Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RAS cars are equipped with Lithium batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2023 | 11:03 AM
adrianp89
Pro

Originally Posted by lone992
My '23 T, non RAS car has the lithium battery installed as standard equipment. I haven't had any issues since my delivery in late June. However, with the reported battery problems and until there is a cost effective solution, I would highly recommend the use of a battery maintainer, especially if the vehicle isn't being driven on a regular basis.

I'm personally using a Noco Genius5 maintainer, it has a force mode feature that will allow charging if the battery goes below 1V.
My last two cars were some sort of plug in. I don't want to plug in another car lol
Old 09-21-2023 | 11:35 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by null
You can always just throw an aftermarket lithium battery in, instead. Seems all upside, to me...
Might void the warranty, and all sorts of things electronics related.
Old 09-21-2023 | 12:22 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
They can't actually void the warranty... that is a dealer talking boloney. You can look at the Magnnson-Moss Act to verify this. You can put aftermarket parts in your car, and they can't void the warranty. Unless you don't put in a similar product or it illegal or something odd.

-According to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act: a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty of your vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part was the cause of or contributed to the failure of the vehicle (15 U.S.C. 2302 (C)).-

But FYI, the battery does not mess with electronics in a car, it is basically a vessel that stores energy to be drawn on when needed, and supports the system during higher loads. The Cars system reads the voltages at the batteries and then makes decisions on if the battery is in a good state of charge or not and if too low throws flags, but the battery cannot hurt the electronics or force energy into electronics at all when you use a 12v/13v battery in a 12/13v system. Only if you used like an 18 or 24v battery in your system would it hurt it....and no one is going to do that.

The only reason Porsche, and the Owners of these Cars is tied to this battery is they put the IBS Intelligent Battery sensor INSIDE their Lithium Battery so you have to plug your connector into the port on Porsches Lithium Battery , whereas normally on an AGM equipped Porsche the IBS is attached to the Negative Terminal Clamp. So they did this to make it so you could not use another lithium battery except Porches. But there is a work around... it just changing the ground strap. We are looking for people to test this with. Because if you simply change to a AGM ground strap you plug the IBS plug into the Negative Clamp and don't have to use the Porsche Lithium Battery port.

Last edited by Antigravity; 09-21-2023 at 12:27 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Antigravity:
adrianp89 (09-21-2023), alin2 (09-21-2023), Kevin_ (01-06-2024), null (09-21-2023), rasetsu (09-21-2023), Vicbastige (09-21-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-21-2023 | 12:47 PM
null
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Not sure if this was a joke based on the "6K miles per year" BS / caveat that Porsche tried to pull, but I don't believe this would be a valid basis for denials. It's a "dumb" (i.e. passive) battery, without internal logic to cause harm to the car.
Old 09-21-2023 | 01:13 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

>> Because if you simply change to a AGM ground strap you plug the IBS plug into the Negative Clamp and don't have to use the Porsche Lithium Battery port.

@Antigravity Does the car also need to be correctly coded for an AGM battery? I know PIWIS has a setting for Li / AGM under the car configuration menu...
Old 09-21-2023 | 07:17 PM
someforumguy
Banned

Has this problem with the batteries been resolved for MY2024 cars? Specifically for 2024 Carrera T with RAS?
Old 09-21-2023 | 07:43 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jlegelis
>> Because if you simply change to a AGM ground strap you plug the IBS plug into the Negative Clamp and don't have to use the Porsche Lithium Battery port.

@Antigravity Does the car also need to be correctly coded for an AGM battery? I know PIWIS has a setting for Li / AGM under the car configuration menu...
Well the Lithium equipped cars will have coding for a Lithium Battery, but in PIWIS if you go with an AGM Battery as the replacement you can have it coded to the AGM setting in PIWIS. Our battery can work with the AGM setting or Lithium Setting.
The following users liked this post:
Pman911 (11-26-2023)
Old 09-21-2023 | 08:43 PM
Yojeffo
Rennlist Member

I’ve read hundreds of posts about lithium battery issues, and I must admit that I don’t understand what the hell it’s all about.

My previous 911 Cabrio C4S had RAS and a lithium battery. Never had a problem with it but it was my daily driver, so it didn’t sit unattended for very long. My current 911, a Targa 4 GTS with RAS and a lithium battery will be idle in my garage for 12 days.

I’ve installed a CTEK charger with all the appropriate wires and attached a pic of the battery label about the battery.

Question is… If I leave it in charging mode, will I have problems in 12 days. Or should I not attach the charger and go to Italy thinking about Ducat's and pasta and not the battery?

Yes, I know this is basic but the horror stories on this list concern me.

Thanks.

Old 09-21-2023 | 09:35 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Focus on the Duke's and the fettuccini. Forget about the battery.
Yojeffo (09-21-2023)
Old 09-21-2023 | 09:59 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Yojeffo
I’ve read hundreds of posts about lithium battery issues, and I must admit that I don’t understand what the hell it’s all about.

My previous 911 Cabrio C4S had RAS and a lithium battery. Never had a problem with it but it was my daily driver, so it didn’t sit unattended for very long. My current 911, a Targa 4 GTS with RAS and a lithium battery will be idle in my garage for 12 days.

I’ve installed a CTEK charger with all the appropriate wires and attached a pic of the battery label about the battery.

Question is… If I leave it in charging mode, will I have problems in 12 days. Or should I not attach the charger and go to Italy thinking about Ducat's and pasta and not the battery?

Yes, I know this is basic but the horror stories on this list concern me.
Looks to me like you are thoughtfully well prepared. Keep it plugged in while you are gone. Very rich people with multi-car collections leave their cars connected to maintainers for months at a time. Maintainers like CTEKs know to go into float mode followed by pulse mode to keep the battery charged without overcharging so just leave it plugged in when you are going to be away for over a week.
Yojeffo (09-21-2023)
Old 11-26-2023 | 03:13 PM
lizhibupt
Instructor

Circling back on this thread. Given more of us who just receive their 2024 models, can you confirm with the RAS option, what type of battery do you get? My car’s now sitting at Benecia and pending for delivery. It has RAS and I will report back once i get it, cheers!
Old 11-26-2023 | 03:30 PM
tna3
Racer

Originally Posted by lizhibupt
Circling back on this thread. Given more of us who just receive their 2024 models, can you confirm with the RAS option, what type of battery do you get? My car’s now sitting at Benecia and pending for delivery. It has RAS and I will report back once i get it, cheers!
Mine got AGM with RAS. 9/23 build.
Old 11-26-2023 | 03:32 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Configurator no longer shows Li battery with RAS.
Old 11-26-2023 | 03:58 PM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

My September 24 build 992T without RAS has the Li-Ion battery fitted.
Old 11-26-2023 | 04:02 PM
Devon Racer
Rennlist Member

@lizhibupt My car is being collected tomorrow and I have seen it already and ,most definitively has a Lithium Battery as per the pics above posted by @Yojeffo
Hope that helps your car will have the same I am sure. Best Devon Racer.

Quick Reply: RAS cars are equipped with Lithium batteries?