Sponsored by:

Hiding a Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 02:36 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by BondJ
And..hands up anyone who would trust Porsche to honour warranty on a PDK fault (or any expensive-to-fix/replace item) if it discovered an engine tune?
You could just tell them you have a tune. Then they don't have to waste a bunch of time only to "discover" you are being shady with them. It would probably be better to flash it back to stock before bringing it to them though. Chances are the first thing they will want to do is flash it back to stock to see if the fault remains, and charge you for doing it.

If you're in this situation, you aren't going to trick them, and when they discover you are being shady it's going to set a bad tone. They are either going to connect the dots back to your modifications or they aren't. I believe being honest and transparent about the situation is going to ultimately yield the best result for you in the end. I believe this also sets you up in the best position should this end up in court.

Personally if the CEL on one of my modified cars comes on, the dealer is probably the last place I would turn. If I melt down the clutch packs, I want to upgrade them so it doesn't happen again. If it is something that has nothing to do with my tune/modifications then I am going to know that before setting foot in a service center and I won't feel any need to lie or be shady about the situation.

just my .02
Old 01-18-2024, 10:29 AM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 280 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Master Deep
Thought this thread was going to be about hiding a tune from your dealer.

If she’s not getting into boost much, doubt she will notice the extra power. In normal mode this car shifts into 8th gear as fast as it can by 40mph.
Exactly. If it's driven in automatic mode all the time - might not notice at all, car just shift into top gear and that that.
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

Old 01-18-2024, 12:12 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,189 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Originally Posted by ctdubl07
here goes the phantom scare tactics of warranty delial stories circa 1992...show us a pattern of posts here of any modern P cars with dealer installed simple ecu tunes where said dealer denied a warranty claim.

If Porsche couldn’t detect it, M-Engineering would back it with a 100% warranty if they do.
Old 04-18-2024, 08:29 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
To the OP:

Your wife ain't never gonna have a clue

Unless she is sitting there doing launches. And we know that she won't be....
My wife wouldn't be doing launches and is more mechanically astute than most guys I've ever met but still would say "It seems the car is quicker lately." lol. I wouldn't hide it, I'd tell her so she'd mash the loud pedal more frequently.
Old 04-18-2024, 11:25 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,685 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike818
You could just tell them you have a tune. Then they don't have to waste a bunch of time only to "discover" you are being shady with them. It would probably be better to flash it back to stock before bringing it to them though. Chances are the first thing they will want to do is flash it back to stock to see if the fault remains, and charge you for doing it.

If you're in this situation, you aren't going to trick them, and when they discover you are being shady it's going to set a bad tone. They are either going to connect the dots back to your modifications or they aren't. I believe being honest and transparent about the situation is going to ultimately yield the best result for you in the end. I believe this also sets you up in the best position should this end up in court.

Personally if the CEL on one of my modified cars comes on, the dealer is probably the last place I would turn. If I melt down the clutch packs, I want to upgrade them so it doesn't happen again. If it is something that has nothing to do with my tune/modifications then I am going to know that before setting foot in a service center and I won't feel any need to lie or be shady about the situation.

just my .02
If the "tune" changes the CalID or the CVN numbers in the computer it will NOT good. Particularly so if flashing back to the stock program doesn't restore these numbers. If the tune changed them when it was first programed. Independent or Dealership, once you modify the electronics/software, you're either going to be on your own or it's going to be billed hourly until I figure out whatever it is that you're complaining about. The first thing any experienced Technician will do, will be to put the car back to 100% stock to see if the original problem somehow magically disappears.

Quick Reply: Hiding a Tune?