Sponsored by:

results front camber adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2023, 11:30 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,168 Likes on 621 Posts
Default results front camber adjustment

I just spent the day redoing the alignment on the GTS I picked up a couple weeks ago.
I have the equipment and experience to set camber, caster, toe including scales and slip plates.
Been playing around with alignment since 1987 when a dealer screwed up my 911 after an alignment.
They had the thrust angle so far off that it was dog tracking, almost going sideways.
That was when I decided I needed to learn how to do it myself.

The camber spec on the GTS ,R=-1.7 F=-1.My car the rear was OK but the front One side had .8 and the other side had 1.1.
The toe was in spec both rear and front.
My goal was to sharpen up the turn in, I also have a Gt3 which I know is totally different suspension, but I felt the GTS wasn’t as sharp as I thought it could be, it felt lazy on turn it.
I added - ½ deg to the front =-1.5,the car drives really different and much better.
It has a much better on center feel and much sharper turn in, more immediate plus the steering loads up with increased feedback
The GTS will never be as sharp as the GT3 its not meant to be but it can be better.

This is an easy way to liven up the car if you don’t like it you can always go back.
It’s a good idea to check the alignment after it settles in the first 1000 miles

Last edited by 4carl; 12-01-2023 at 11:51 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 4carl:
Jeff Whitten (12-01-2023), jlegelis (12-04-2023), Pman911 (12-04-2023)
Old 12-02-2023, 12:45 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,685 Likes on 1,264 Posts

A bit of Toe-Out and and good solid push to the Caster Angle and a sharper turn in can be achieved . . . at an increase in tire wear and a bit of nervousness on center.
Old 12-02-2023, 01:13 AM
4carl
Race Car

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
A bit of Toe-Out and and good solid push to the Caster Angle and a sharper turn in can be achieved . . . at an increase in tire wear and a bit of nervousness on center.
My GT3 came with about .005" toe out. could not hold a line and very skittish, I reset it to .015" toe in and set front bar full soft.
Made a huge improvement in the way the car turns and tracks.
My car came @-.1.5 F&R camber about 1/8 rear toe front toe out.
I left the camber as its a good street/sport set up and the rear toe was good.
Im impressed on how sensitive the car is to changes in set ups.
Easy car to tailor to your driving style
Old 12-04-2023, 06:23 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 721 Likes on 335 Posts

I have a bit of toe out in the front and the car doesn't track any differently. It's still a two finger driving experience on the freeway. I think the front could use a bit more toe out as it's still not as responsive as I'd like but it does bite more mid corner with the added camber. Overall balance of the car is pretty great

My specs
Front
Caster: +8.0°
Camber: - 2.5°
Total toe: - .10°
Rear
Camber: - 1.7°
Total toe: + .20°
Old 12-04-2023, 06:37 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 780 Likes on 363 Posts

Great thread... so happy to not be talking about transmissions.

Does anybody have the factory alignment specs for the 992 C2S and other variants?
Old 12-04-2023, 07:17 PM
Leecw
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 50 Posts

Here is the printout for my 2020 C2S

I think these are the specs
The following users liked this post:
jlegelis (12-04-2023)
Old 12-04-2023, 10:22 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 758 Likes on 337 Posts

I got a more aggressive alignment and went from just being pretty quick to fastest overall at the last autocross event of the year. I made the mistake of letting the dealer align it when I got tires last year without specifying anything and they gave me the most basic "don't kill yourself" alignment possible. New specs weren't that different, but made a huge difference in behavior. It was like a revelation, I can steer with the pedals now! It's pretty easy to induce oversteer with throttle or brakes where before the car had near-criminal, pathological understeer tendencies. I think the hair of toe-out was the big difference maker.

Note that this is degrees & minutes, not tenths of degrees. So up front the -1°46' is about -1.75°.

Last edited by zachr; 12-04-2023 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-05-2023, 03:46 PM
4carl
Race Car

How does the car track with 0 fear toe?
Old 12-05-2023, 04:15 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 758 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by 4carl
How does the car track with 0 fear toe?
I've found it quite playful, but still very predictable and not at all difficult to drive on city streets and highways. Steering effort remains low, and I haven't noticed the car following the crown of the road or other imperfections significantly more than it did before. It seems quite well behaved, but it's possible that I'm just not paying attention to the right things to notice this kind of bad behavior.

I don't drive anywhere near the limits of grip on public roads even on a spirited mountain cruise, and probably wouldn't recommend these specs for anyone who does (but you shouldn't!). For me and my usage, the car seems very balanced with this setup and I find it quite easy to feel out the limits of grip, initiate oversteer with either pedal, and adjust accordingly with the wheel to stay moving in the direction I want. I can definitely see how some oversteer could sneak up on someone who is either inexperienced or expects an understeery setup, and if you don't instinctively respond correctly in that situation these specs could be dangerous.

The shop recommended a bit of toe in at the rear and zero toe up front if I were taking the car on a real road course at high speeds, but for autocross usage this has been great IMO. I'm just waiting to see how the tire wear turns out to decide if I need to compromise somewhere to get an entire season of autocross + dailying out of a set of PS4S.
Old 12-05-2023, 06:13 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 920 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Caster is not adjustable on my 22 C2S
Old 12-05-2023, 11:51 PM
4carl
Race Car

Originally Posted by zachr
I've found it quite playful, but still very predictable and not at all difficult to drive on city streets and highways. Steering effort remains low, and I haven't noticed the car following the crown of the road or other imperfections significantly more than it did before. It seems quite well behaved, but it's possible that I'm just not paying attention to the right things to notice this kind of bad behavior.

I don't drive anywhere near the limits of grip on public roads even on a spirited mountain cruise, and probably wouldn't recommend these specs for anyone who does (but you shouldn't!). For me and my usage, the car seems very balanced with this setup and I find it quite easy to feel out the limits of grip, initiate oversteer with either pedal, and adjust accordingly with the wheel to stay moving in the direction I want. I can definitely see how some oversteer could sneak up on someone who is either inexperienced or expects an understeery setup, and if you don't instinctively respond correctly in that situation these specs could be dangerous.

The shop recommended a bit of toe in at the rear and zero toe up front if I were taking the car on a real road course at high speeds, but for autocross usage this has been great IMO. I'm just waiting to see how the tire wear turns out to decide if I need to compromise somewhere to get an entire season of autocross + dailying out of a set of PS4S.
I looked at your specs and thought it was a nice set up for an autocross, really louse.
I just thought on a road circuit it would move around a little especially under high speed hard braking with running 0 rear toe

Last edited by 4carl; 12-05-2023 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-07-2024, 03:30 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

I'm about to dump my P Zeros for PS4S N0s on my C2S (w/ RAS) and planning to get an alignment. Curious on ppls experience with a recommended 'performance street' setup? Not planning any AX, but would love a bit more front grip/less understeer without compromising the car's rock solid feel on the highway. @4carl @VarTheVar guidance appreciated.
Old 05-07-2024, 04:21 PM
4carl
Race Car

I would run -1.5 on all four wheels of camber 1 mm of tow in at the front 3 mm total in the rear
pretty much what my GTS came from the factory with
my Gt3 was towed out in the front which I changed three wheels were -1.5 one -1.4 rear toe 3mm total

Last edited by 4carl; 05-07-2024 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-07-2024, 05:26 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

thanks @4carl. Can you help me translate that toe to degrees? wonder is the S and GTS settings are different?
Old 05-07-2024, 08:51 PM
4carl
Race Car

Originally Posted by jlegelis
thanks @4carl. Can you help me translate that toe to degrees? wonder is the S and GTS settings are different?
it’s about a 10th of a degree approximately .033 of an inch or 1/32” a millimeter is 0.39.4”

Last edited by 4carl; 05-07-2024 at 11:56 PM.

Quick Reply: results front camber adjustment