Sponsored by:

Moshammer Ducktail V2

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2023, 11:16 AM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 768 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott P
So then you are of the belief that Porsche designed the 992 with the complete ability to run the car at high speeds with the spoiler down likely in recognition there is a concomitant horsepower loss as well?? Or, if you put the spoiler up you get more horsepower?
AFAIK you can't disable the standard retractable wing, unless by "high speeds" you mean below 55mph. It automatically opens around that speed.
Old 11-14-2023, 12:16 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,427 Posts

still then your logic seems to fail if that's the case no?
Old 11-14-2023, 01:45 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

I'm not following your point, or maybe you're not following mine. Maybe this will clarify.

On cars with the standard retractable spoiler, the spoiler opens at speed (regardless of user's setting), creating a large air path through the intercoolers as long as you're above 50-something mph.

On cars with the fixed options (sport classic, aerokit) there is a large opening beneath the wing creating a large air path to the intercoolers.

On this (fixed) Moshammer unit, the opening is much smaller than the one offered by the aerokit or sport classic duckbill, potentially restricting airflow more than the stock unit.

We know if there's a minimal opening it causes increased IATs and reduced power output. This Moshammer unit's opening is on the smaller end between the crummy aerokit replica referenced in the thread I linked and the OEM aerokit. So I'd worry that this will cause similar problems, perhaps to a lesser extent, to what the db carbon replica did.
The following users liked this post:
AlterZgo (11-14-2023)
Old 11-14-2023, 03:12 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 768 Likes on 355 Posts

I wish I could measure IATs before and after the spoiler install but I simply won't have time. I'm dropping my car off at the dealer for paint/install/coding tomorrow and leaving town for 2 weeks. I would be happy to measure IATs at some point, but I'd have to have another Carrera around with the base engine to compare it to.
OMFS (11-16-2023)
Old 11-14-2023, 03:50 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,427 Posts

Originally Posted by zachr
I'm not following your point, or maybe you're not following mine. Maybe this will clarify.

On cars with the standard retractable spoiler, the spoiler opens at speed (regardless of user's setting), creating a large air path through the intercoolers as long as you're above 50-something mph.

On cars with the fixed options (sport classic, aerokit) there is a large opening beneath the wing creating a large air path to the intercoolers.

On this (fixed) Moshammer unit, the opening is much smaller than the one offered by the aerokit or sport classic duckbill, potentially restricting airflow more than the stock unit.

We know if there's a minimal opening it causes increased IATs and reduced power output. This Moshammer unit's opening is on the smaller end between the crummy aerokit replica referenced in the thread I linked and the OEM aerokit. So I'd worry that this will cause similar problems, perhaps to a lesser extent, to what the db carbon replica did.
In the retracted position, the stock Carrera spoiler and Moshammer exhibit the same lack of ability to channel air in to the engine-that is what I'm saying.
Old 11-14-2023, 04:36 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

In the retracted position, the stock Carrera spoiler and Moshammer exhibit the same lack of ability to channel air in to the engine-that is what I'm saying.
Sure, but the retracted position is only the case below 50mph. You can't force it to stay closed above that speed, and you can't really push the engine hard enough for heat soaking to be a problem without exceeding 50-something mph (thus extending the spoiler). It wouldn't surprise me if there is undocumented behavior to raise the spoiler (or delay retracting it) if temperatures exceed a certain threshold either.
Old 11-14-2023, 04:44 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

In the retracted position, the Moshammer surely has to be doing more than this is

The question for me is what the difference is when it's deployed. Both factory solutions seem to have a bigger opening. Someone, maybe me, will have to test it
The following 2 users liked this post by VarTheVar:
OMFS (11-16-2023), zachr (11-14-2023)
Old 11-14-2023, 04:55 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

I just shot them an email and I'll report back
zachr (11-14-2023)
Old 11-15-2023, 09:29 AM
dogshyne
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by vintage38
Looks like Moshammer hit this one out of the Park. Another great option for us. And no messing around with the third brake light is nothing but Nice.

sport classic has the third brake light integrated into the ducktail. From this pic it looks like it will hide the third brake light from drivers behind. No more bacon strips visible!!
Old 11-15-2023, 10:55 AM
ltdodge
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by dogshyne
sport classic has the third brake light integrated into the ducktail. From this pic it looks like it will hide the third brake light from drivers behind. No more bacon strips visible!!
yeah, that car is in a foreign country. US has laws for visible 3rd brake lights. when I installed my aerokit, the 3rd brake light was not working correctly. while the shop was trying to figure it out, i got pulled over by the police for my 3rd brake light. i explained the issue and let me go with a warning. Curious how local LEO will let you go for not having a visible 3rd brake light
Old 11-15-2023, 01:25 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

I got somewhat of an answer back and I asked a follow-up. The gist of it is

...have you tested before and after IATs with the EVO II Ducktail?
Hi and good morning,
yes of course. All our parts are developed by engineers.
You can see the description of the part:

Revolutionary Ram Air Ducts: The Moshammer 992 Ducktail Evo II boasts specially crafted Ram Air Ducts seamlessly integrated into its design. These ducts play a pivotal role in elevating your Porsche 992’s performance by ensuring a consistent and efficient supply of cold, fresh air directly to the intercoolers. The results are nothing short of remarkable.

Please feel free to write us again for any further questions and please send us some pictures after the installation.

Best regards

Ina

Moshammer Sales Team

Hello, thank you for that. I read the product description and I saw that the spoiler had integrated ram air before I made the purchase.

I was just curious if there was a higher, equal, or lower IAT compared to stock, or if it was just deemed an acceptable level and not measured against the oem spoiler. ​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
zachr (11-15-2023)
Old 11-15-2023, 01:28 PM
shelbyking
Banned

Received 261 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by shrimp money
Can’t wait to see all the fake Sport Classics. You guys can eat at the fake GT3 table.
That is hillarious, good one!
Old 11-15-2023, 01:30 PM
shelbyking
Banned

Received 261 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by dogshyne
Damn, the more i look at this the more I like it. That would look really cool with Lava Orange or Miami Blue.
OMFS (11-16-2023)
Old 11-16-2023, 11:36 AM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Final response from them. I'm happy they took the time to respond. They got an engineer on the line this time

Hi Var,

Thank you for reaching out and expressing your interest. I appreciate your inquiry regarding the IAT value and would be happy to provide some clarification.

In our design process for the Ducktail Ram Air Ducts, we prioritize optimizing airflow and air mass delivery to the coolers. Unlike in a CFD simulation, the IAT value is not calculated but rather determined under real driving conditions. Various factors, including air mass, ambient temperature, and installed components, play a role in this determination.

As outlined in the product description, our Ram Air Ducts are designed with a significant enlargement to ensure a constant supply of fresh air. Specifically, in comparison to the Sport Classic, the inlet area has been increased by more than 18%. This substantial size difference is integral to meeting the basic requirements for improved IAT scores.

I want to assure you that all our components undergo rigorous safety testing by the Technical Inspection Association TÜV of the German Federal Government. These tests include a requirement that add-on parts must not negatively impact the vehicle's functionality by even +- 1%. Considering for example the Porsche 992 GTS's top speed of over 309 km/h or the GT3 Touring 320km/h, our components are subject to test conditions that replicate these speeds, ensuring their functionality is not compromised.

We are always dedicated to ensuring the optimal performance and safety of our products.

Wishing you all the best with our beautiful Ducktail!

Best regards,

Mark Fürstenberg

Development Engineer
​​​​​​​
The following 3 users liked this post by VarTheVar:
OMFS (11-16-2023), Schwarz992C4S (02-16-2024), zachr (11-16-2023)
Old 11-16-2023, 11:47 AM
OMFS
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by VarTheVar
Final response from them. I'm happy they took the time to respond. They got an engineer on the line this time
Basically it comes down to wether you believe them or not. I’m definitely installing one.
VarTheVar (11-16-2023)

Quick Reply: Moshammer Ducktail V2