Sponsored by:

Charging Battery in 992

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2024, 04:15 AM
kentv
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Charging Battery in 992

My battery totally died. Nothing works--windows, interior lights, all dead. I used the fuse box procedure to open the front trunk, but now what do I do? Leave the battery in the car and try charging it? I really don't want to tow it to the dealer. That seems so extreme, but the manual says not to replace the battery unless you're a mechanic or highly skilled. Will I fry or ruin anything if I hook up the charger? Can I leave it in the car and just hook up the positive lead to the battery and negative to the vehicle from or ground? I actually tried that for 2 minutes but heard funny noises and stopped. Thanks all.
Old 03-08-2024, 07:05 AM
InfiniteSmiles
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 22 Posts

Your battery is not dead, but the BMS (battery management system) has it automatically disconnected to prevent damage.
You'll need to hook the charger directly to the battery poles to circumvent the BMS and let the charger do the rest.

After this you might have to relearn the windows (?), sun roof (?) doing a certain procedure I can't remember exactly.
Old 03-08-2024, 12:08 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,007 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by kentv
My battery totally died. Nothing works--windows, interior lights, all dead. I used the fuse box procedure to open the front trunk, but now what do I do? Leave the battery in the car and try charging it? I really don't want to tow it to the dealer. That seems so extreme, but the manual says not to replace the battery unless you're a mechanic or highly skilled. Will I fry or ruin anything if I hook up the charger? Can I leave it in the car and just hook up the positive lead to the battery and negative to the vehicle from or ground? I actually tried that for 2 minutes but heard funny noises and stopped. Thanks all.
You cannot fry anything in your Car by Hooking up the charger. If you have the Porsche/CTEK Charger that came with your car just put it on. It will have reverse polarity protection so even if you hooked it up wrong it won't hurt it.... but hook it up correctly as you said.. P clamp to Positive post, then the Negative clamp of charger to Ground Point that Porsche indicates and let it do its thing. I am assuming you have a regular AGM Battery and most likely not the Lithium version they put in the cars with 4 wheel Steering (RAS). So just let the charger do its thing.

The key is to NOT let your battery over-discharge because that will damage the batteries depending on how deeply you over-discharge it. Lead/Acid batteries don't have a protection against this so if you deeply discharge them they will not last as long and not hold a charge as well. So keep it on a Charger if you not driving often.

Last edited by Antigravity; 03-08-2024 at 12:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
HOTCHKIS (03-08-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 01:52 PM
lfish
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 51 Posts

I am not sure where the RAS/lithium battery assertion stands but I specced my T without RAS and it definitely has the lithium battery. Maybe RAS equipped cars must have the Li battery but obviously at least some of the ones without RAS have Li as well.
Old 03-08-2024, 03:53 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 901 Likes on 503 Posts

New RAS cars don't have the lithium batteries anymore.
Old 03-08-2024, 04:34 PM
RJR88
Intermediate

Received 77 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
New RAS cars don't have the lithium batteries anymore.
my 2024 TTS has a lithium battery.
Old 03-08-2024, 04:44 PM
Vivienne
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

My 24 gts ras has lithium
Old 03-09-2024, 08:12 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by lfish
I am not sure where the RAS/lithium battery assertion stands but I specced my T without RAS and it definitely has the lithium battery. Maybe RAS equipped cars must have the Li battery but obviously at least some of the ones without RAS have Li as well.
The T comes with the lightweight package as standard equipment which includes the Li battery as do Canadian and Northern Europe cars. In 2022, any US car also came with a Li battery when the RAS option chosen to offset added weight of RAS. However, current purchasers of RAS report they are now receiving AGM battery with RAS option. Porsche has said nothing. But, the configurator no longer refers to an Li battery as coming with RAS option. No price difference for the option though which is essentially a Porsche price hike for RAS option.

Last edited by Fullyield; 03-09-2024 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-09-2024, 09:06 AM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Received 1,584 Likes on 896 Posts
Lightbulb

No affiliation, but hopefully this YouTube video can be of assistance.

Old 03-09-2024, 10:09 AM
lfish
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 51 Posts

The T comes with the lightweight package as standard equipment which includes the Li battery as do Canadian and Northern Europe cars. In 2022, any US car also came with a Li battery when the RAS option chosen to offset added weight of RAS. However, current purchasers of RAS report they are now receiving AGM battery with RAS option. Porsche has said nothing. But, the configurator no longer refers to an Li battery as coming with RAS option. No price difference for the option though which is essentially a Porsche price hike for RAS option.
I suspect the type of battery installed is now random and perhaps determined by supplier availability- much like the brand of tires fitted.
Old 03-09-2024, 10:15 AM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

I suspect the type of battery installed is now random and perhaps determined by supplier availability- much like the brand of tires fitted.

It is fairly consistent that the 2024 Ts are receiving the AMG battery regardless if it is equipped with or without RAS.
The following users liked this post:
Fullyield (03-09-2024)
Old 03-09-2024, 10:46 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

I respectfully disagree. The cost difference between Michelin, Pirelli and GY is minor when buying the tires on a production contract. Porsche probably getting them all at same price because of economies of scale. However, price difference between AGM and Li battery is substantial- probably $300-500 a car…my guess. Anti-gravity could tell us for sure. So, I suspect Porsche going back to AGM battery to increase profits and reduce customer complaints. Porsche created a customer issue when it made the Li battery proprietary. I think the only cars getting Li now are the GTs and the Turbos for weight reduction…..similar to electric steering wheel adjustment and PCCBs. I just checked the configurator and the description of the lightweight package no longer includes the Li battery. Porsche’s motto: “It is a privilege for you to pay more to get less.” Note that Porsche did not discount the price of the car or options when it quite providing the more expensive proprietary Li battery.
Old 03-09-2024, 10:58 AM
HOTCHKIS
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 83 Posts

@TUD how tall are your ceilings in your garage ?
Old 03-09-2024, 11:08 AM
patel1283
Advanced

Received 151 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by kentv
I just had this issue. Frunk is open - that's great! You can literally get any car battery jump starter. I got this one:
Amazon Amazon

Make sure you get one for lithium ion or AGM battery specific. The NOCO above works on lithium on. Hit the exclamation button on the NOCO to bypass BMS and start the car. Worked like a charm.
Old 03-09-2024, 11:11 AM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HOTCHKIS
@TUD how tall are your ceilings in your garage ?

Sorry, but this is not my video nor my garage, hence the statement of “no affiliation.”

Last edited by RatherJaded; 03-09-2024 at 01:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Charging Battery in 992