Sponsored by:

Paint question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2023, 06:35 PM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Paint question

Had a very minor incident with in my front bumper, smaller than a finger nail casued by an object that was kicked up by another vehicle, no damage anywhere else on vehicle. Aside from a bumper replacement, the Porsche Certified Body Shop has indicated a need to blend paint with hood and front fenders. Is the blending normally needed when a bumper is replaced? GT Silver 2022 992

Last edited by SH2; 10-26-2023 at 08:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
vanlieremead (10-28-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 06:47 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,102 Posts

I would not blend into hood and fenders for a bumper.
Old 10-26-2023, 06:53 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 749 Posts

I would see if they can fix the minor gouge (or find a excellent body shop that can) to replace a full bumper - and respray to blend is not something I would recommend (Specifically the blending part). GT silver (that new) will not be a problem to match the bumper if they replace it (or if you get someone good to fix and touch up that part of the damage).

I have had much bigger issues fixed by a good body shop (had a bungee cord get stuck in a rear SUV tire) the awesome effect of that happening caused a ton of deep scrapes, chips, etc. etc. along the arch of the said bungee cord. My excellent body shop guys repaired everything (dealer said a full repaint) you could not tell, and was 1/12 of the cost.
Icegrill (10-26-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 06:59 PM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 51 Posts

The gauge is too deep to repair
Old 10-26-2023, 07:14 PM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,390 Likes on 671 Posts

GT silver is a very tough color to match. The less you do the better. I would NOT have them blend into the hood and front.
Old 10-26-2023, 07:15 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 912 Likes on 434 Posts

Umm..Do absolutely nothing other than touch up.
Old 10-27-2023, 01:35 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

Let's see a photo....place a coin next to it in the photo so show the scale....there is no gouge that is too deep to repair, there are plenty of small job fillers out there. This is a DIY spot repair from what you have written so far.

GT Silver is 2-stage, but if small it won't matter

1) Brush the touch up paint into the blemish, slightly more than needed to fill. Let dry and cure a few days
2) 1500 grit wet sandpaper to knock it down flush, Microfine papers will not gouge your paint, dip them in water and keep them wet.
3) Buffer wheel with polish of your choice to shine it up. You'll never see it.

Blending into the hood and fenders for a minor blemish is ludicrous. NEVER agree to that. When you run these silver metallic paints, the way the actual metal flake lays on the body depends on that particular paint mix, the brand of paint gun and who is spraying on a given day. The reflectivity of the flake will be off considerably when you start doing panels. You have to paint the entire car or it will look patched in the sunlight. That's the real downside of any metallic paint finish vs solid colors. If I have a silver metallic car that needs a repair on a panel, I always have them shoot the entire vehicle.

Here's a photo of a Meteor Metallic Car for sale currently in California. You can see the front fender has been repainted as the reflectivity does not match the door.

Last edited by drcollie; 10-28-2023 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-27-2023, 04:56 PM
Newport IRL
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
NEVER agree to that. When you run these silver metallic paints, the way the actual metal flake lays on the body depends on that particular paint mix and who is spraying on a given day. The reflectivity will be off considerably when you start doing panels. You have to paint the entire car or it will look patched in the sunlight. That's the real downside of any metallic paint finish vs solid colors.
From many personal experiences, can confirm this is the case.
Old 10-27-2023, 06:04 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,570 Likes on 663 Posts

Something must be missing from this story. I honestly can’t imagine any body shop recommending doing anything to an adjacent undamaged panel. This can’t be the whole story.
Icegrill (10-27-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 06:57 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 912 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
Something must be missing from this story. I honestly can’t imagine any body shop recommending doing anything to an adjacent undamaged panel. This can’t be the whole story.
This IS the story when car listings say “no stories”.
Old 10-27-2023, 07:07 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 858 Likes on 527 Posts

Post a photo. Most likely a spot touch up or air brush would fix 80% of it. Blending it would make a mountain out of a mole hill.
The following 2 users liked this post by rasetsu:
Icegrill (10-27-2023), TheGeneral (10-29-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 07:11 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,570 Likes on 663 Posts

Years ago, I took my BMW to a BMW authorized body shop. They screwed it up so badly, I couldn't believe it. I asked the manager to come out and look. I asked,"Are you serious? Would you accept this?" He apologized and said they'd redo it. After the second attempt it was only bad instead of horrible. Fortunately, I've never had any experience with a certified Porsche body shop, but I don't think "certified" means anything. Over the decades, I've had at least 10 significant deer encounters (yes, no exaggeration). The body shop I used was so great (and I'm the pickiest guy on the planet) that I didn't worry about body work anymore. Unfortunately, the owners retired. That's why i tried the certified BMW place. It sounds like the guys you are talking to are either exceedingly incompetent or con artists or both.
Icegrill (10-27-2023)
Old 10-28-2023, 05:49 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 735 Likes on 388 Posts

Post a photo please

bumpers are tricky and most shops now days blend because it’s easier and faster

matching a bumper to hood/fenders takes time, a great eye, but it’s definitely doable

we’re currently working on three projects, riviera blue/GT silver/basalt black and all three did not require blending into surrounding areas 👌
The following 2 users liked this post by MoeMistry:
detansinn (10-28-2023), TheGeneral (10-29-2023)
Old 10-28-2023, 07:33 AM
readydiverone
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

So this issue is the subject of a long and detailed thread, find it here: https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1364...e-what-do.html

I will tell you that I decided to go with repainting the bumper rather than a spot touch up and it came out perfectly--looks like new, paint matches perfectly, can't tell anything was done at all. It's not cheap but given the overall cost of the car not too bad (I paid about $1500). Many rennlisters weighed in saying that any significant spot/scratch repair would become visible over time and very difficult to fix thereafter--specifically, the line/seam where the new clear coat is applied after the scratch/issue is repainted apparently becomes pretty visible given UV issues, etc.

To be clear, when proceeding in this fashion, i.e., repairing the entire bumper or panel, they don't "re-paint" the entire panel/bumper. Instead, after removing the bumper entirely, they prep and repaint the affected area and then re-do the clear coat on the entire bumper so that the repair is completely seamless.

Also, there was absolutely no "blending" with the other panels, they never even mentioned that idea.

So, a touch up might work if the spot is really small, but otherwise, if you want the car to look perfect you'll need to redo the entire panel as described above.

Good luck.

Old 10-28-2023, 08:23 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

Original damage is always better than a shoddy repair. That being said, a little touch up paint can go a long way if it really bothers you.
I wouldn't respray anything here unless you're planning to take some step like PPF... or not drive your car ever again. There will be other things that hit your bumper.

Save the respray for when it comes time to sell the car. Even then, only do it if deemed necessary.
drcollie (10-28-2023)

Quick Reply: Paint question