Old 01-23-2024, 05:03 PM
jjw285
Racer

Received 219 Likes on 101 Posts

The problem with insurance is:
  • everyone has to buy it, so they all thing they are the expert
  • insurance law is governed by the state, so each state is different
I have been in insurance 20 years.

- What should I expect? I sent the car to the collision center. They should replace the parts with Porsche new parts, I’m expecting

Yes. Given the age of the car, OEM parts will be used. That does not mean that used OEM parts cannot be used. The parts on your 2022 car were used, the replacement parts may also be used. If used parts are not available, they will use new parts. This does vary by state and your agent/claim adjuster can lend more insight.

​​​​​​- Vehicle had PPF and ceramic coating just installed! The insurance should cover this as well. Any advice on how to proceed?

This should be covered, no issues.

- My biggest concern is the vehicle depreciation. I spoke to insurance claims today and they said they don’t cover depreciation, which is BS. I looked at Arizona law and if it wasn’t your fault (which wasn’t in my case) you should be reimbursed for the vehicle. How should I proceed? Should I hire a lawyer after the repair to get the appraisal going and then file a claim and maybe go to court?!

DV claims vary by state. In most states with DV, you will actually open up an entire new claim for the DV. The posts on here that state "they will pretend to not know what you're talking about" are laughable (and could be from states that do not allow DV claims). Note you must be the owner of the vehicle to move forward with a DV claim, it cannot be a lease.

It may also be better to work with your own carrier. The at fault driver may have low limits that will greatly hold the process up. Your own carrier will also be much more likely to work with you on things like towing to a Porsche Certified repair center. You will be out your deductible, but your insurance company will pursue the at fault party and their insurance to get that back for you.

If you have other questions, I'll try to help.

Last edited by jjw285; 01-23-2024 at 05:04 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by jjw285:
Ikone (01-23-2024), Kevin_ (01-24-2024), Sa3eedi (01-23-2024), tomtomtomtom (01-28-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 05:17 PM
Sa3eedi
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jjw285
The problem with insurance is:
  • everyone has to buy it, so they all thing they are the expert
  • insurance law is governed by the state, so each state is different
I have been in insurance 20 years.

- What should I expect? I sent the car to the collision center. They should replace the parts with Porsche new parts, I’m expecting

Yes. Given the age of the car, OEM parts will be used. That does not mean that used OEM parts cannot be used. The parts on your 2022 car were used, the replacement parts may also be used. If used parts are not available, they will use new parts. This does vary by state and your agent/claim adjuster can lend more insight.

​​​​​​- Vehicle had PPF and ceramic coating just installed! The insurance should cover this as well. Any advice on how to proceed?

This should be covered, no issues.

- My biggest concern is the vehicle depreciation. I spoke to insurance claims today and they said they don’t cover depreciation, which is BS. I looked at Arizona law and if it wasn’t your fault (which wasn’t in my case) you should be reimbursed for the vehicle. How should I proceed? Should I hire a lawyer after the repair to get the appraisal going and then file a claim and maybe go to court?!

DV claims vary by state. In most states with DV, you will actually open up an entire new claim for the DV. The posts on here that state "they will pretend to not know what you're talking about" are laughable (and could be from states that do not allow DV claims). Note you must be the owner of the vehicle to move forward with a DV claim, it cannot be a lease.

It may also be better to work with your own carrier. The at fault driver may have low limits that will greatly hold the process up. Your own carrier will also be much more likely to work with you on things like towing to a Porsche Certified repair center. You will be out your deductible, but your insurance company will pursue the at fault party and their insurance to get that back for you.

If you have other questions, I'll try to help.
Both of us are insured by state farm. We both have comprehensive coverage actually. So state farm will have to pay either way. I checked and here in Arizona I am intitled to a DV since I was not at fault. It’s a good point about the seperate claim. I guess I will have to figure this out once the car gets inspected. I own the car but it’s financed. Now I’m wishing I leased but can’t go back now.

Regarding the OEM parts being used, I guess we’ll have to figure that out as well.
Old 01-23-2024, 05:30 PM
jjw285
Racer

Received 219 Likes on 101 Posts

Contact your dealer and ask how they value a trade with no claims, vs a minor/moderate level claim. Ask them to write you a trade in offer with a clear Carfax vs a rear end accident. They'll have some level of experience with it. That can be used when you pursue your DV claim. Its more of an art than a science.
The following 4 users liked this post by jjw285:
CamsPorsche (01-24-2024), Kevin_ (01-24-2024), Master Deep (01-24-2024), Sa3eedi (01-23-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 05:41 PM
Sa3eedi
AutoX

Originally Posted by jjw285
Contact your dealer and ask how they value a trade with no claims, vs a minor/moderate level claim. Ask them to write you a trade in offer with a clear Carfax vs a rear end accident. They'll have some level of experience with it. That can be used when you pursue your DV claim. Its more of an art than a science.
This is great advice. Thank you
Old 01-23-2024, 10:11 PM
user 64927802
Banned

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

My 2022 Passat got rear ended 6 months after I got it while being parked with this much damage and the motor is obviously in the front and they declared it total and the insurance sent me a check for the same amount that I put down. Yes I lost the 6 months of payments, but still was very happy that they declared it total as I definitely didn't want it afterwards No thank you!!!!
Old 01-24-2024, 02:25 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 936 Likes on 522 Posts

Body shop and glass shop costs are so insanely high now, that insurers are quick to total cars. This is why auto insurance costs are so high now, and manufacturers are making cars that are to expensive too fix and insure ($2500 windshield replacements since recalibrating the sensors and cameras alone costs $750). Its one reason why young people don't want to drive anymore (or can't afford to). Pretty soon, no one making under $100K a year will be able to afford a new car anymore.

Last edited by nyca; 01-24-2024 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-24-2024, 02:37 PM
shelbyking
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 146 Posts

POS Toyota destroys a gorgeous new 911, totally sucks. Probably some *** clown texting. Extremely common scenario.
Old 01-24-2024, 02:46 PM
Sa3eedi
AutoX

Originally Posted by nyca
Body shop and glass shop costs are so insanely high now, that insurers are quick to total cars. This is why auto insurance costs are so high now, and manufacturers are making cars that are to expensive too fix and insure ($2500 windshield replacements since recalibrating the sensors and cameras alone costs $750). Its one reason why young people don't want to drive anymore (or can't afford to). Pretty soon, no one making under $100K a year will be able to afford a new car anymore.
Reading the thread, I’m concerned that the car would be totaled. Honestly, I don’t know which option is better or worse. I really loved this one, if it gets repaired to standards and I get a DV reimbursement it might be a good option. If it is totaled then I will get reimbursed for the full cost but I’m out a car and then have to start looking again. Do you think dealerships will take this story into consideration and maybe give me an earlier allocation? This is the only scenario I would gain something if the car is totaled. I might get to spec the car and get an earlier allocation

I don’t know. The whole idea was to use it as a daily driver. I hated the idea of parking the car and only using it on weekends. But if you use it daily you increase the chances of getting into this crap! It’s just a numbers game

Old 01-24-2024, 03:09 PM
Biohazard
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 83 Posts

That definitely is the sucky part about these cars. We can't just take the payoff check from being totaled and have a new car to drive before the time is up on the rental they give you like that Toyota could. We play the waiting game for an allocation or try and find a pre-owned if possible.
The following users liked this post:
notcarbonated (01-24-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 08:01 PM
tna3
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Biohazard
That definitely is the sucky part about these cars. We can't just take the payoff check from being totaled and have a new car to drive before the time is up on the rental they give you like that Toyota could. We play the waiting game for an allocation or try and find a pre-owned if possible.
Yes but on the other hand, a 911 is not exactly a necessity whereas a Toyota could very likely be vital to sustain a day to day living.
Old 01-24-2024, 10:01 PM
Biohazard
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 83 Posts

Tna3 that is true also mainly speaking to the part of him wondering if the dealer would have a little sympothy for quicker allocation.
Old 01-25-2024, 01:23 AM
anupe
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Sa3eedi
Thank you. Your comment was super helpful. The roadside towing company “decided” on their own that there was no need to take it to Phoenix for a certified Porsche Collision center and decided to deliver it here in Tucson.

I used the link you provided and verified that Penske is an authorized collision center and this was the one initially assigned to me by Porsche until the towing company decided something else. I contacted Porsche again and they despatched a different company to take the car where it needs to go, Penske, which is the closest certified center to me. The car is in it’s way now.

I’m sure this is not the only battle I will have to go through to get this sorted out. It’s such a shame especially that it is COMPLETELY NOT MY FAULT. I should be made whole with original parts from Porsche to restore the vehicle to it’s original condition. The insurance compay should not have to dictate how I het my car repaired. It’s a new car and needs new parts.

I spoke to Penske today and they had issues dealing with state farm before. I want OEM parts and should get them. I’m expecting a fight down the line.

I spoke to the PPF shop. Once I figure out the damage and get an agreement on the repairs and the car actually gets repaired I will take it to the PPF shop.

Next I will need to figure out how to get the DV sorted out. The car has only 11000 miles on it. I should get 20-30k for that. I’m expecting it not to be easy and might need to get legal counsel as I won’t have the time to do this and lack the knowledge to proceed.

Thank you again for the info. If you have more please let me know
It is my pleasure to be an active resource to you, as other members have been to me. This is what the forum is for!

I would say take it in steps as you will need to manage your time, emotions, and energy. The priority is to focus on getting your 911 in the hands of certified professionals who can advocate on your behalf. Build your relationship with the Porsche lead at the body shop. If they worked with the insurance carrier previously and had a tough time, then they learned how to navigate and overcome those potential challenges. The bodyshop has your best interest in mind as they will want you to share positive feedback on your experience, that goes directly to Porsche.

My recommendation is to not worry about the diminished value process until you’ve moved through the repair/replacement process. You have time to file a diminished value claim. Right know you want the insurance carrier to do everything possible to repair/replace your 911 to the condition it was prior to the incident. They will naturally loose focus/interest if you push for diminished value at the same time. It’s a bit of psychology or salesmanship.

Stay positive!

Last edited by anupe; 01-25-2024 at 01:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
por356 (01-25-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 04:43 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,247 Likes on 1,258 Posts

Originally Posted by Sa3eedi
Both of us are insured by state farm. We both have comprehensive coverage actually. So state farm will have to pay either way. I checked and here in Arizona I am intitled to a DV since I was not at fault. It’s a good point about the seperate claim. I guess I will have to figure this out once the car gets inspected. I own the car but it’s financed. Now I’m wishing I leased but can’t go back now.

Regarding the OEM parts being used, I guess we’ll have to figure that out as well.
Be very careful when it comes to State Farm (and Allstate).

A buddy of mine that manages a very large BMW Collision Center swears that they are (two of) the worst when it comes to using OEM parts.
They will do everything they can to use "like" parts if they are available.

Old 01-25-2024, 09:41 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 2,008 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
Be very careful when it comes to State Farm (and Allstate).

A buddy of mine that manages a very large BMW Collision Center swears that they are (two of) the worst when it comes to using OEM parts.
They will do everything they can to use "like" parts if they are available.
Are they making enough like parts that are readily available for the 992?
Old 01-26-2024, 11:21 AM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,247 Likes on 1,258 Posts

Originally Posted by Shogunade
Are they making enough like parts that are readily available for the 992?
I have no idea.
I only know that State Farm and Allstate are highly disliked by my BMW Collision manager buddy.
The insurance company that he has no qualms speaking highly of is Chubb.

Quick Reply: 2022 Porsche 911 S got rear ended today