Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for opinions on base 911 build

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2024, 10:55 AM
remington
Burning Brakes

Received 1,448 Likes on 517 Posts

I built a very similar Base for myself last year. Your build is good. I would agree that FAL is not necessary in the Base, I have had no issues with front clearance as the Base has good clearance for all but steep driveways. I'd also consider adding extended fuel tank, there used to be a noise issue with them but I suspect that has been resolved with the new builds, mine has not had that issue. Color of wheels is personal preference but I don't care for black wheels. Don't let people talk you out of a silver or grey car, Rennlist is very pro-bright colors but Silver or Grey is a traditional Porsche color and if you like it, get it. If it's a daily driver, consider adding adaptive cruise. I have the 18 ways but there is nothing wrong with the 14 ways. They are good seats.

Mine...

The following 4 users liked this post by remington:
1BTD (02-13-2024), 30YrDream (02-13-2024), ctdwp (02-13-2024), RG88 (02-13-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 12:02 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 903 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by ctdwp
I have read about a noise issue related to the extended range tank...is that still an issue on the 2024's?
If you don't take long trips with the car, skip it. It's a rattle trap.
Old 02-13-2024, 12:53 PM
adrianp89
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
I took a 7 hour trip and didn't notice a single sound from it. Also the range on the car is pushing 700 miles with it. Absolutely worth the upgrade.
The following 4 users liked this post by adrianp89:
1BTD (02-13-2024), Corvette11 (02-13-2024), Ikone (02-13-2024), zscaler (02-13-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 01:01 PM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Received 437 Likes on 254 Posts

I live in an area with a lot of speed humps and I have never needed FAL, it is an expensive option you probably do not need as others have stated. Higher capacity fuel tank is nice to have, mine has never made a noise that I can identify. I would think about the CF trim, I added it to a CPO car I purchased and it is a lot more expensive to add later if you think you might want it. I wish I had the RS Spyder wheels, if I had ordered the car I would have gone in this direction. Bose stereo has been in the shop twice with a speaker replaced already, Burmiester sounds much better and I have never had an issue with one on past cars.
The following users liked this post:
Ikone (02-13-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 01:45 PM
ctdwp
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

This is my concern...I hate rattles!
Old 02-13-2024, 01:47 PM
ctdwp
Advanced

Originally Posted by adrianp89
I took a 7 hour trip and didn't notice a single sound from it. Also the range on the car is pushing 700 miles with it. Absolutely worth the upgrade.
700 miles is great range... unfortunately, my wife likes to stop every 3-4 hours, so I would likely never need it.
nyca (02-13-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 01:55 PM
ctdwp
Advanced

Originally Posted by blackland
I live in an area with a lot of speed humps and I have never needed FAL, it is an expensive option you probably do not need as others have stated. Higher capacity fuel tank is nice to have, mine has never made a noise that I can identify. I would think about the CF trim, I added it to a CPO car I purchased and it is a lot more expensive to add later if you think you might want it. I wish I had the RS Spyder wheels, if I had ordered the car I would have gone in this direction. Bose stereo has been in the shop twice with a speaker replaced already, Burmiester sounds much better and I have never had an issue with one on past cars.
Definitely skipping FAL based on all the comments here. I have considered the matte carbon fiber and do like it.
Old 02-13-2024, 02:01 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 903 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by adrianp89
Well with a 700 miles range, the car also needs the Porsche travel urinal option - maybe in leather or carbon fiber.
Old 02-13-2024, 02:12 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

I have read about a noise issue related to the extended range tank...is that still an issue on the 2024's?
All gas tanks….and still an issue.
Old 02-13-2024, 03:36 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
Unless you have a problematic driveway situation, a Base Carrera has no need for FAL. The rest of the option list looks fine. Save yourself $2770.

The world has enough silver 911s. I would consider ditching the black wheels — they’re played out. The standard silver wheel looks great with the gray and you could save yourself $1290.

By ditching FAL and going with silver wheels, you save FIVE GRAND without any material difference to your experience.
If you go with GT silver, no FAL, no special wheel color, you save yourself OVER EIGHT GRAND and take nothing away from the experience.
it’s a very nice build. I much prefer GT silver. It is such a classic and timeless color the new colors like the Arctic or chalk are part of that washed out book which I decided to try with my most recent Macan. Within a week I was tired of the color and regret the choice. Two years into my 992 GTS and I’m thrilled with GT silver. In terms of the option, I would ditch power steering plus. For many it’s a dealbreaker but I look at it as just useless. I would get the 18 way seats over the 14. Things like the chalk belts and the gloss badging are fluff items that I would probably omit. If I were going to throw money into an option, the one that I would pick would be the pccb . I absolutely love mine on the GTS and it’s a real statement to put it on the base car. The standard brakes are the one weak trait of that car and the irony is that it is not allowed on the Carrera T I don’t think you need for an axle lift, however, much depends on the type of vehicle you were driving previously. Even if you do nothing to your build, it’s still a beautiful car just the way it is. Congratulations!.

Last edited by yrralis1; 02-13-2024 at 03:41 PM.
ctdwp (02-13-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 04:16 PM
ctdwp
Advanced

This feedback has been GREAT and helped me eliminate some options and add some others. Still a work in progress, but this is my latest iteration...

https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRSDKBY9

I am sticking with black wheels since I was into them even before it was popular. I am still leaning toward satin since I know gloss wheels will scratch easily, and I don't think the two gloss black logos on the back are too much gloss to force me into gloss wheels. After learning they were not needed, I removed FAL and power assist steering (great savings!). I did switch the seats to 18-way and agree they look better...also added the crest to the seats. I am leaning toward GT Silver since it is a great silver not 100% sold on Artic Grey.

I'm still considering ACC and matte CF trim, but I'm not sure I really need either.
The following 2 users liked this post by ctdwp:
adrianp89 (02-13-2024), yrralis1 (02-13-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 04:24 PM
3uros
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

This feedback has been GREAT and helped me eliminate some options and add some others. Still a work in progress, but this is my latest iteration...

I am sticking with black wheels since I was into them even before it was popular. I am still leaning toward satin since I know gloss wheels will scratch easily, and I don't think the two gloss black logos on the back are too much gloss to force me into gloss wheels. After learning they were not needed, I removed FAL and power assist steering (great savings!). I did switch the seats to 18-way and agree they look better...also added the crest to the seats. I am leaning toward GT Silver since it is a great silver not 100% sold on Artic Grey.

I'm still considering ACC and matte CF trim, but I'm not sure I really need either.
Looks great...I wouldn't change a thing except maybe add ACC if you do any commuting. I live in traffic filled California and I have an ACC on every one of my cars as it really helps with fatigue.

EDIT: Don't forget to add the clear side markers once your car arrives.

Last edited by 3uros; 02-13-2024 at 04:25 PM.
ctdwp (02-13-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 07:58 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 327 Posts

it’s perfect.
Old 02-13-2024, 08:25 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,199 Likes on 1,373 Posts

That is a fallacy. I've taken two 6+ hour trips with the extended range tank and it's not made a sound. You should be more careful about these kinds of comments.
The following 5 users liked this post by Scott P:
2thHappy (02-13-2024), Corvette11 (02-13-2024), detansinn (02-13-2024), Dr. Z (02-16-2024), Icegrill (02-13-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 08:33 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

ACC will give you better PDK logic in automatic mode. It's not just for adaptive cruise control.
CF trim is played out. The default trim is actually the best trim, because it matches the knurling on the controls.

I have to admit it. I still grimace seeing a Base Carrera spec at over the $140k mark. I paid less than that (out the door) for my well equipped C4S in 2019. In 2024, I'd rather have a "stripper" S for that pricepoint or a T with some goodies like RAS.

Quick Reply: Looking for opinions on base 911 build