Sponsored by:

Looking for opinions on base 911 build

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2024, 08:40 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 935 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott P
That is a fallacy. I've taken two 6+ hour trips with the extended range tank and it's not made a sound. You should be more careful about these kinds of comments.
The posts from people are on this forum, still having these foam bumper kits installed on their cars to stop it. Sure, most people get perfect cars without it, but some don't. Just like the engine mount issue with sport chrono.
Old 02-13-2024, 09:01 PM
ctdwp
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
ACC will give you better PDK logic in automatic mode. It's not just for adaptive cruise control.
I was not aware of that…just did some searching on it in the forum and see it has additional benefits…will likely add it now.
Old 02-13-2024, 09:29 PM
2thHappy
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by ctdwp
I got an allocation last week for a base 911 and the config locks in early next month with a late May delivery. First 911, so I'm looking for opinions on my selections and whether or not I missed something critical. I am leaning toward Artic Grey as of now, but I am also considering GT Silver...

https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRGEAIJ1
Opt for 930 package, extended gas tank. I have FAL and use it to get into and out of my driveway.
Old 02-13-2024, 09:31 PM
ctdwp
Advanced

Originally Posted by nyca
Just like the engine mount issue with sport chrono.
I didn't know about that! Not looking forward to dealing with that.
Old 02-13-2024, 09:36 PM
whatsshakin
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

For everyone saying "get the 18 ways" -- the seats are very different between 4 vs 14 vs 18 way, so please please please go and sit in the various seat options before making your mind up.
Old 02-13-2024, 09:44 PM
Jaye Bass
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
ACC will give you better PDK logic in automatic mode. It's not just for adaptive cruise control.
CF trim is played out. The default trim is actually the best trim, because it matches the knurling on the controls.

I have to admit it. I still grimace seeing a Base Carrera spec at over the $140k mark. I paid less than that (out the door) for my well equipped C4S in 2019. In 2024, I'd rather have a "stripper" S for that pricepoint or a T with some goodies like RAS.
Nobody cares.
The following users liked this post:
whatsshakin (02-14-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 09:54 PM
ctdwp
Advanced

Originally Posted by whatsshakin
For everyone saying "get the 18 ways" -- the seats are very different between 4 vs 14 vs 18 way, so please please please go and sit in the various seat options before making your mind up.
I have only sat in the 14-way…didn’t see any 18-way at the dealer so not sure I will get a chance to try them. I did find the 14-way comfortable but do prefer the look of the 18-way. I agree it would be ideal to try them first.
Old 02-13-2024, 10:54 PM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Received 1,619 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
If you don't take long trips with the car, skip it. It's a rattle trap.
The standard tank is not immune to the issue as well. Documented cases of it.

Last edited by RatherJaded; 02-13-2024 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-14-2024, 12:00 AM
Charles Everson
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Since you asked, here are my thoughts on https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRGEAIJ1:
  1. The base 992.1 coupe is a truly great car, there really is no need to look further
  2. Exterior color is all personal taste, but try to see them in person. GT Silver is classic and looks great, especially with silver wheels.
  3. I'm not a fan of black wheels, personally I'd go silver with nearly any ext color. If you like them though and have seen them in real life (IRL), get them. They will get dinged and show damage though, so if you get them might want to the wheel protection plan.
  4. Black interiors are boring in general. I don't think the chalk deviated stitching (or lighter colored centers even) does much to fix that either despite what many seem to say. The slate grey / chalk interior looks incredible. Bordeaux red with chalk stitching also looks incredible. If you have seen the black with chalk stitch IRL, and love it, go for it. I would try to look at as many interiors as you can in person before locking your decision.
  5. I much prefer the 18-ways for long term driving comfort over the 14-ways. Have you sat in both, or preferably driven around in both for a little while?
  6. Premium package is one of the best options to tick, yes
  7. I really like the plain just "911" logo on the back of the base car like you have done. I think it looks cool and getting it in black as opposed to silver, it stands out a bit more on medium colors, I think is the way to go.
  8. Front axle lift - generally I would say a waste of money, especially with the base car. If you have a driveway you are going to hit, then def get it otherwise I don't think it is needed. You can go over some fairly decent dips and bumps without it
  9. Sport Chrono - many get it, but I don't think it adds much and would not get it. You pretty much never end up flooring it off the line, and I get zero value from the chrono itself. Waste of money
  10. Sport exhaust in black - I personally would not get it, even the base exhaust is pretty loud and don't like it louder. Many people love it though, and if you have heard it and like it get it of course.
  11. Power Steering Plus - this just makes steering at lower speeds easier, I don't think it is needed. Waste of money
  12. Extended range fuel tank (not selected) - I would probably get this option since you can. I personally hate stopping for gas, with the extended tank you can go for over 500miles.
  13. Exclusive Design Taillights (clear) - I am not a fan of these at all, but again personal taste. I think it takes away from the character of the car and makes it look more like an aftermarket tuner car. I prefer a more classy look though with the standard red tail lgihts.
  14. Lightweight and Noise Insulated Glass (not selected) - this is probably an option I would get, mostly to make it quieter
  15. Standard headlights with the premium package are fine. yes
  16. Leather interior is much better/nicer/longer lasting/classier than anything race-tex. yes
  17. Seat belts in chalk - this option makes sense with other chalk options, but I don't find that I see the seat belts much, and feel that money could be better spent on say improving the trim like going with the magnificent Paldeo wood trim with non-black interior (if that fits your taste)
  18. 930 leather package (not selected) - is pretty sick looking, but truthfully probably not worth it
  19. Bose - is a pretty solid sound system and think it is worth it (part of premium package)
30YrDream (02-14-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 09:03 AM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Received 438 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by ctdwp
Definitely skipping FAL based on all the comments here. I have considered the matte carbon fiber and do like it.
I installed the mat CF in my car. I did some myself and some parts (doors) at a body shop because plastic welding is required to secure the trim. I have paid more than double the cost that I would have been charged to speck the car new to install this trim. If you do not like CF then maybe the money you save by not installing FAL could be put towards making the interior more interesting. The plain black interior with dark silver trim is not very exciting.

Prewiring for the camera, not sure if this is in here but I would get it. I now install cameras in all of our cars due to the idiots who drive in Atlanta, GA.
Old 02-14-2024, 03:31 PM
Irish Guy
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 13 Posts

OP: It's a gorgeous build. My 992 GT3 is in GT silver, and I still look back every time..

No one can tell you which options to pick, of course, but I offer some general thoughts and then specific proposals. On generalities, you're aware - no doubt - that options tend quickly to depreciate toward zero and that almost none has a material effect on the driving experience, which comes standard. That having been said, my new-found philosophy in any custom order is to add just the right sprinkle of ingredients that make the car bespoke for your preferences and that - importantly - make it more likely that you'll hold onto the car longer. Now some specifics:
  • Without question, I'd ditch the 18-ways for the 4-way sport seats plus, which hold you identically. Not only would you save ~ $3K, but you'd (1) lose a surprising amount of weight and (2) find it more convenient accessing items in the back because, with the physical handle, you pull the seat the forward much more quickly and easily. The only downside arises if others will drive your car. Finding the right position again can be a PITA. FWIW, I have the 4-ways in my GT3 and love them.
  • Ventilated seats are nice, but query whether you need them in a sports car. If it'll be your daily, though, I'd keep this option.
  • Most Carreras are ordered with the model designation removed and replaced with "911." I'd encourage you to reject that trend. The Carrera is an iconic car - I'd wear that badge proudly (though in high gloss black, for sure). It'll out drive the vast majority of cars on the road. Also, and this may be just me, but I find the back of the 992 a little more bulbous than prior generations. The "911" only badge, to my eyes, exacerbates that effect. I think the broader lettering sits well.
  • I'd check the extended range fuel tank - that's a no-brainer.
  • I'd drop the exclusive design taillights.
  • Final note - one of your most expensive options is leather interior with chalk stitching. You can save a lot of money by ditching this one. I went with the standard, black interior in my GT3 and like the "race car" vibe that results. You might check out a standard interior at your local dealer. That having been said, the leather with contrast stitching is beautiful. I'm on a waitlist for a TTS and will plan to get the contrast stitching with that one. Either way, you don't want to regret your choice by going standard and then staring at a rubber dash for the rest of your ownership experience if the view doesn't work for you. Best to check out an example. I tend to think of the best Carrera spec as a lean one. The thrill of driving the car hard comes standard...
Good luck and congratulations!
ctdwp (02-14-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 04:03 PM
3uros
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Irish Guy
  • Final note - one of your most expensive options is leather interior with chalk stitching. You can save a lot of money by ditching this one. I went with the standard, black interior in my GT3 and like the "race car" vibe that results. You might check out a standard interior at your local dealer. That having been said, the leather with contrast stitching is beautiful. I'm on a waitlist for a TTS and will plan to get the contrast stitching with that one. Either way, you don't want to regret your choice by going standard and then staring at a rubber dash for the rest of your ownership experience if the view doesn't work for you. Best to check out an example. I tend to think of the best Carrera spec as a lean one. The thrill of driving the car hard comes standard...
The standard interior since the 997 has always been blah IMO. I've always felt the full leather option always helps the 911 interior feel like a six figure car.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3uros:
ctdwp (02-14-2024), txpackers (02-15-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 827 Likes on 412 Posts

I would keep the 18 ways unless you are a perfect fit in the 4 ways. The adjustability of the bolsters alone make the 18 ways worth it for me. When I drive spiritedly, I tighten the bolsters down and I move around even less. Next best thing to buckets without sacrificing comfort on longer drives. I would definitely try that feature out on a car at the dealer before deciding. I also like that you can extend the front under the leg. YMMV.
Old 02-14-2024, 11:57 PM
whatsshakin
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Guess I’m the only husky guy in the thread, but at 5’10 200lbs the 18 (and 4) sport plus way seats pinched uncomfortably in a way the 14 way did not. Seriously go and try and sit in all the options before dropping six figures on a car. I’m very glad as I did, otherwise I’d be stuck with a car I couldn’t sit in.

Re: interior, it’s up to personal preference. I wanted to be okay with the standard interior, but honestly Porsche doesn’t even use the nicest soft touch rubber materials, it almost feels like a clamshell that my $50k Ford had. I just don’t see the sense at all in dropping six figures on a car and getting a clamshell dashboard or door that’s prone to peeling.

Last edited by whatsshakin; 02-15-2024 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-15-2024, 12:37 AM
ctdwp
Advanced

Originally Posted by whatsshakin
Guess I’m the only husky guy in the thread, but at 5’10 200lbs the 18 (and 4) way seats pinched uncomfortably in a way the 14 way did not. Seriously go and try and sit in all the options before dropping six figures on a car. I’m very glad as I did, otherwise I’d be stuck with a car I couldn’t sit in.

Re: interior, it’s up to personal preference. I wanted to be okay with the standard interior, but honestly Porsche doesn’t even use the nicest soft touch rubber materials, it almost feels like a clamshell that my $50k Ford had. I just don’t see the sense at all in dropping six figures on a car and getting a clamshell dashboard or door that’s prone to peeling.
Definitely going with a leather interior.

Quick Reply: Looking for opinions on base 911 build