Sponsored by:

992.2 World premiere

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2024, 11:58 PM
Sal D
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Meh..

I'm greatful to have a 24' GTS, and after today's release; fortunate. Not hating, but for the first time - I feel this release has crossed the line to a new era that separates the crowd.
The following 4 users liked this post by Sal D:
dg108 (05-29-2024), InfiniteSmiles (05-29-2024), McNamara (05-29-2024), TRIPLEBLK1 (05-29-2024)
Old 05-29-2024, 03:40 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

I understand that much if not all of Porsche's decisions are driven by regulations/profitability, so wishful thinking on my part but I don't have to like this direction.
I bought a 992 because I couldn't find the right 991.2 but finally gave in to the larger car with what I believe to be a commendable 3,250 lbs given its size.
3,600 lbs before options is not aligned with Ferry's vision for the 911. That's a porker in line with M/AMG. It's okay for the Targa and Turbo, but not a Carrera.
Porsche's innovations were always focused on three principles: 1) small displacement, 2) light weight, and 3) aero.
I see those principles less and less with each generation.

@ipse dixit I've owned Porsches for 24 years. I currently own 5 Porsches worth ~1m. I have deposits on 5 cars. Porsche builds cars for guys like me.
Rennlist peanut gallery is some website moderator with 16k posts and a wish he'll some day own a Porsche.

Last edited by Wilder; 05-29-2024 at 03:42 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wilder:
Mr.Bourne (05-29-2024), shrimp money (05-29-2024)
Old 05-29-2024, 07:13 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 114 Posts

Looks like a great upgrade. However for me at least the regular 911's have just gotten far too expensive. A 154k for a moderate optioned base is just asinine.
The following users liked this post:
NewShockerGuy (05-30-2024)
Old 05-29-2024, 12:51 PM
992WhiteOut
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey All,

Help me out... those "gills" in front of this GTS 992.2....... When 992.1 came out, everyone thought you had to option away the standard front end. Over time, most have gotten used to the standard nose. Can we ever come to appreciate the gills on the front of this car.... since you cannot option them away? Is there any design precedent in the car's history for all that vertical louver action at the nose? I really hate the angles and sharp corners of all that plastic under there protruding outward..... my least favorite thing about the new 992.2 GTS is that vertical aero in the nose? Not sure I can get over it. And the rear end on this .2 also seems a step backward with the close-set pipes in the rear, and again, more rearward protruding black plastic. Talk me out of it.... gonna be great? I understand some like it, but will the market like this over time?
Old 05-29-2024, 01:26 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by malba2366
This is because they have to meet crash standards, and smaller cars have to meet stricter fuel economy and emissions standards....no one is asking for a bigger 911,

That is not true on both fronts. Customers of all makes ask for bigger cars when asked for feedback. Including Mini Coopers. BMW's trashy steering feel came from customer feedback indicating they wanted less effort and less kick back. As for the size..there are cars smaller than the 911 that can pass crash standards with flying colors.

Last edited by VarTheVar; 05-29-2024 at 02:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (05-29-2024)
Old 05-29-2024, 02:02 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

Old 05-29-2024, 09:30 PM
bzcat
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by VarTheVar
That is not true on both fronts. Customers of all makes ask for bigger cars when asked for feedback. Including Mini Coopers. BMW's trashy steering feel came from customer feedback indicating they wanted less effort and less kick back. As for the size..there are cars smaller than the 911 that can pass crash standards with flying colors.
No one is asking for a bigger Mini, and no one is asking for a bigger 911.

The cars are getting bigger primarily because the US market CAFE regulation that favors cars with bigger footprint - longer and wider means you can meet a lower MPG target. This is why cars primarily designed for the US market - e.g. Honda Civic or Mini Countryman just to name 2 examples have become so big. Meanwhile cars that are designed mainly for markets outside the US - e.g. VW Golf or Mini Hatch have stayed more or less the same size from previous generations.

The latest Mini Countryman is the first clean sheet Mini design since the failed attempt to repeal 2025 CAFE target during the Trump Admin. Which is why it is so big. If they kept it around the same size, they will have to make it EV only or use so much exotic metal to shave weight it will cost $80K.

Ford cancelled the Focus for the US market because it didn't want to make a Civic or Elantra sized Focus for the US which won't sell in the main market in Europe. So they made a Maverick pickup instead with longer wheelbase and bigger footprint. That's how the the sausage is made for car companies trying to sell cars in the US. If Porsche kept the 911 the same size as 997, it will have to get 30 to 40% higher MPG to avoid CAFE fine. They can't do it as long as it has ICE - this is why they went for EV Cayman/Boxster... they didn't want to make a bigger Cayman/Boxster.

If you want to understand how 2025 CAFE regulation caused the extinction of small cars, give this Edmunds article from 2012 a read... it explains everything and basically predicted what we are seeing now - cars will get bigger because it is easier to meet the regulation.

https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy...ine-print.html

Last edited by bzcat; 05-29-2024 at 09:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bzcat:
PSPorsche (05-31-2024), rasetsu (05-29-2024)
Old 05-29-2024, 09:35 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by bzcat
No one is asking for a bigger Mini, and no one is asking for a bigger 911.

The cars are getting bigger primarily because the US market CAFE regulation that favors cars with bigger footprint - longer and wider means you can meet a lower MPG target. This is why cars primarily designed for the US market - e.g. Honda Civic or Mini Countryman just to name 2 examples have become so big. Meanwhile cars that are designed mainly for markets outside the US - e.g. VW Golf or Mini Hatch have stayed more or less the same size from previous generations.

The latest Mini Countryman is the first clean sheet Mini design since the failed attempt to repeal 2025 CAFE target during the Trump Admin. Which is why it is so big. If they kept it around the same size, they will have to make it EV only or use so much exotic metal to shave weight it will cost $80K.

Ford cancelled the Focus for the US market because it didn't want to make a Civic or Elantra sized Focus for the US which won't sell in the main market in Europe. So they made a Maverick pickup instead with longer wheelbase and bigger footprint. That's how the the sausage is made for car companies trying to sell cars in the US. If Porsche kept the 911 the same size as 997, it will have to get 30% higher MPG to avoid CAFE fine. They can't do it as long as it has ICE - this is why they went for EV Cayman/Boxster... they didn't want to make a bigger Cayman/Boxster.

If you want to understand how 2025 CAFE regulation caused the extinction of small cars, give this Edmunds article from 2012 a read... it explains everything and basically predicted what we are seeing now - cars will get bigger because it is easier to meet the regulation.

https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy...ine-print.html

Whether this predicted it or not customers want it. I forgot where the studies were that I read, but it is a thing I think they were customer surveys.
Old 05-29-2024, 09:40 PM
Crusje
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by VarTheVar
Whether this predicted it or not customers want it. I forgot where the studies were that I read, but it is a thing I think they were customer surveys.
Yep. People want it because they believe it is safer. It starts with the soccer moms around here driving around in mid-full size SUVs. Then every one else wants a bigger car because they don't want to die when t boned by a 6000 pound truck or EV.
Old 05-29-2024, 10:51 PM
ASuh
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

Excellent use of hoi polloi. I haven’t seen that word spoken or written down since studying for the SATs 25 years ago. Haha
Old 05-29-2024, 11:46 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,019 Posts

Originally Posted by Crusje
Yep. People want it because they believe it is safer. It starts with the soccer moms around here driving around in mid-full size SUVs. Then every one else wants a bigger car because they don't want to die when t boned by a 6000 pound truck or EV.
People are stupid. Going the same speed with 1500# more is a huge amount of additional energy going into you. The tree or median concrete doesn’t give a ****.
Old 05-29-2024, 11:50 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kayjh
I disagree. There is an overall performance increase. The new car travels almost 50% farther in the first 2.5 seconds than the old one. I have to believe the driver will feel this low end push in almost all daily driving on the street. One might say a huge leap forward.
It’s 10% faster to 60 than a gt3 and has over 1/3 more torque. You can absolutely feel 100lb/ft more torque. The low end push and street performance are definitely increased
Old 05-29-2024, 11:54 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vicbastige
2.9 vs. 3.2 0-60? I think you'd only feel it by looking at draggy data. Both are crazy quick.
300ms is 30 feet at 60mph. I think you’ll notice.

Quick Reply: 992.2 World premiere