Sponsored by:

Hardwiring Vantrue E1 dash cam using passenger side fuse box

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 07:54 PM
ixsomerset
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hardwiring Vantrue E1 dash cam using passenger side fuse box

I have a Vantrue E1 dash cam I’m working on installing in my 992 Targa 4S. I’ve attached it to the windshield and fed the wire down to the passenger footwell nicely hidden. But now I’m stuck.

Which PASSENGER SIDE fuses are good to use for ACC and BAT?

I can see this exposed nut below the passenger floomat that looks like a suitable ground, however I tried M5, M6 and M8 nuts but none fit. The M6 comes closest but only goes a couple of turns before becoming tight leaving a gap too big below to hold the ground terminal in place.

has anyone had luck attaching a good ground on the passenger side?
Old 04-18-2024, 07:32 PM
roninshiba
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

You can find ground points if you look down below the fuse box and up toward the firewall. There are at least a couple of bolts that are screwed into the chassis. Sorry no photos, you have to remove the kick panel to get to them. Had wired a dashcam into the passenger fuse box, but had to remove it, coz I had an issue w/ the Kessy. Had to take the car in to fix & replace two Kessy antenna which were fried for some reason. Techs disconnected my Dashcam just to make sure that wasn’t the cause and there was no proof that it caused the issue. Am now just using the OBD port for power to the daschcam…. Will be trading in the car soon so no point in rewiring the harnesses.
The following users liked this post:
ixsomerset (04-19-2024)
Old 04-19-2024, 12:22 AM
ixsomerset
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thanks - great insight on ground location in passenger footwell

Thank you for this guidance. I now have a ground exactly where you said. Need to figure out which connections work best, but now well on the way.

Originally Posted by roninshiba
You can find ground points if you look down below the fuse box and up toward the firewall. There are at least a couple of bolts that are screwed into the chassis. Sorry no photos, you have to remove the kick panel to get to them. Had wired a dashcam into the passenger fuse box, but had to remove it, coz I had an issue w/ the Kessy. Had to take the car in to fix & replace two Kessy antenna which were fried for some reason. Techs disconnected my Dashcam just to make sure that wasn’t the cause and there was no proof that it caused the issue. Am now just using the OBD port for power to the daschcam…. Will be trading in the car soon so no point in rewiring the harnesses.
The following users liked this post:
roninshiba (04-19-2024)

Quick Reply: Hardwiring Vantrue E1 dash cam using passenger side fuse box