Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Porsche! Build Configuration Due in a few weeks!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2024, 04:42 PM
Phil Ster
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile First Porsche! Build Configuration Due in a few weeks!

Hi All - After many years of wanting a Porsche, I am doing it - 2024 GTS Coupe!

I wanted to share my current build configuration to get input and thoughts from the community.

Just a bit about me: I am not planning on taking the car to the track, the car is already has more performance than I will ever need. I am soon to be empty nester so the car will be mostly a weekend car for my wife and I - something to fill the void as our kids leave the nest!

Porsche Code: PRBXNTV5

Color: GT Silver Metallic (first porsche so thought I needed to go with the classic silver)
Interiors: GTS Interior Package in Carmine Red
Wheels: Turbo S wheels (center lock!)
Seats: Sport Seats Plus 18-way (most configurable to get the right fit)

Packages:
Premium Package (From what I read RPA was not leveraged much even when bought, I read about cross-traffic indicator that comes with as a consideration which would be nice to have).
SportDesign Side Skirts (GT Silver color)

Performance/Lights/Safety:
Front Axle Lift System (must have)
Rear Axle Steering
Extended Fuel Tank (must have)
LED-Matrix Headlights (PDLS+)
Lightweight and Noise Insulated Glass (In for now? maybe it should be out? - any thoughts?)
Night Vision Assist (getting old, I look at this as a safety system)
Surround View & LCA are a part of the premium package.

Other Options? Thoughts?
PDCC -- decided not to do this, since I am not planning ever using my GTS for the track.
AeroKit - torn on this one, but I think I like the cleaner look without the tail.
Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)?
Active Lane Keep /Lane Keep Assist (LKA/ALK)?
Additional Leather elements in the cabin
Steering Wheel - Heated? Race-Tex? Carbon Fiber?

Old 03-18-2024, 05:23 PM
mohdalali
AutoX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Very good build, I wish you enjoy it soon with your wife.

light weight glass? I suggest you read more about it in the forum.

cheers
The following users liked this post:
Phil Ster (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 05:31 PM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,390 Likes on 671 Posts

The heated steering wheel is a great option if you are lucky enough to get one that really heats up. Many folks including me have wheels that only get lukewarm. If you feel lucky, order it.
Old 03-18-2024, 05:32 PM
GuardsRed992
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 41 Posts

I'd remove light weight glass. I orgininally had it speced, but after reading reviews I removed it. Also, you may consider making the mirrors body colour to match the sideskirts

But sounds like a great build
Phil Ster (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 06:00 PM
Mr.Bourne
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

I think night vision is on the small dashboard screen. I watched some reviews and the feedback was too small and too far down to be of use.
Phil Ster (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 06:02 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 901 Likes on 503 Posts

Forget the LKA, it doesn't work. PDCC is only useful for the top heavy cars - Targa, Cab. Remember the car has no HUD - so for night vision, you have to drive looking down at the instrument cluster, just keep that in mind.
Phil Ster (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 06:19 PM
X-PH.COM - MIKE
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 219 Likes on 193 Posts

Nice
Phil Ster (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 06:28 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 957 Likes on 517 Posts

Just a thought about center locks. They look great but are (flame suit on) an affectation 99% of use cases. Unless you invest in the proprietary tools, you are stuck with the dealer for any tire and wheel service (changeover to winters, new tires, etc.) and will pay through the nose for that. The car doesn't have a spare so you would be stuck anyway with a flat, but FWIW no roadside service will be able to manage them. If I were building a GTS, I'd go with the 5 lug option. Center locks are intended to give a motorsport look. Paradoxically, many GT3/RS owners find them a PIA for track use and some go as far as to find aftermarket 5 lug solutions.

Low mileage weekend car on good roads and not planning winter switchover, center locks are OK.

Also agree on skipping the lightweight glass. It's not a race car. No benefit, some risk WRT durability. Reports of issues.

Aerokit is 'boy racer' on most builds and would ruin your classic GT silver. It's for people who want a faux GT3 to fool 17 year olds. IMO, the only valid use case for it is on a Carrera T with track in mind.

More importantly, welcome to the fold. Great spec!,especially the choice of GT Silver. Timeless. Enjoy.

PS: join PCA and participate in your local chapter. A whole spectrum of activities to suit all interests, discounts on dealer service and with many vendors, a great publication (panorama), etc.

Last edited by ldamelio; 03-18-2024 at 06:41 PM.
Phil Ster (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 07:35 PM
Phil Ster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mohdalali
Very good build, I wish you enjoy it soon with your wife.

light weight glass? I suggest you read more about it in the forum.

cheers
Will do! Thank you for the feedback!
Old 03-18-2024, 07:37 PM
Phil Ster
Rennlist Member

Heated - Sounds good! Any thoughts on leather? alcantara? etc. for steering wheel wrap?

Originally Posted by Staffie Guy
The heated steering wheel is a great option if you are lucky enough to get one that really heats up. Many folks including me have wheels that only get lukewarm. If you feel lucky, order it.
Old 03-18-2024, 07:42 PM
Phil Ster
Rennlist Member

Thank you for the feedback! And the warm welcome.

Will definitely think about the center lock feedback - if I were to pivot to the lugs I would go with the 20"/21" RS Spyder Design Wheels in Satin Black

Thanks,
Phil

Originally Posted by ldamelio
Just a thought about center locks. They look great but are (flame suit on) an affectation 99% of use cases. Unless you invest in the proprietary tools, you are stuck with the dealer for any tire and wheel service (changeover to winters, new tires, etc.) and will pay through the nose for that. The car doesn't have a spare so you would be stuck anyway with a flat, but FWIW no roadside service will be able to manage them. If I were building a GTS, I'd go with the 5 lug option. Center locks are intended to give a motorsport look. Paradoxically, many GT3/RS owners find them a PIA for track use and some go as far as to find aftermarket 5 lug solutions.

Low mileage weekend car on good roads and not planning winter switchover, center locks are OK.

Also agree on skipping the lightweight glass. It's not a race car. No benefit, some risk WRT durability. Reports of issues.

Aerokit is 'boy racer' on most builds and would ruin your classic GT silver. It's for people who want a faux GT3 to fool 17 year olds. IMO, the only valid use case for it is on a Carrera T with track in mind.

More importantly, welcome to the fold. Great spec!,especially the choice of GT Silver. Timeless. Enjoy.

PS: join PCA and participate in your local chapter. A whole spectrum of activities to suit all interests, discounts on dealer service and with many vendors, a great publication (panorama), etc.
Old 03-18-2024, 08:03 PM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Received 865 Likes on 387 Posts

The GTS will be a great filler for the full nest :-) Certainly different in many ways, but at least you have a warranty on this decision for a few years :-) From someone who has been an empty nester for a while, I sometimes wish they had left when I was a little younger! The 911 demands you get on the road. Many great trips in the log book.

I agree with most of the comments posted. You have heated seats, add ventilated. I would forego the aero, but that is personal choice. Wish I had FAL. Hope to see you on the road one summer; maybe in MT!
Phil Ster (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 08:20 PM
nvbirdman
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

I live in a small town. For me to drive to a larger city is a 60 mile each way trip. I love the adaptive cruise control.
Phil Ster (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 08:46 PM
Motorin Mark
Racer

Received 423 Likes on 207 Posts

I see you went with the Burmester, great choice and thus I would consider keeping the lightweight and noise insulated glass, yes it does make a difference as I have both in my S and the Burmester sounds fantastic. Yes some have had problems with the glass but some have not.
The following 2 users liked this post by Motorin Mark:
Phil Ster (03-18-2024), txpackers (03-19-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 08:48 PM
Phil Ster
Rennlist Member

I wanted to add the ventilated seats but it conflicts with the GTS Interior Package; My understanding is with the ventilated seats, seats become all leather (vs some parts being alcantara).

Any thoughts on the leather colors vs GTS Interior Package?
- Leather Interior in Black/Bordeaux Red - Tie the red elements together or maybe trying to hard?
- All Black - too basic
- Leather Interior in Slate Grey with Chalk Stitching - Looks interesting, any feedback from others?
- Other thoughts?

Originally Posted by rwbern
The GTS will be a great filler for the full nest :-) Certainly different in many ways, but at least you have a warranty on this decision for a few years :-) From someone who has been an empty nester for a while, I sometimes wish they had left when I was a little younger! The 911 demands you get on the road. Many great trips in the log book.

I agree with most of the comments posted. You have heated seats, add ventilated. I would forego the aero, but that is personal choice. Wish I had FAL. Hope to see you on the road one summer; maybe in MT!

Quick Reply: First Porsche! Build Configuration Due in a few weeks!