Sponsored by:

Noob Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2024, 10:53 AM
Hello14
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Noob Question

Hello esteemed friends. I’m looking at buying this build - it’s for sale at $145, MSRP was $150. I like the package bc of Aerokit, sport chrono package, and most importantly the Front Axel Lift. However I’m a noob and don’t know what I don’t know.

Is there anything I should keep in mind or is the car missing anything important. It’s CPO.

thank you!
Old 06-06-2024, 11:05 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,451 Likes on 755 Posts

How many miles on it?
Old 06-06-2024, 11:07 AM
Hello14
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
How many miles on it?
6k miles
Old 06-06-2024, 11:21 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 575 Posts

Certified ?
maintenance records ?
Porsche dealer ?
if all the above checks out good
I think it is ok deal , but not great
The following users liked this post:
Hello14 (06-06-2024)
Old 06-06-2024, 11:29 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,390 Likes on 671 Posts

I believe it has the older PCM which was updated in 2022. Other than that the 21 is the same as the 24. An OK deal and at this price point what is a couple of thousand dollars if you really like the specs. I'd go for it.
Hello14 (06-06-2024)
Old 06-06-2024, 12:41 PM
sk911
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Is it a private seller or Porsche dealer?...Thats the only way to get a CPO.
If private seller...definitely get a PPI done from a reputable company.
If it's a Porsche dealer and CPO...you should be good to go...warranty should be through 2027

For a 2021 6K mile "S"...these are the trade in values (what the dealer paid for it) and Retail values (What the dealer is selling it for)
So you may have some room to save some money...perhaps have them throw in some service of additional year on the CPO.

Last edited by sk911; 06-06-2024 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-06-2024, 02:19 PM
Hello14
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Staffie Guy
I believe it has the older PCM which was updated in 2022. Other than that the 21 is the same as the 24. An OK deal and at this price point what is a couple of thousand dollars if you really like the specs. I'd go for it.
Is there any way the PCM on the 21 model could get updated to the 23/24 models?
Old 06-06-2024, 02:20 PM
Hello14
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sk911
Is it a private seller or Porsche dealer?...Thats the only way to get a CPO.
If private seller...definitely get a PPI done from a reputable company.
If it's a Porsche dealer and CPO...you should be good to go...warranty should be through 2027

For a 2021 6K mile "S"...these are the trade in values (what the dealer paid for it) and Retail values (What the dealer is selling it for)
So you may have some room to save some money...perhaps have them throw in some service of additional year on the CPO.
It’s CPO from a Porsche Dealer. However, is it still worth getting a PPI done on the car in that case. I don’t want to take any risks as this is a lot of money and I’m not physically seeing the car before I buy it (car is in FL, I’m in CA).

And WOW. This is really helpful knowledge re pricing going in. I’ll definitely negotiate and will follow up with you here with what I end up paying. Thanks!

Last edited by Hello14; 06-06-2024 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-06-2024, 02:54 PM
sk911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hello14
It’s CPO from a Porsche Dealer. However, is it still worth getting a PPI done on the car in that case. I don’t want to take any risks as this is a lot of money and I’m not physically seeing the car before I buy it (car is in FL, I’m in CA).

And WOW. This is really helpful knowledge re pricing going in. I’ll definitely negotiate and will follow up with you here with what I end up paying. Thanks!

Porsche dealers usually work on a 20% minimum profit for CPO sales...so they probably paid around $120K with a $24k (20%) profit...that gets them to the $145K number. They may be willing to negotiate depending on the cost of the CPO work. CPO cost them for the very basic inspection with nothing found around $2K... but if it needed tires, that's another $2K, or any of the regular maintenance services (10k or 20k) that could be another $2K...so it starts to add up and their profit starts to diminish. I would think on a 6K mile car, nothing was needed (maybe tires).

They almost always buy cars offering average to rough numbers...but the same car after it's been CPO'd now has an extra clean value....lol!
I wouldn't spend the extra money on an additional PPI....no one knows these cars better than the dealer...plus the car has the remaining new car warranty plus the added 2 years CPO...you should be good.

Couple of additional points-
  1. Ask for the CPO inspection report, it will let you know what issues (if any) needed to be corrected.
  2. Get a Carfax (or similar) report to show ownership history status (fleet car, corporate car, lease, etc)
  3. The Carfax will also show any reported accidents and where the car was originally sold and when any maintenance was completed
  4. I highly recommend you catch a flight to Florida to put eyes on the car and to test drive it...flights are cheap compared to the price of the car.
I did the same thing you're doing...flew across country a couple of times only to be a little disappointed with the car when actually seeing it in person...thank goodness flights were cheap...I ultimately found an allocation and bought a new one. Funny this is ...the new one was less than a CPO one, plus I was able to build it to my specs and it will have zero miles. I'll be the first one to drive it! So, take a serious look into what you really need in this car and compare that to a new build...you may be surprised.

Last edited by sk911; 06-06-2024 at 03:16 PM.
Hello14 (06-06-2024)
Old 06-06-2024, 03:10 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Porsche dealers usually work on a 20% minimum profit for CPO sales...so they probably paid around $120K with a $24k (20%) profit...that gets them to the $145K number. They may be willing to negotiate depending on the cost of the CPO work. CPO cost them for the very basic inspection with nothing found around $2K... but if it needed tires, that's another $2K, or any of the regular maintenance services (10k or 20k) that could be another $2K...so it starts to add up and their profit starts to diminish. I would think on a 6K mile car, nothing was needed (maybe tires).

They almost always buy cars offering average to rough numbers...but the same car after it's been CPO'd now has an extra clean value....lol!
I wouldn't spend the extra money on an additional PPI....no one knows these cars better than the dealer...plus the car has the remaining new car warranty plus the added 2 years CPO...you should be good.

1. Ask for the CPO inspection report, it will let you know what issues (if any) needed to be corrected.
  2. Get a Carfax (or similar) report to show ownership history status (fleet car, corporate car, lease, etc)
  3. The Carfax will also show any reported accidents and where the car was originally sold and when any maintenance was completed
  4. I highly recommend you catch a flight to Florida to put eyes on the car and to test drive it...flights are cheap compared to the price of the car.
I would expect any dealer that sells a CPO car also provide the carfax as SOP. Even the used junk car dealer on the corner now does.
Old 06-06-2024, 03:19 PM
sk911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tobeit
I would expect any dealer that sells a CPO car also provide the carfax as SOP. Even the used junk car dealer on the corner now does.
Agreed...many CPO's on the Porsche finder site has the Carfax info as well. It may not be 100% accurate, but it will fill in some of the history voids a dealer may not have.
Old 06-06-2024, 03:28 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Hello esteemed friends. I’m looking at buying this build - it’s for sale at $145, MSRP was $150. I like the package bc of Aerokit, sport chrono package, and most importantly the Front Axel Lift. However I’m a noob and don’t know what I don’t know.

Is there anything I should keep in mind or is the car missing anything important. It’s CPO.

thank you!
Is it this one? https://www.porschemelbourne.com/cer...0f1a773f1f.htm

That's at my local dealer - mtaches your description. They provide the link to the free Carfax and the CPO inspection report is available upon request.
Old 06-06-2024, 03:50 PM
Hello14
Intermediate

I did the same thing you're doing...flew across country a couple of times only to be a little disappointed with the car when actually seeing it in person...thank goodness flights were cheap...I ultimately found an allocation and bought a new one. Funny this is ...the new one was less than a CPO one, plus I was able to build it to my specs and it will have zero miles. I'll be the first one to drive it! So, take a serious look into what you really need in this car and compare that to a new build...you may be surprised.
REALLY appreciate the thorough explanation here. The reason I mentioned a PPI was bc of being extra certain in case the CPO inspection was faulty. But to your point, the car is under warranty and these dealers know the car very well.

1. I’ll ask for the CPO inspection report. I didn’t even think of that.
2. I have the carfax and it looks good.
3. As much as I don’t want to lol, you are right - I should book a trip to Florida and see the car myself and test drive it. Thank you for the nudge here.
4. As for a new build, for the specs I want, I’d be paying slightly more. Also, there’s a long wait time to get an allocation and I don’t think I want to wait 6+ months - that’s the wait time right?

thank you again Good Samaritan!!

Old 06-06-2024, 03:57 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

REALLY appreciate the thorough explanation here. The reason I mentioned a PPI was bc of being extra certain in case the CPO inspection was faulty. But to your point, the car is under warranty and these dealers know the car very well.

1. I’ll ask for the CPO inspection report. I didn’t even think of that.
2. I have the carfax and it looks good.
3. As much as I don’t want to lol, you are right - I should book a trip to Florida and see the car myself and test drive it. Thank you for the nudge here.
4. As for a new build, for the specs I want, I’d be paying slightly more. Also, there’s a long wait time to get an allocation and I don’t think I want to wait 6+ months - that’s the wait time right?

thank you again Good Samaritan!!
Come tp FL and take a look at it. I glanced at the carfax and this car was sold in 21 at the same dealer it is now. In between it was mostly serviced here too...fair to assume its a local client who traded it in for his next car. We have that a lot here, people keep their cars for 2-3 years and onto the next. Barely put miles on.
Hello14 (06-06-2024)
Old 06-06-2024, 04:54 PM
Hello14
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Is it this one? https://www.porschemelbourne.com/cer...0f1a773f1f.htm

That's at my local dealer - mtaches your description. They provide the link to the free Carfax and the CPO inspection report is available upon request.
that’s the one!!

Quick Reply: Noob Question