Sponsored by:

Would you buy a hybrid 911 (992.2)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2024, 01:01 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Another call to seriously look for my 71Cuda... So no, I would not, nor do I think I'll get another P.

siberian
My only hang up with the older stuff is the safety factor. I restomodded my 83 foxbody and I had to put a cage in it to feel safe driving it fast. Unfortunately that really impacted the fun/practicality/usefulness of the vehicle.
The roads are filled with increasingly distracted drivers operating increasingly massive tanks, and getting from A to B in one piece is pretty high on my list.

for example

https://carbuzz.com/news/scientists-...ered%20vehicle.

also this

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/for...gh-speed-crash

Last edited by Mike818; 02-03-2024 at 01:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (05-22-2024)
Old 02-03-2024, 01:46 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,169 Likes on 5,289 Posts

Originally Posted by F250to911
Don't have an SUV and I have never seen a Costco. I have a 911 daily driver and an F-250 Diesel Tremor for pulling my Airstream.
You've never seen a Costco?
Old 02-03-2024, 02:16 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,368 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike818
My only hang up with the older stuff is the safety factor. I restomodded my 83 foxbody and I had to put a cage in it to feel safe driving it fast. Unfortunately that really impacted the fun/practicality/usefulness of the vehicle.
The roads are filled with increasingly distracted drivers operating increasingly massive tanks, and getting from A to B in one piece is pretty high on my list.

for example

https://carbuzz.com/news/scientists-...ered%20vehicle.

also this

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/for...gh-speed-crash
My list of gripes of the 992 from single dealership in this State to HomeLink in PCM, shaver (a disgrace), (lack of) instrument cluster visibility, BMS and Lithium battery concerns, lack of sprayer for rear wiper, no height adjustment for belt, lack of AM radio, unable to permanently disable ***, no memory for items like heated seats/steering etc. when car is shut off etc. with no expectancy of "improvements" or "remedies" is no longer worth the aggravation.

My quest for a 71 Cuda (MT, 383/426 Hemi, 8 track, shaker scoop, headers...) however is also sobering as looking at prices for some choice models (in the $200K+ bracket for a car that sold for around 8 or 9 grand back in the day). Safety? It will definitely be a (project) summer car (I have my V8 Touareg for DD) but lack of safety features compared to modern cars is offset by the joy of not having to worry about all the electronics that can fail, no dealerships involved, parts available in a plethora of places and the feeling of being 20 again priceless. For everything else there's MC

siberian
The following 2 users liked this post by siberian:
Jeff Whitten (02-05-2024), Mike818 (02-03-2024)
Old 02-03-2024, 02:58 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 210 Posts

My list of gripes of the 992 from single dealership in this State to HomeLink in PCM, shaver (a disgrace), (lack of) instrument cluster visibility, BMS and Lithium battery concerns, lack of sprayer for rear wiper, no height adjustment for belt, lack of AM radio, unable to permanently disable ***, no memory for items like heated seats/steering etc. when car is shut off etc. with no expectancy of "improvements" or "remedies" is no longer worth the aggravation.

My quest for a 71 Cuda (MT, 383/426 Hemi, 8 track, shaker scoop, headers...) however is also sobering as looking at prices for some choice models (in the $200K+ bracket for a car that sold for around 8 or 9 grand back in the day). Safety? It will definitely be a (project) summer car (I have my V8 Touareg for DD) but lack of safety features compared to modern cars is offset by the joy of not having to worry about all the electronics that can fail, no dealerships involved, parts available in a plethora of places and the feeling of being 20 again priceless. For everything else there's MC

siberian
71 is pre emissions so there really isn't anything you can't do with it. Big block = big bucks too. I remember when I was building my SBF motor up comparing notes with my buddy and his BBC build, and it's definitely on another level. I've got an Uncle out there somewhere that is a Mopar guy, and AFAIK he managed to hang on to his Super Bee from his early adulthood. There have been many times I've wanted to let my 5.0 go, but I know future me will be pissed.

Sorry to hear you have become disillusioned with your 992.
siberian (02-03-2024)
Old 02-03-2024, 03:06 PM
F250to911
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
You've never seen a Costco?
Nope. There are none in my area and when I travel I really never spend anytime in big box stores. I don't even remember seeing any commercials on TV about Costco. I have seen their logos on ads, that's about it.
Old 02-03-2024, 03:17 PM
TheGeneral
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 116 Posts

You could possibly rephrase this and say, “would you ever buy a water-cooled 911?” You’d probably get about the same type answer but some things are probably inevitable…..
Tedster (02-06-2024)
Old 02-03-2024, 03:19 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Three months Tuesday that the car's been at the dealership. These cars have just gotten too complicated to maintain with dealerships lacking the knowledge, hourly rates of over $300 bucks an hour etc. and total disinterest of PCNA CS to address or own the issue. Thus these 3 months have been a real eye opener.

For years now Porsche went from a "excellence is expected" (and I've been a Porsche nut since the 50s as a young kid owning 356's 911s, Targas in Europe to the "dream" of owning a 992) to becoming a subsidiary of VDub who's main emphasis and goal is to to sell cars and beat Toyota in worldwide sales.

Yes pre-emissions thus an unlimited choice of customization, parts available readily from a plethora of vendors, no dealerships etc. I still regret having had to sell my 68 Roadrunner 383 (high 12s) when we left Hawaii to move to Europe so don't sell your 5.0, from one who had to and still regrets it. Several other beauties to consider, like the 67/8 GTO, Super Bee, 57 Chevy small block, 67-69 Vette, 68-70 Roadrunner... the pride in customizing it ...

siberian
Old 02-03-2024, 03:38 PM
F250to911
Instructor

Three months Tuesday that the car's been at the dealership. These cars have just gotten too complicated to maintain with dealerships lacking the knowledge, hourly rates of over $300 bucks an hour etc. and total disinterest of PCNA CS to address or own the issue. Thus these 3 months have been a real eye opener.

For years now Porsche went from a "excellence is expected" (and I've been a Porsche nut since the 50s as a young kid owning 356's 911s, Targas in Europe to the "dream" of owning a 992) to becoming a subsidiary of VDub who's main emphasis and goal is to to sell cars and beat Toyota in worldwide sales.

Yes pre-emissions thus an unlimited choice of customization, parts available readily from a plethora of vendors, no dealerships etc. I still regret having had to sell my 68 Roadrunner 383 (high 12s) when we left Hawaii to move to Europe so don't sell your 5.0, from one who had to and still regrets it. Several other beauties to consider, like the 67/8 GTO, Super Bee, 57 Chevy small block, 67-69 Vette, 68-70 Roadrunner... the pride in customizing it ...

siberian
Is your current Porsche that is being repaired a 992? Do you mind sharing what is wrong with it that it required being at the dealership for repair? Just curious as my 992 has been flawless so far.

I can see the appeal of the old vehicles from a collectors point of view but not as a daily driver like my 992. I grew up with these vehicles and they bring back a lot of good memories. But I also know the reality that most of the cars of that era were built like crap, had horrible loose steering linkage, huge steering wheels, AM/FM Cassette players, bad brakes, horrible horsepower to weight ratio, carburetors and all the associated issues, and were extremely unsafe on the road. In addition they always required constant maintenance to keep them running acceptably. Still they do have a certain charm that makes driving one fun.
Old 02-03-2024, 05:50 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Turned the ignition key and the lights went out. Dealer sat on it for 7 weeks before I raised hell and they finally issued a PRMS etc. and began to ask for help.

I grew up with those as well and fully agree with your summary, however all those items are "modifiable". Steering wheel, steering linkage, brakes etc. I can modify. And YES I WANT an AM radio for where I live, a complete idiocy that they removed it for no reason other than it may affect EVs. So what does that have to do with a 992?. An AM/FM casette or 8 track is fine I don't need a 5 grand Burmester, for me the car is the infotainment. Who cares about weight to power ratio any more than mpg in a Ferrari when I have a blown 426 Hemi. But yes, products were crap in those days and today's are over priced, over engineered, parts are scarce, and know-how is even scarcer etc. As to constant maintenance, yeah but I can sit in the engine compartment with my timing light or dwell meter, I don't need to reset an SRI (with a special computer) or worry that if I don't drive 6k miles my $2,500 battery will die etc.

But like a Ferrari, totally useless and impractical, but they have a "certain" charm.

siberian
Old 02-03-2024, 05:54 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,576 Likes on 975 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
Everyone has an SUV these days. The American lifestyle of the big box stores, Costco, etc - requires it. Years ago when I needed a new roll of paper towels, I bought one. One. Now we are buying packs of 18.
Good point. Never joined Sam’s or Costco for that very reason. I never need 6 bottles of Catsup.
Old 02-03-2024, 06:06 PM
F250to911
Instructor

Turned the ignition key and the lights went out. Dealer sat on it for 7 weeks before I raised hell and they finally issued a PRMS etc. and began to ask for help.
I can modify. And YES I WANT an AM radio for where I live, a complete idiocy that they removed it for no reason other than it may affect EVs.
But like a Ferrari, totally useless and impractical, but they have a "certain" charm.
siberian
Sorry to hear about your Porsche problem. Sounds like you have a crappy dealer to deal with.

I only brought up the AM/FM Cassette issue as a short cut means of expressing the lack of entertainment options for a daily driver. I prefer my navigation capable, SiriusXM, FM, and Car Play compatible infotainment system for a daily driver. I can't comment on the lack of AM as I never listen to it so it isn't really a loss for me. I use Apple Music or SiriusXM for everything I can think of that I want to listen to.

As for Ferrari's. I know this sounds like sacrilege on a car enthusiast forum but I would never own one even if I could. I just never could buy into their holyier than thou attitude and that you have to buy at least 2 or 3 of the lessor models of Ferrari before they will grant you the right of a chance to buy a higher end Ferrari. I know that Porsche leans that way as well with their limited allocation of GT3 cars or special editions. But at least you can walk in the door of a dealer and be placed on a list to buy one of the special cars and you can easily get allocations for the non-limited cars.
Old 02-03-2024, 06:50 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

We do, alas, have one (and only) crappy dealer in the State (near 2.5 times the size of Texas) 370 miles away. Yet since the previous manager was fired after extensive conversations with the new GM, I have hopes that he will redress the ship but the ship is listing steeply and years in the making as this is the third dealership change in 11 years. They also own the MB dealership in Anchorage as well as of course VW/Audi/Lambo (yes we have 3 of them here).

AM is a must for road and weather conditions here. As soon as you leave Fairbanks there's no cell reception and it's just another of those idiotic bean counter decisions at Porsche that have no bearing on 992s yet impact drivers who live in outlying areas and depend on the thousands of AM stations. For the rest as I said the car is my infotainment, have never signed up for Sirius or other as I have hundreds of CDs and reel tapes on MP3 and cassettes. I enjoy Lynyrd Skynyrd's Mr. Breeze full blast but I don't need a Burmester or Sirius as I prefer the roar of the engine!

Agree I never looked at Ferrari other than drool over it's lines etc. but when you're not allowed to work on them or they won't service the car... The day I can't tinker I'll call an Uber. But I must say I'm grateful as Ferrari bought my 992 for me (one of TOWMBO'd conditions).

So we'll know in the next few days, but the crap, arrogance and disinterest from PCNA to even remotely try and ascertain what the problem was with the vehicle coupled with the car being now dead for 3 months has taken the shine off the brand. So I'm slowly looking at alternatives as TOWMBO has told me "If they don't fix the car soon, you will NOT buy another Porsche".

So to answer the question of the post, no, I won't buy a hybrid Porsche.

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 02-03-2024 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-04-2024, 11:37 PM
Charles Everson
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

@nyca @F250to911 @dhirm5 @DrKarlB Just for clarity, we were talking about plug-in hybrids (PHEVs) in general with the 11 miles of pure EV range on the McLaren Artura, and Ferrari 296 GTB. According to the Car and Driver article (https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...e-911-preview/) and other rumors, the upcoming 911 models will not be plug-in hybrids but mild hybrids or a full hybrid (GTS).

The rumored MY 2025 999.2 models to come out in the first half of this year (possibly just the base and S) will have a 48V mild hybrid equipped which will add a small amount of power and torque (<30hp), add a small amount of weight (~50lbs), and will drive in pure EV mode during stop / start situations or going slowly down your driveway.

Later on, maybe as a MY 2026 or 2027, the 992.2 GTS model will be released with the naturally aspirated engine and a high voltage full hybrid system (similar to Corvette E-Ray, but NOT a plug-in hybrid like the Ferrari 296, SF-90, or McLaren Altura). It sounds like this system will incorporate the components from the mild hybrid system above, but also have a separate electric motor up front to drive the front wheels. It would add a decent amount of power (80 to 90hp per article), a decent amount of weight (only 55lbs per article? that is really light), and if changed up from driving possibly have around 4 miles of pure EV range if there was a setting to do that (E-Ray does allow this). The 992.2 GTS would be a rather unique car in the line up.

I did not see the Turbo trims mentioned, but I would assume they would just get the mild hybrid systems. The GT3 would just remain NA per other rumors.
Old 05-17-2024, 09:02 PM
DontLift
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Excited for the Hybrid

I’ve got everything from 50’s 4 cammers to Dakar and S/T on the way (and a few CGTs thrown in). Design and engineering is what has and will continue to draw me to the brand. It’s different than it was but what isn’t. Something about the history and heritage shines thru. Whether it’s a ‘57 speedster, 993 Turbo S, R, GT4, 918, CGT .. looking forward to a a well integrated extra and immediate 30-50 HP/Torque. I get the weight but my 918 does not ‘feel’ heavy. It’s all about how they engineer them that matters (to me) ..

Last edited by DontLift; 05-18-2024 at 12:32 AM.
Old 05-17-2024, 09:22 PM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Received 816 Likes on 387 Posts

It will be awesome. And at the same time I have no interest in a Hybrid 911.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a hybrid 911 (992.2)