Highline Autos
Direct: 602.909.9216
Office: 480.348.0777

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Old 06-19-2024 | 06:24 PM
Dezeinstein
Advanced

Default Graduation Day

Deleted

Last edited by Dezeinstein; 06-19-2024 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-19-2024 | 09:54 PM
Vinscap
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ikone
I've been a fan of the 911 since I was about 10 years old and always lusted after it. Friends were into Lambos and Ferraris, but I always like the 911 better. Not that I hated or didn't like other cars. Almost 40 years later, I finally bought one and am now on my second one. I don't think I would ever consider another sports car, but I would consider a used 911 versus the newer ones. Or just wait until the hybrid is in it's second or third iteration.
This is exactly me! I spent 41 years wanting only a 911 and now 3 years after I bought a 991.2 TTS, I purchased a new 2024 992.1 GTS and couldn’t be happier. I think the 992.2 GTS is an amazing car with next level engineering and I am sure I will buy one at some point. Right now I am going to enjoy what I have and marvel at the 992.2. The only thing I would really miss is the “key” left of the steering wheel.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (06-20-2024)
Old 06-19-2024 | 10:14 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Vinscap
This is exactly me! I spent 41 years wanting only a 911 and now 3 years after I bought a 991.2 TTS, I purchased a new 2024 992.1 GTS and couldn’t be happier. I think the 992.2 GTS is an amazing car with next level engineering and I am sure I will buy one at some point. Right now I am going to enjoy what I have and marvel at the 992.2. The only thing I would really miss is the “key” left of the steering wheel.
Nice! That’s exactly what I’m driving now. 992.1 GTS. Love it.
AlexCeres (06-20-2024)
Old 06-24-2024 | 02:57 PM
Jimmy-D
Rennlist Member

Saw the new Vantage on Saturday and also heard the engine rev. Could not test drive her because she has been making its way to multiple Dealers, for display, for a couple of days each.. In about 6 weeks they will let me test drive a true Production one they have coming in.
Couple things to note:
-The car did move me. Got my juices flowing which takes a lot. Felt like a kid again and just could not stop looking at it from all angles. Not a bad view from any angle.
- I think the best looking car Aston Martin makes today. The car is beautiful with such a muscular stance and has quite a presence. You certainly know it is a Vantage but when parked next to the out going model it is only then that you realize what a huge difference/upgrade this one is. Looks like a Baby One-77 which is a very good thing
- The car sounds really good.(actually pretty impressive). Although also Turbo is does sound much better than my 2022 GTS with a JCR non-Valved/non-Silenced exhaust.
-Yep - Could careless about depreciation. I think I have to have it

Last edited by Jimmy-D; 06-24-2024 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-24-2024 | 08:08 PM
elvisdoc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Saw the new Vantage on Saturday and also heard the engine rev. Could not test drive her because she has been making its way to multiple Dealers, for display, for a couple of days each.. In about 6 weeks they will let me test drive a true Production one they have coming in.
Couple things to note:
-The car did move me. Got my juices flowing which takes a lot. Felt like a kid again and just could not stop looking at it from all angles. Not a bad view from any angle.
- I think the best looking car Aston Martin makes today. The car is beautiful with such a muscular stance and has quite a presence. You certainly know it is a Vantage but when parked next to the out going model it is only then that you realize what a huge difference/upgrade this one is. Looks like a Baby One-77 which is a very good thing
- The car sounds really good.(actually pretty impressive). Although also Turbo is does sound much better than my 2022 GTS with a JCR non-Valved/non-Silenced exhaust.
Test driving a Vantage on Friday but I doubt it will move my needle away from a GT3 Touring. Just want to drive it and a DBX 707 cuz I never drove either and the salesman reached out..... To tell the truth the DBX 707 interests me more.. But my love is still for the GT3 Touring and I very much doubt that will change. If you know, you know.
AlexCeres (06-24-2024)
Old 06-25-2024 | 09:14 AM
omaralt
Racer

i was waiting to purchase a 992.2 in a year or so. after the announcement i quickly found a manual 992.1 and jumped on it. no guarantee of a manual 992.2, but even if there is, it wont be a for a few years. unfortunately for those of us who still want to drive a manual there aren't a lot of choices. the other car i considered was the lotus emira but i have big feet (size 14) and i found it very difficult to press the clutch without hitting the brakes.
Old 06-25-2024 | 11:26 AM
C21ban
Racer

Originally Posted by omaralt
i was waiting to purchase a 992.2 in a year or so. after the announcement i quickly found a manual 992.1 and jumped on it. no guarantee of a manual 992.2, but even if there is, it wont be a for a few years. unfortunately for those of us who still want to drive a manual there aren't a lot of choices. the other car i considered was the lotus emira but i have big feet (size 14) and i found it very difficult to press the clutch without hitting the brakes.
I too waited to see what was coming for 25MY and after hearing so much about the lack of a manual (it is just a preference for how I plan to drive the car), Fortunately I found a configurable C2S in April and already have the car. It is a great car that is currently a placeholder until I see how things go but it may also just be the one that I keep for quite some time.

Evolution for any business is essential. It doesn’t matter at this juncture whether this is all due to government mandate or just a refresh to bring in new consumers who want faster and feel like Porsche was somewhat antiquated without all of the digital options that they have grown up with. It is what is being built so unless you go to the used market, there aren’t a great deal of better choices IMO. I may even come around once these are out for a while. Push button starters and digital tach aren’t my preferred choices but it wouldn’t stop me or most others from jumping in. Performance and reliability are the key so will see how it all works out.
omaralt (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024 | 12:05 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C21ban
I too waited to see what was coming for 25MY and after hearing so much about the lack of a manual (it is just a preference for how I plan to drive the car), Fortunately I found a configurable C2S in April and already have the car. It is a great car that is currently a placeholder until I see how things go but it may also just be the one that I keep for quite some time.

Evolution for any business is essential. It doesn’t matter at this juncture whether this is all due to government mandate or just a refresh to bring in new consumers who want faster and feel like Porsche was somewhat antiquated without all of the digital options that they have grown up with. It is what is being built so unless you go to the used market, there aren’t a great deal of better choices IMO. I may even come around once these are out for a while. Push button starters and digital tach aren’t my preferred choices but it wouldn’t stop me or most others from jumping in. Performance and reliability are the key so will see how it all works out.
Porsche had a 1960's dash all the way into the mid 90's (993 ) . The car is still loved . There offset pedals and old dash made some of its charm . The 996 was supposed to be the modern gig and after a brief time people begged for a traditional 911 . When the 997 launch occurred Porsche gave it back and sales blew off the charts . To this day the classic elements of the brand are still cherished . The attention deficit consumer will demand the latest and greatest but it's the core base that keeps coming back long after the newbie has left chasing the next shiny object .
Old 06-25-2024 | 12:27 PM
C21ban
Racer

Originally Posted by yrralis1
Porsche had a 1960's dash all the way into the mid 90's (993 ) . The car is still loved . There offset pedals and old dash made some of its charm . The 996 was supposed to be the modern gig and after a brief time people begged for a traditional 911 . When the 997 launch occurred Porsche gave it back and sales blew off the charts . To this day the classic elements of the brand are still cherished . The attention deficit consumer will demand the latest and greatest but it's the core base that keeps coming back long after the newbie has left chasing the next shiny object .
No need to debate what has given Porsche its unique place for most of us. Hence the reason I grabbed one that still had minor elements of its past.

The core will still support if they want a NEW car. Will there be lesser core owners that stop buying? That remains to be seen as the only way to express displeasure is not to purchase. Sports cars are a niche market and Porsche still fits in nicely (albeit getting a bit too expensive for some who want one) as they only need to sell what in the overall scheme of things, is a somewhat limited supply car when we think about the overall world population. And if they can’t sell their new concepts, there will be deals out there to be had. I don’t see that happening in the near future as long as these cars are still fundamentally ICE along w/ mild hybrid and these changes will be expected amongst newer buyers to the brand as well as many of the competitors who are making the switch now as well.

Do you or I like it? Maybe not, but as they say - it is what it is and doubt silent majority even has a clue. They just want a Porsche and hopefully they get what they want.

Old 06-25-2024 | 07:22 PM
inthesticks
Racer

Couple things to note:
I had a 2021 Vantage along with my 22 Targa. They were great cars to alternate. The soundtrack of the Vantage is hard to beat. Its front engined and in a lot of way feels like a muscle car dressed in a tuxedo. 992 doesnt have the sound, but it had a MT so it offered a different experience. Perfect 1-2 combo

The following 2 users liked this post by inthesticks:
cptcolo0 (06-25-2024), Motorin Mark (06-25-2024)
Old 06-26-2024 | 08:46 AM
Jimmy-D
Rennlist Member

^ Got the call yesterday afternoon to come in and test drive the new Vantage they just received so after work I went and took her out for 30 min.

Car is impressive and with 656 HP it felt exactly like an old school muscle car. Boy is She fast and drove lighter than I expected. Kind of woke me up to the fact that there are other great sport cars out there that some times you forget they exist.

Going to order one in Dec and take delivery in the Spring. Just got to figure out what i am going to do with my GTS Cabrio because do not have the room nor the time for both of them
The following 2 users liked this post by Jimmy-D:
Jrezaf (06-26-2024), Motorin Mark (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024 | 09:11 AM
omaralt
Racer

^ Got the call yesterday afternoon to come in and test drive the new Vantage they just received so after work I went and took her out for 30 min.

Car is impressive and with 656 HP it felt exactly like an old school muscle car. Boy is She fast and drove lighter than I expected. Kind of woke me up to the fact that there are other great sport cars out there that some times you forget they exist.

Going to order one in Dec and take delivery in the Spring. Just got to figure out what i am going to do with my GTS Cabrio because do not have the room nor the time for both of them
ya as long as you dont care for the manual there are many different options.

Quick Reply: With the disappointment of the 992.2 - what other cars are you considering?