Sponsored by:

992 "Allocation" only now...wth

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2023, 03:05 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,516 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey94025
This sounds like a time traveler who jumped from 2018 to present... Covid / parts shortage / supply chain disruptions / parts availability causing new/used car inventory issues and prices to increase? TX: Must be fake news.
I think the OP tries to have fun or prank people..says he bought 19 P cars and knows the dealer owner yet ask on a forum what it takes to get one… nah
The following 5 users liked this post by Tobeit:
Billy Bluejay (08-26-2023), hfkuan (08-30-2023), Icegrill (08-26-2023), Jaye Bass (08-31-2023), shrimp money (08-26-2023)
Old 08-26-2023, 04:41 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,292 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by 20C4S
I like it because if the person knows exactly what he wants he can get it.

I hate it because it's no longer about the car. The first question now is "What color is it?"

Sucks that the standard color palette is pretty weak. Pure money grab I agree.
I share similar sentiments. I swear no one cares that it’s a 911. They care that it’s PTS and went through Sonderwunch. That’s the only reason they buy a 911.
Old 08-27-2023, 11:24 AM
SirBeans
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
Hell, I don't mind waiting a few months. But I don't like playing the allocation game. And I have zero interest in a "gray" or black car. And I'm done with white. So I am a PTS Disorder guy. That probably further complicates matters, I'm sure. It takes them all of twenty minutes to change paint at the factory, I've seen it. Total money grab on the paint deal. Heck, you can only get like three colors now without an upcharge. Next year you may only get primer, and have to pay for the paint. Too funny. We all know we're here for...
HAAAAA. HAAAAA. THIS GUY KILLS ME. ….I Don’t MIND WAITING A FEW MONTHS……. welcome to the party pal.
The following 2 users liked this post by SirBeans:
Icegrill (08-27-2023), jbl16 (08-28-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 07:36 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,656 Likes on 783 Posts

And to the poster who said don't buy a Porsche, if I need your advice I'll ask for it . . .
Uhm, you did ask for it. You asked for their input and they gave you an honest - and 100% accurate - answer. I am not sure why you are lashing out because you don't like the answer. Good luck getting that MSRP allocation with no wait!

Last edited by Drew46; 08-28-2023 at 07:37 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Drew46:
hfkuan (08-30-2023), Sully819 (08-28-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 07:55 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,173 Likes on 3,019 Posts

Allocations are not a new thing at all. The model existed before the pandemic. Waiting for an allocation is much more common thing now, because demand remains so high. ADMs are also not a new thing either, but with demand, they’re also much more common.

You can dislike these trends, but there is whole line of people willing to pay ADM and getting in the allocation queue.

Higher interest rates don’t appear to have softened 911 demand at all, which shows that a large contingent are paying cash for these cars.

Those hoping to wait it all out are seeing that the cars are just getting more expensive every year.
The following 3 users liked this post by detansinn:
Icegrill (08-28-2023), Motorin Mark (08-28-2023), Sully819 (08-28-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 12:21 PM
Motorin Mark
Racer

Received 442 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
Allocations are not a new thing at all. The model existed before the pandemic. Waiting for an allocation is much more common thing now, because demand remains so high. ADMs are also not a new thing either, but with demand, they’re also much more common.

You can dislike these trends, but there is whole line of people willing to pay ADM and getting in the allocation queue.

Higher interest rates don’t appear to have softened 911 demand at all, which shows that a large contingent are paying cash for these cars.

Those hoping to wait it all out are seeing that the cars are just getting more expensive every year.
Could not of stated that any better myself as this is so, so true these days. A year ago I agreed to a "reasonable" ADM on my order and glad I did as I received my car in a little over four months and the list price has gone up twice since then and ADM's are still alive and kicking for those that don't want to wait a year or two.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (08-29-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 04:06 PM
tonie90
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

I hate to say it but this is likely to continue. Anything desirable has an ADM, and Porsche is trying to raise their prices and margins by a fair amount (while also complaining too may 50 year olds drive the cars? WTF).

If people didnt pay the dealers wouldn't get an ADM simple as that. Also idk how they can market to a younger demo with their pricing now. A cayenne is 100K for an S (80ish for a base). Thats a lot to try and sell an up and coming family on.

The following 2 users liked this post by tonie90:
detansinn (08-29-2023), SilverSteel (08-29-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 04:46 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,829 Likes on 954 Posts

I needed a bit of amusement. The disbelief on account of being uninformed.
Motorin Mark (08-28-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 11:58 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 142 Posts

I have been happily living in Cayenne, Turbo land with no real desire to get anything else. Not uninformed, not wanting to be informed because I am happy with what I have. There's a difference. I detect some condescending attitudes from some relative newbies, and that is sad for this forum. I have been on here for some time, and I have helped many with their cars. I dismiss those marshmallows, and thank those who are sincere.

I am not worried about acquiring an allocation, I want a PTS D. If I can't get my color, I don't want it. You get to an age where you want what you want, and you can afford it, and I don't want used, I don't want silver, black or white.

When you have what you love, you don't look because you don't care. It was by choice. I'm no stranger to cars where I live, as I have bought more cars from a single dealer than most people buy in two lifetimes. So when I ask the owner I want a car, it usually goes well. I have two Porsches now, and thinking about a third, but instead of selling one, maybe I keep. I will take some time and look at a couple of different manufacturers, since the owner of this dealership also owns other high-end sports car dealerships. If I go, I am happy to share my story. Life is so much about relationships, don't you agree?!
Old 08-29-2023, 12:06 AM
tonie90
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

I have been happily living in Cayenne, Turbo land with no real desire to get anything else. Not uninformed, not wanting to be informed because I am happy with what I have. There's a difference. I detect some condescending attitudes from some relative newbies, and that is sad for this forum. I have been on here for some time, and I have helped many with their cars. I dismiss those marshmallows, and thank those who are sincere.

I am not worried about acquiring an allocation, I want a PTS D. If I can't get my color, I don't want it. You get to an age where you want what you want, and you can afford it, and I don't want used, I don't want silver, black or white.

When you have what you love, you don't look because you don't care. It was by choice. I'm no stranger to cars where I live, as I have bought more cars from a single dealer than most people buy in two lifetimes. So when I ask the owner I want a car, it usually goes well. I have two Porsches now, and thinking about a third, but instead of selling one, maybe I keep. I will take some time and look at a couple of different manufacturers, since the owner of this dealership also owns other high-end sports car dealerships. If I go, I am happy to share my story. Life is so much about relationships, don't you agree?!

Glad you noticed, this is the newish rennlist where we are supposed to be ok with paying ADM's and not driving the cars. Been on this forum since I got my first porsche and the transformation from people talking about driving their cars, to talking about stitching and resale value are enough to make you cry.

Go to your local C&C and see how many 992 gt3's pull up, when you talk to one of the owners, for the most part they haven't sniffed the track and want to tell you about how few miles it has...wtf.

I will say the brand in general is trending this way as they try to be more Ferrari-like, and it's only gotten worse post IPO. There are plenty of good dealers however who will sell you a car at MSRP and won't play allocation games, you just have to search (and steer clear of Cali dealers, and some northeast dealers).
detansinn (08-29-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 12:07 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

I did have to wait a very short time for an allocation for my CTT, I wanted to point out. But I have bought so many cars that I generally don't wait long enough to call it a wait. However, I have not bought a Porsche in the last four years, but my volume is strong. Focusing my purchasing with a single dealerships, and owner, has always made it easy for me to get cars. I do go to the owner for cars, BTW, and it rolls downhill from there. It helps.
tonie90 (08-29-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 12:15 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Tonie, I think you're right.

Coming from a Ferrari, the snobbery was incredible, and I sense it sneaking in here, and may be why some people don't like Porsche owners. I was at a gas station some years ago in my Ferrari when a SUV pulled up and a little boy jumped out and ran over to my car, peering into the driver's side. I hung up the gas gun and swung around asking him if he wanted to look inside. His eyes lite up and as he was getting in his dad came around and asked his son to get out. I said it was ok, I don't mind. His son crawled around and checked out the car, and then I took him for a short ride.

When I got back, he took some pics with his dad then his dad handed me his business card. He asked if I golfed, and I replied not very often. He offered me a free golf lesson and 18 holes. I read the name, didn't think anything of it. Went to my brother in-laws who is a scratch golfer and member of a few golf clubs, oil money. And he freaked out, the guy was on tour, he was a professional golfer. I remember him saying that he wishes more people that owned sports cars were like me. I also volunteered for a Ferrari run for kids with disabilities, I ripped two tires to shreds taking kids around the speedway.

It's a car people. Get over it.

Last edited by SilverSteel; 08-29-2023 at 12:16 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by SilverSteel:
Larson E. Rapp (08-31-2023), theclutch (09-01-2023), TK42ONE (09-02-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 01:10 AM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 754 Likes on 349 Posts

This is the most manic and craziest series of posts I have seen on Rennlist. Sounds familiar..like this old dude that's on the news all the time.
Tobeit (08-29-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 02:03 AM
Snareman
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Tonie, I think you're right.

Coming from a Ferrari, the snobbery was incredible, and I sense it sneaking in here, and may be why some people don't like Porsche owners. I was at a gas station some years ago in my Ferrari when a SUV pulled up and a little boy jumped out and ran over to my car, peering into the driver's side. I hung up the gas gun and swung around asking him if he wanted to look inside. His eyes lite up and as he was getting in his dad came around and asked his son to get out. I said it was ok, I don't mind. His son crawled around and checked out the car, and then I took him for a short ride.

When I got back, he took some pics with his dad then his dad handed me his business card. He asked if I golfed, and I replied not very often. He offered me a free golf lesson and 18 holes. I read the name, didn't think anything of it. Went to my brother in-laws who is a scratch golfer and member of a few golf clubs, oil money. And he freaked out, the guy was on tour, he was a professional golfer. I remember him saying that he wishes more people that owned sports cars were like me. I also volunteered for a Ferrari run for kids with disabilities, I ripped two tires to shreds taking kids around the speedway.

It's a car people. Get over it.
My friend just got a gently used Macan, coming from a Mercedes SUV. He said he had this Porsche shirt and hat and somewhat jokingly asked if there's anyway he could wear it and not look like a stereotypical Porsche douche. I laughed and told him I had the same issue with wearing some BMW stuff.

Last edited by Snareman; 08-29-2023 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-29-2023, 12:36 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,829 Likes on 954 Posts

I was driving my 992 C2S to work this morning and passed a nice looking quite new Cayenne Turbo S. Nice looking SUV, but never been a huge fan. There are some other SUVs out there that peak my interest first. The appeal of my C2S is I love driving the 911 platform.
grg1 (08-30-2023)

Quick Reply: 992 "Allocation" only now...wth