Matrix Headlights (again) for 992

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 12:51 PM
L76
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Matrix Headlights (again) for 992

Hi Guys,

Searched rennlist, couldn’t find the latest on this…

Has anyone been able to get a dealer to “activate” their matrix headlights (eg - put the European spec software on your US vehicle to make the matrix headlights operate as originally designed in the car)? Anyone take delivery on a 2024 992 with matrix headlights that is fully functional? Any news from Porsche Cars North America?

cheers,
L76
Old 01-02-2024, 01:55 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,062 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Most guys have been using 9xx. He does tours across the USA activating them for owners.
Old 01-02-2024, 04:33 PM
shindrome
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you elaborate how to contact 9xx? Has anyone had any luck with this software upgrade?
Old 01-02-2024, 04:36 PM
L76
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

Thx shrimp money.

Appreciate 9xx services... and may end up going that route. HOWEVER - we all know the real solution here is for Porsche Cars NA to step up and enable the features/capabilities we paid for. I *think* I have found a dealer that "can/will" do it - for service fee. I do not want to jump the gun here, or post "what" it is that they will do... until I have (or have not) had it done. I am specifically seeking the full matrix headlight capabilities that is delivered for European spec cars. This SHOULD have been what was delivered to our US-bound cars that had matrix headlights... or Porsche should not have sold (with buyers paying $ for) matrix headlights in US spec cars.

Just checking to see if anyone else has found anything on this? A Porsche Cars NA recall/warranted fix through dealer? Any dealer that will install the software and warranty it for a service fee?

Cheers,
L76
The following users liked this post:
Schwarz992C4S (01-03-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 04:59 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 745 Likes on 333 Posts

Porsche (corporate) will not activate these headlights by campaign nor provide dealers with an easy way to do it for a fee. At this point, it seems highly unlikely that they ever will. The 992.2 will likely have a different matrix headlight design, so by the time NHTSA gets their **** together, finalizes the test for adaptive lighting, and begins approving headlights in actual cars, Porsche will no longer sell a car with the version of the Matrix LEDs that the 992.1 vehicles have.

I've been told (but can't verify) that the version of PIWIS most dealers have doesn't grant access to Engineering mode, the menu that allows custom coding to be written – which is the only way to activate the headlights currently. Independent shops (including 9xx) and some dealers may be able to do it, but it is not a formally sanctioned activation by Porsche corporate in the same way that, for example, reprogramming for a retrofitted aerokit spoiler or retrofitted PSE is supported.
The following 2 users liked this post by zachr:
doug_999 (01-03-2024), Schwarz992C4S (01-03-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 05:06 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,062 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Originally Posted by shindrome
Can you elaborate how to contact 9xx? Has anyone had any luck with this software upgrade?
https://9xx.com/pages/porsche-matrix-led
tourenwagen (01-02-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 10:56 PM
mthreat
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by zachr
I've been told (but can't verify) that the version of PIWIS most dealers have doesn't grant access to Engineering mode, the menu that allows custom coding to be written – which is the only way to activate the headlights currently. Independent shops (including 9xx) and some dealers may be able to do it, but it is not a formally sanctioned activation by Porsche corporate in the same way that, for example, reprogramming for a retrofitted aerokit spoiler or retrofitted PSE is supported.
Does this imply that if one has their full Matrix capability activated via a third party such as 9xx, most dealers won't even be able to "overwrite" it if they're doing some other upgrade? (Since they don't have PIWIS access to Engineering mode?). One of my hangups about upgrading mine is, what if it gets overwritten later? I know 9xx will re-do it for a small fee, but that can also be time consuming.
Old 01-02-2024, 11:18 PM
malba2366
Burning Brakes

Received 750 Likes on 423 Posts

It is quite possible the headlights in these will never be certified in the USA, so Porsche will not turn them on. While the NHTSA has allowed Matrix headlights, they have created different standards than are in use in the rest of the world...it will likely take redesigned headlights that will be US compliant.

https://www.newsweek.com/nhtsa-roadb...-lives-1811354
doug_999 (02-16-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 03:27 AM
lizhibupt
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Looking For Travel Cost Sharing to Activate Matrix LED in PNW

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1381...ctivation.html
Old 01-03-2024, 09:46 AM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 530 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by mthreat
Does this imply that if one has their full Matrix capability activated via a third party such as 9xx, most dealers won't even be able to "overwrite" it if they're doing some other upgrade? (Since they don't have PIWIS access to Engineering mode?). One of my hangups about upgrading mine is, what if it gets overwritten later? I know 9xx will re-do it for a small fee, but that can also be time consuming.
Arrange a video chat with Anthony Wong of 9xx.com to discuss your concerns as I and many other rennlist forum members have done. He's a nice guy. Our online and in-person conversations have been great fun.

The only vehicle we have with matrix headlights is a 2022 Cayenne which is my daily driver and our main travel vehicle. While it's nice to have full functionality of the matrix headlights on the Cayenne, it might not be worthwhile on a vehicle that's driven mainly during daylight hours and/or in town.
The following 2 users liked this post by Woofman:
mthreat (01-03-2024), shrimp money (01-03-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 10:13 AM
DamonsCarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Does this imply that if one has their full Matrix capability activated via a third party such as 9xx, most dealers won't even be able to "overwrite" it if they're doing some other upgrade?.
I asked Anthony this question when I had my Turbo headlights done. His response was the modified programming was in the controller for the headlights which I gathered was at the front of the car. Usual updates you might expect would not affect that programming, and the only time you might have to reprogram is if you had accident damage that required you to change that headlight controller.

-Damon
The following 2 users liked this post by DamonsCarrera:
jfr0317 (01-03-2024), mthreat (01-03-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 11:25 AM
malba2366
Burning Brakes

Received 750 Likes on 423 Posts

If Porsche updates the module that controls the headlights then it will remove the programming. Most of the BMW coders will recode for half price in that circumstance. BMW coders can code remotely, I am not sure is 9XX is doing that yet.
Old 01-03-2024, 01:00 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 703 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by L76
This SHOULD have been what was delivered to our US-bound cars that had matrix headlights... or Porsche should not have sold (with buyers paying $ for) matrix headlights in US spec cars.
This has been discussed exhaustively on the 9YO forum. Your argument is with the NHTSA not Porsche. Porsche advised on the US configurator that individual led movement was disable for the US market so buyers were well aware of what they were getting. As others have written, 9xxx has had coding success on Cayenne, maybe he can do the 992.1 models as well. Good luck.
doug_999 (02-16-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 01:07 PM
FastAlpine
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 109 Posts

I spec'd my upcoming 992.1 T with Matrix headlights just so I could have 9xx eventually code them to full capabilities. I had a 2023 VW GTi with factory Matrix headlights and had them coded to full capabilities and they are awesome here in Pennsylvania. I just put the headlights into auto highbeams mode and the car does the rest. It dims and deactivates parts of the Matrix depending where cars are in front of you. When you finally get to an open road, watching them fully activate is great and how well they light up. Along with all of the lighting capabilities, I love how they look too.
Old 01-03-2024, 02:24 PM
DamonsCarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
Your argument is with the NHTSA not Porsche..
Has been the case with headlights in this country going back to the 1950s.

Quick Reply: Matrix Headlights (again) for 992