Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RAS cars are equipped with Lithium batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2023, 12:45 PM
tna3
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Its pretty easy... it just a new Negative Ground cable. The new Cable has the IBS , Intelligent battery sensor, on the clamp and you just plug it in there rather than having to plug it into the Porsche Lithium Battery. They are manufacturers so they want to be able to swap and install different batteries easy as pie, so the lithiums get the Ground Cable with no IBS because the IBS is in the battery and the non Lithium gets the IBS on the Negative Clamp. While the AGM could probably easily handle the Lithium Charging profile, since they aren't dramatically different, it best to probably get it coded to AGM.
What's the process to swap AGM with Antigravity Lithium? Last I had checked 992 wasn't listed as supported.
Old 12-08-2023, 12:51 PM
repcapale
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Not if your the person having the problem... Porsche is charging from about $2500 for the replacement and install. THat is absolutely absurd, and they don't warranty it in most cases, yet they sold the Lithium as a battery that lasts longer than lead and has more benefits, which it does and should have. So it easy to say that the issue is overcooked when it isn't you its happening too, but when your the Customer that is on the hook for a $2500 battery that should last about 8-10 years and you did notthing wrong, then you going to be pretty upset.
The US batteries must be a sub par version or something.

All Canadian cars have Lithium batteries since 992 production began. My friend has a 2020 with Lithium battery and he has had zero issues.

My car has had zero issues so far, and all that weight savings! Think about it!!
The following users liked this post:
CanAutM3 (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 01:40 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by repcapale
The US batteries must be a sub par version or something.

All Canadian cars have Lithium batteries since 992 production began. My friend has a 2020 with Lithium battery and he has had zero issues.

My car has had zero issues so far, and all that weight savings! Think about it!!
Which is hilariously ironic considering how notoriously bad lithium chemistry is at low temps. Sounds like being Canadian opted you into the Porsche Beta test.
Old 12-08-2023, 02:08 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 780 Likes on 363 Posts

>> Which is hilariously ironic considering how notoriously bad lithium chemistry is at low temps. Sounds like being Canadian opted you into the Porsche Beta test.

So, um that's totally backward. Sure they lose some at low temps, but they are much better than lead-acid. Here's even a mention on this from a Canadian publication

CanAutM3 (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 02:14 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlegelis
>> Which is hilariously ironic considering how notoriously bad lithium chemistry is at low temps. Sounds like being Canadian opted you into the Porsche Beta test.

So, um that's totally backward. Sure they lose some at low temps, but they are much better than lead-acid. Here's even a mention on this from a Canadian publication
I'm not talking about capacity.

Since you brought it up though... When you have a BMS that will lock out the battery when it drops below a certain voltage, and a chemistry that changes voltage with temperature..... you might run into some problems.

I am talking about operating temperatures of the cells, and how you can't charge most Lithium chemistry's below freezing without damaging them. Electric cars deal with this by actively managing cell temperature.
Old 12-08-2023, 02:31 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 780 Likes on 363 Posts

>> I am talking about operating temperatures of the cells, and how you can't charge most Lithium chemistry's below freezing without damaging them.

I don't know much (anything) about Li chemistry, but just noting that Porsche (like all car makers) does massive amount of cold weather testing (just ask @siberian ), so wondering if putting Li batteries in *all* CA 992 is some sort of cold weather advantage? In any case, the car is constantly 'charging' the Li battery in all temps, so your statement about 'not being able to charge below freezing' doesn't pass this sniff test at first review. Not arguing - just calling out seemingly conflicting datapoints.
Old 12-08-2023, 02:35 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlegelis
>> I am talking about operating temperatures of the cells, and how you can't charge most Lithium chemistry's below freezing without damaging them.

I don't know much (anything) about Li chemistry, but just noting that Porsche (like all car makers) does massive amount of cold weather testing (just ask @siberian ), so wondering if putting Li batteries in *all* CA 992 is some sort of cold weather advantage? In any case, the car is constantly 'charging' the Li battery in all temps, so your statement about 'not being able to charge below freezing' doesn't pass this sniff test at first review. Not arguing - just calling out seemingly conflicting datapoints.
Just read a data sheet for any LFP cell. Most aftermarket automotive lithium batteries also come with this warning.

Old 12-08-2023, 02:37 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,378 Posts

There are two issues here.

The BMS (a crap piece of software definitely not ready for prime time) and the actual LiFePO4.

There are many issues with these types of batteries like the difficulty of putting out LiFePO4 battery fires (like in a collision) but charging by sub-zero temps is not one of them (living 120 or so miles from the arctic circle).

As to BMS...

siberian

PS Your handle brings a tear to my eyes having owned a 68 Roadrunner high 12s in the 1/4 mile

Last edited by siberian; 12-08-2023 at 02:38 PM.
Mike818 (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 02:38 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Page 4

https://antigravitybatteries.com/dow...ser-Manual.pdf

" Do not jump-start a frozen battery. Do not charge a frozen battery. Only charge within the range of 0°C to 45°C (33°F to 113°F). "

If anyone has the data sheet for the actual cells used in the Porsche Battery that would be extremely helpful information.

Last edited by Mike818; 12-08-2023 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-08-2023, 03:02 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The battery is constantly being charged by the alternator in sub zero conditions after the car being left outdoors by -40F or below. Porsche et al do cold weather testing up here as well as in the Nordic countries.

siberian
Old 12-08-2023, 03:11 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by siberian
The battery is constantly being charged by the alternator in sub zero conditions after the car being left outdoors by -40F or below. Porsche et al do cold weather testing up here as well as in the Nordic countries.

siberian
Exactly my point.

It's nice that Porsche did "testing" but I tend to believe the published literature and documentation from the actual manufacturers.

Last edited by Mike818; 12-08-2023 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-08-2023, 03:18 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Not sure I understand what you're getting at.

Temperatures below freezing do not prevent a LiFePO4 from charging. While most cars have engine block heaters (as well as battery, remote start and oil pan blankets), the 992 doesn't and in my experience I've not had any issues with it not charging in below freezing temps.

My only limit is the fact that I don't use Mobil1 C40 0w-40 but LiquiMoly which is C40 but 5w-40 so I'm limited to driving when temps are above -20F.

siberian
Old 12-08-2023, 03:29 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

sorry for the confusion, this is not an issue of the battery "accepting" a charge. If you charge a frozen cell it will damage the internals of the battery. I'm not an expert but I believe the term is Lithium Plating.
Old 12-08-2023, 03:48 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

OK so several car manufacturers (including the VW/Audi family as well as MB et al) come to do winter testing up here. I personally test drove for VW/Audi/Bentley and cars were left outdoors (we had two shifts with about 400 miles driven per shift) with no auxiliary warming devices. I didn't see or in my case experience battery malfunctions due to "frozen cell(s)" or battery failing due cold and not charging.

I've seen plenty of LiFePO4 failures due to BMS and phantom battery drain issues etc. such as PVTS, memory seats, etc. But that's a coding issue in BMS not a LiFePO4 failure per se.

I will concede that any battery (whether AGM, wet or LiFePO4) if exposed to sufficiently cold temperatures will fail due to cell failure. But unless you live in extreme weather conditions, it's irrelevant.

siberian
Old 12-08-2023, 04:11 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by siberian
OK so several car manufacturers (including the VW/Audi family as well as MB et al) come to do winter testing up here. I personally test drove for VW/Audi/Bentley and cars were left outdoors (we had two shifts with about 400 miles driven per shift) with no auxiliary warming devices. I didn't see or in my case experience battery malfunctions due to "frozen cell(s)" or battery failing due cold and not charging.

I've seen plenty of LiFePO4 failures due to BMS and phantom battery drain issues etc. such as PVTS, memory seats, etc. But that's a coding issue in BMS not a LiFePO4 failure per se.

I will concede that any battery (whether AGM, wet or LiFePO4) if exposed to sufficiently cold temperatures will fail due to cell failure. But unless you live in extreme weather conditions, it's irrelevant.

siberian
That sounds like a lot of fun. I don't know how this failure mode commonly manifests, or how long it takes. I also don't know how that stacks up to a Lead Acid variant given a certain climate. If it was a nothingburger though, I don't think OEMs would be investing in / spending on active thermal management for their EVs.

What I do know is that every data sheet I have ever read for an LFP cell carries this stipulation.

Lead acid batteries go bad all the time, that's well understood and accepted. However it is cheap and easy to replace a lead acid battery.

Last edited by Mike818; 12-08-2023 at 04:39 PM.

Quick Reply: RAS cars are equipped with Lithium batteries?