Sponsored by:

My DIY 992 PTS, EM, CXX GT3 Touring Adventure

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2024, 01:59 AM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 422 Posts
Default My DIY 992 PTS, EM, CXX GT3 Touring Adventure

I figured I'd start a separate thread to document this journey, and hopefully others will gain from my experience in this build. As a quick background, I've owned 11 911s starting with my first one, a beat up 1976 911S that prior owner had installed a 3.2L engine . . it was cobbled together, and really a terrible car. I none the less sorted it out, painted it, and sold it several years later and bought my first SC. Ended up owning 3 SCs, 3 Carreras, and during my last tour in the USAF, I purchased a beautiful new 964 C2. I sold the C2 when I got out of the USAF, and went back to school . . this was in 1994. I few years ago, I got the itch to get another Porsche, and stopped by the dealer. We all know how that story plays out - you are who again?? You want to buy what?? Put your name on the list and wait . . .

A year went by with no progress - I randomly stopped by another dealer, who mentioned they had a Turbo S that he thought was going to come available . . it was very close to the spec I wanted, and indeed, the person who ordered it backed out and I bought it. I was blown away with the TTS - does everything SO well. However, during the 1 year period, I did go look at used cars, and drove a few GT3s, which I equally loved. One of the sellers contacted me right after I purchased my TTS and asked if I was still interested - and of course I was. It was a very well priced 2022 GT3 Touring with 2500 miles in the right color.

Love both cars, but really wanted a "special" GT3 - something to my exact taste. I shopped around to many different dealers, but zero change for a PTS 992 GT3 Touring. It about this time that I saw a salvage title GT3 for sale at a pretty dramatic discount to a clean car. And, as my intentions are to drive it, and don't really care about resale, I started to look more into trying to find a 992 GT3 project. I bid on several on Copart, but was unsuccessful on my first 3 cars - they were all going for what I considered outrageous pricing considering the required repairs. Then this one came along - hit HARD front left side - 1500 miles, 2022, winged GT3. It met my hard requirements (PDK and Carbon Roof, no engine or tranny damage). I won the first auction, but didn't meet sellers reserve. I subsequently won the second, third and fourth auctions, and the seller finally accepted my last bid, which was lower than my first bid.

After the car showed up, there were some things better, but most worse than anticipated. The engine and trans are pristine - brand new, and no damage. The body is pretty badly damaged, and would be a MAJOR undertaking to try and straighten out. However, I have a complete new body assy on order from Porsche, but no confirmed delivery date as of today, so still a risk that Porsche won't deliver. Let's hope they do!

It only took a few days to strip the entire car and catalog all the parts. The engine was removed and sent last week to Rick Deman for a 4.5L conversion. The interior is all boxed up, and going up to Exclusive Option - I'm doing both custom 18 ways and buckets for this project. I intend to paint the new body in house once it arrives in some shade of silver . . . interior most likely two-tone dark brown / black with silver stitching. At least that's my mood today!

As in my other threads, I intend to make this a "Touring GT3" - one that has many of the comfort features of the TTS, but the suspension of the GT3. My current GT3T is the test bed for sorting out the technology while I wait for Porsche to **** out a body for me.

Here's what she looked like sitting in some yard in Flint MI . . . makes me sad.

Knuckleheads stacked the front suspension on the rear window and shattered it. . .

Every airbag deployed EXCEPT driver's seat! How does that happen?

Front wheel sheered off -

right side pretty straight

Almost completely stripped

Still a few things to remove on the front

Leaving the coolant lines in for now - probably the safest way to store them

Removed the engine and trans as an assy - we did remove the rear suspension before pullling the engine as it has to come off anyway.

Engine getting ready to mount on pallet

Fabricated the pallet sub-structure

She's ready for Rick to do his magic!!

Just starting disassembly - did a quick wash to disinfect her . ..

Love the Genitian Blue

Back pretty much untouched, except for the broken window thanks to knuckleheads at Copart.

Pushed the door back into the quarter panel

whole left side is twisted

front mostly stripped

seats out, getting ready to pull dash
I intend to add Resonix sound deadening, Musicar audio, and other creature comforts to this build. With the Deman 4.5L engine, the power should approach the TTS, but sill have the sound and feel of the NA engine. I really think this is going to be an amazing combination!
The following 25 users liked this post by f4bones:
alaris (04-08-2024), AlterZgo (04-11-2024), arrivederci (04-08-2024), BadlyDrawnBoy (04-08-2024), Bodibedo (04-08-2024), brandobot (04-08-2024), brownan (04-09-2024), cassdesigns (04-08-2024), Cokerrat (04-27-2024), Devon Racer (04-09-2024), dixonk (04-08-2024), iso87 (04-11-2024), J Irwan (04-26-2024), Jeff Whitten (04-08-2024), mashoutposse (07-14-2024), NEH51 (04-26-2024), Nein Eleven (04-10-2024), OMTarga4S (04-09-2024), pal (04-11-2024), PHX (04-08-2024), russbert (04-09-2024), saksride (04-26-2024), Schwarz992C4S (04-08-2024), StarbuckR6 (04-08-2024), tourenwagen (04-08-2024) and 20 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Popular Reply

04-26-2024, 02:39 AM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Just a quick update - still no word from Porsche on my replacement body - sucks. I'm exploring other options in case they refuse, but stil have fingers crossed they will come through. In other news, the DeMan engine is scheduled to be completed in a few weeks, so plan is to install it in my current GT3 touring so it won't sit while the project materializes. Going to trailer the GT3 to NY and do the install there, then trailer it down to M-Engineering in Florida for a engine and PDK tune. Really looking forward to the trip!

Also scored some pretty AMAZING bits from my contact in Europe - he managed to find this 992 RS carbon roll bar - scuffed up, but I wanted it gloss carbon anyway, so easy scuff and re-clearcoat.

But wait, here's the AMAZING find . . . NEW OEM S/T front fenders! So looks like the project is becoming an S/T clone - just need to find a set of RS doors now . . . .

Old 04-08-2024, 02:09 AM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 321 Posts

Looks like a fun build. Lots of work but looks like in capable hands. Looking forward to watching it come back to life.
Old 04-08-2024, 02:49 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,120 Likes on 666 Posts

Awesome, love it!

I will be following and hope all goes well for you.

The technical stuff is great on here, we need more of it and less of depreciation discussions.

cheers
Old 04-08-2024, 08:30 AM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,172 Likes on 2,057 Posts

This thread will make up for all the “should I buy this” threads.

Look forward to checking it daily 🙌
The following 3 users liked this post by shrimp money:
detansinn (04-09-2024), OMTarga4S (05-17-2024), saksride (04-26-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 08:46 AM
tourenwagen
Three Wheelin'

Received 4,388 Likes on 1,198 Posts

Awesome thread! Looking forward to updates
Old 04-08-2024, 10:58 AM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 187 Posts

Following
The following users liked this post:
Schwarz992C4S (04-08-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 11:40 AM
Schwarz992C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by f4bones
I figured I'd start a separate thread to document this journey, and hopefully others will gain from my experience in this build. As a quick background, I've owned 11 911s starting with my first one, a beat up 1976 911S that prior owner had installed a 3.2L engine . . it was cobbled together, and really a terrible car. I none the less sorted it out, painted it, and sold it several years later and bought my first SC. Ended up owning 3 SCs, 3 Carreras, and during my last tour in the USAF, I purchased a beautiful new 964 C2. I sold the C2 when I got out of the USAF, and went back to school . . this was in 1994. I few years ago, I got the itch to get another Porsche, and stopped by the dealer. We all know how that story plays out - you are who again?? You want to buy what?? Put your name on the list and wait . . .

A year went by with no progress - I randomly stopped by another dealer, who mentioned they had a Turbo S that he thought was going to come available . . it was very close to the spec I wanted, and indeed, the person who ordered it backed out and I bought it. I was blown away with the TTS - does everything SO well. However, during the 1 year period, I did go look at used cars, and drove a few GT3s, which I equally loved. One of the sellers contacted me right after I purchased my TTS and asked if I was still interested - and of course I was. It was a very well priced 2022 GT3 Touring with 2500 miles in the right color.

Love both cars, but really wanted a "special" GT3 - something to my exact taste. I shopped around to many different dealers, but zero change for a PTS 992 GT3 Touring. It about this time that I saw a salvage title GT3 for sale at a pretty dramatic discount to a clean car. And, as my intentions are to drive it, and don't really care about resale, I started to look more into trying to find a 992 GT3 project. I bid on several on Copart, but was unsuccessful on my first 3 cars - they were all going for what I considered outrageous pricing considering the required repairs. Then this one came along - hit HARD front left side - 1500 miles, 2022, winged GT3. It met my hard requirements (PDK and Carbon Roof, no engine or tranny damage). I won the first auction, but didn't meet sellers reserve. I subsequently won the second, third and fourth auctions, and the seller finally accepted my last bid, which was lower than my first bid.

After the car showed up, there were some things better, but most worse than anticipated. The engine and trans are pristine - brand new, and no damage. The body is pretty badly damaged, and would be a MAJOR undertaking to try and straighten out. However, I have a complete new body assy on order from Porsche, but no confirmed delivery date as of today, so still a risk that Porsche won't deliver. Let's hope they do!

It only took a few days to strip the entire car and catalog all the parts. The engine was removed and sent last week to Rick Deman for a 4.5L conversion. The interior is all boxed up, and going up to Exclusive Option - I'm doing both custom 18 ways and buckets for this project. I intend to paint the new body in house once it arrives in some shade of silver . . . interior most likely two-tone dark brown / black with silver stitching. At least that's my mood today!

As in my other threads, I intend to make this a "Touring GT3" - one that has many of the comfort features of the TTS, but the suspension of the GT3. My current GT3T is the test bed for sorting out the technology while I wait for Porsche to **** out a body for me.

Here's what she looked like sitting in some yard in Flint MI . . . makes me sad.

Knuckleheads stacked the front suspension on the rear window and shattered it. . .

Every airbag deployed EXCEPT driver's seat! How does that happen?

Front wheel sheered off -

right side pretty straight

Almost completely stripped

Still a few things to remove on the front

Leaving the coolant lines in for now - probably the safest way to store them

Removed the engine and trans as an assy - we did remove the rear suspension before pullling the engine as it has to come off anyway.

Engine getting ready to mount on pallet

Fabricated the pallet sub-structure

She's ready for Rick to do his magic!!

Just starting disassembly - did a quick wash to disinfect her . ..

Love the Genitian Blue

Back pretty much untouched, except for the broken window thanks to knuckleheads at Copart.

Pushed the door back into the quarter panel

whole left side is twisted

front mostly stripped

seats out, getting ready to pull dash
I intend to add Resonix sound deadening, Musicar audio, and other creature comforts to this build. With the Deman 4.5L engine, the power should approach the TTS, but sill have the sound and feel of the NA engine. I really think this is going to be an amazing combination!
Wishing you great success and will be following your journey!
Old 04-08-2024, 01:16 PM
Zanotti
Racer

Received 337 Likes on 128 Posts

Subscribed!
Old 04-08-2024, 02:31 PM
911Castle
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 142 Posts

Guess we know where the carbon fiber steering wheel trim came from
Mr.Bourne (04-08-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 02:45 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Nope - the GT3s normally don't come with carbon steering wheel surround. The surround is question came off my new 992 TTS - Matt carbon that I replaced with gloss carbon. . . .
Mr.Bourne (04-08-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 04:12 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,113 Posts

Frigging awesome thread.
Old 04-08-2024, 06:23 PM
Motorin Mark
Racer

Received 427 Likes on 208 Posts

Wow! I am one of those guys that enjoys puttzin' with my cars as much as I enjoy driving them, but this is a really cool project and looking forward to your updates!
Old 04-09-2024, 09:16 AM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 321 Posts

Resmo in my neck of the woods is working a similar rebuild. Watched several of their videos over the weekend. May be some useful tips from their journey.

Last edited by Jeff Whitten; 04-09-2024 at 09:17 AM.
tourenwagen (06-17-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 10:20 AM
supershaft
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 151 Posts

I have some close friends in the aftermarket car mod industry and I’d never send my engine over to deman after the stories I’ve heard
Old 04-09-2024, 02:27 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

watched all the RESMO videos - was quite helpful!
Jeff Whitten (04-09-2024)

Quick Reply: My DIY 992 PTS, EM, CXX GT3 Touring Adventure