Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does lowering the 992 void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 11:56 PM
manous
AutoX

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Does lowering the 992 void warranty?

I just picked up a new 24 992, I asked the dealer if I changed the springs to lower the car would it void the warranty. He said that it would because if I for instance brought it in for noises such as squeaks, they wouldn’t be able to rule out the cause being the springs.

i did a search on rennlist and saw a post “mods that don’t void your warranty” and lowering springs was in there although someone said it might.

Any definitive answer on this topic?

thanks in advance

Old 05-07-2024, 12:53 AM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 912 Likes on 434 Posts

Once again…. For the people sleeping in the back: It will only void certain parts and systems. Those of which could be connected to the installation non oem springs.
The following 2 users liked this post by Icegrill:
Highline-Autos.com (05-07-2024), Mike818 (05-07-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 05:38 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by manous
I just picked up a new 24 992, I asked the dealer if I changed the springs to lower the car would it void the warranty. He said that it would because if I for instance brought it in for noises such as squeaks, they wouldn’t be able to rule out the cause being the springs.

i did a search on rennlist and saw a post “mods that don’t void your warranty” and lowering springs was in there although someone said it might.

Any definitive answer on this topic?

thanks in advance
I don't think there's anything definitive as certain dealers are more mod friendly than others. I will say that I have had my car serviced and had warranty work done at Porsche Chandler in AZ without any issues at all even though I've been running a full Bilstein coilover suspension with aftermarket wheels and spacers. They will occasionally tell me that my car is too low to drive straight onto their lift but I can't imagine it would be any different than servicing a GT3 as my car isn't any lower than a stock GT3. Also, when they had to replace my windshield under warranty due to the gooey windshield surround, they did a 4 wheel alignment as part of the warranty work to recalibrate the front cameras and didn't care at all that I had an aftermarket suspension system.

So they may not fix stuff that's directly impacted by the suspension mods, like if you run springs and your stock shocks wear out prematurely, but I think it would be insane if they try to not address rattling or squeaking issues inside your car simply because you installed springs.
Old 05-07-2024, 07:29 AM
alaris
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 52 Posts

The Magnusson-Moss act basically says the dealer has to show whatever modification caused the problem you’re trying to get them to fix. It cannot void the entire warranty. For instance, if you lower the car but then have an engine problem, there is no nexus between the two. But if you chip the engine and it runs too much boost and you punch a hole in the block, they can probably weasel out of paying for repairs.
Old 05-07-2024, 07:52 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

It won’t void coverage for everything on the car, but yeah, any suspension related failures, excessive wear on bearings/bushings, and likely squeaks/rattles will be blamed on your lowered car.

If you go low enough where it is evident that hard bits are striking the ground, you can expect problems with warranty claims for those areas as well. For example, if the engine manages to make impact, that’s going to be on you.
The following users liked this post:
alaris (05-07-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 11:37 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

The answer is YES.

But as always, the devil is in the details.
The following users liked this post:
BIGWORM (05-07-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 01:46 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 484 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by Icegrill
Once again…. For the people sleeping in the back: It will only void certain parts and systems. Those of which could be connected to the installation non oem springs.
Bingo! They can not void a PCM, water pump, or PDK claim just because a customer is running lowering springs.

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Old 05-07-2024, 02:38 PM
X-PH.COM - MIKE
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 219 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Icegrill
this ^

if you lowered the car and have problems with the suspension parts, the dealership might blame your upgrade and wont fix it for free

but they cant deny a claim a defective headlight that stopped working or a bad turbo
Old 05-07-2024, 03:05 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 782 Posts

If you leave a car 100% stock, what's covered under warranty and what isn't is pretty clear....and it's STILL sometimes difficult to get things fixed. You mod your car in any way and you're living in a grey area, where a claim may or may not be denied, and if the mod can even be remotely related to a failed component you're potentially facing a batlle. Lowering springs COULD affect everything related to physical suspension, as well as electronics that monitor yaw/roll, squeaks/rattles...heck a (weak) case could even be made that lowering a car can affect airlow and thus the entire cooling system...well you get the picture. My approach is leave it stock, or mod the heck out of it and be prepared to pretty much kiss your warranty goodbye.
Old 05-07-2024, 05:08 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
If you leave a car 100% stock, what's covered under warranty and what isn't is pretty clear....and it's STILL sometimes difficult to get things fixed. You mod your car in any way and you're living in a grey area, where a claim may or may not be denied, and if the mod can even be remotely related to a failed component you're potentially facing a batlle. Lowering springs COULD affect everything related to physical suspension, as well as electronics that monitor yaw/roll, squeaks/rattles...heck a (weak) case could even be made that lowering a car can affect airlow and thus the entire cooling system...well you get the picture. My approach is leave it stock, or mod the heck out of it and be prepared to pretty much kiss your warranty goodbye.
The way it works in the U.S. is the burden of proof is on them. They have to show, with evidence, that what you did is causing/caused the issue.

In reality shops don't get paid to not fix your car.

Considering as you move up the performance ladder, the aero increases and usually ride height decreases, it seems like a huge jump to get to lowering = cooling system issues.

Let's run with that anyway though. Let's say I lower the car and I have cooling system "issues". I assume that would be overheating? Anyway let's say I bring my lowered car to the dealer and they tell me lowering my car has messed up my cooling system efficiency and that is why I am over heating.

That is an easy hypothesis to test. I can swap back to stock, and if my problem is fixed, then all good. If the problem persists then they can go ahead and fix it under warranty. You could let them swap the springs and offer to pay for it if it fixes the problem. You could swap them back yourself and when it doesn't fix the problem get them to do the labor or reimburse you etc. How you choose to handle the problem would be dependent on your particular situation.

Quick Reply: Does lowering the 992 void warranty?