992 "Allocation" only now...wth

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2023, 06:43 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 927 Likes on 445 Posts

This thread is gold!

The following 6 users liked this post by Icegrill:
detansinn (08-28-2023), nyca (08-26-2023), The Pinkoboe (08-30-2023), tmslc (09-03-2023), usctrojanGT3 (08-28-2023), vasmir (08-26-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-25-2023, 06:44 PM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,408 Likes on 679 Posts

Don't get a 911 then. Not saying you are wrong in not wanting to pay an ADM, but that is the current situation and Porsche is not alone.
The following users liked this post:
doug_999 (09-01-2023)
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,005 Likes on 1,777 Posts

I'm not saying pay ADM. I'm sharing the reality of the current environment. Like I said, many are not paying ADM, me included. Now, discounts are another story. That won't happen.
Oswiff (08-25-2023)
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

I've made money on cars in the past, but one was speculation because the dealer (not Porsche) told me they'd buy it the moment it hit the US, and he did. Winning. The second one I kept. That said, I am not looking to make money on the car, that's not what it's for, obviously. I just don't want to get hosed walking in the door, because getting out of it is never pretty. I heard the dealer low balling a guy on his C4S today, stating the market was not as strong as is used to be etc. I was like, really? Which is it? It's just profit. So IMO, I'll order and buy at MSRP, no worries.

I have bought 19 cars from the dealership, so I have some pretty favorable leverage which I have successfully used before to acquire other cars for family etc. So I can pull it, just don't want to go in with an inaccurate perspective on the market. This helps. TY

Originally Posted by Staffie Guy
No I paid MSRP and jumped over folks ahead of me on the list because I had a very low mileage 2015 Corvette to trade. The dealer sold the car a week later for 8K more than he gave me.

The longer you wait, the more the price will go up. So getting a car in a few months and paying a premium will be around the same price as getting a car in several years and several 8% price increases. Plus you now have the car.
Old 08-25-2023, 06:46 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Wilder
I'm not saying pay ADM. I'm sharing the reality of the current environment. Like I said, many are not paying ADM, me included. Now, discounts are another story. That won't happen.
Yeah, funny how it works if you get a discount when they don't need to give it. Your car gets sold. Somehow. Got it. thx.
Old 08-25-2023, 08:24 PM
TeutonicCarFan
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts

Not just current, but as far back as 991 (circa 2012 based on when I'd talk to people at dealership) this is how it was. It may even have always been like this. Porsche dealers get allocated models from porsche NA, based on many factors, sales history, standing with pcna, recent capital improvements, brand development etc. So take 2016. Dealership would get allocation for carrera s. Unless there was an order ready, the dealership would spec. There is a significant lag between when order opens and locks. This gives time for the car to be spec. If no one wanted to put an order it would get built and be a lot car. What you had perceived in the past as walking in to order a car when you wanted was a combination of them having cars being built that were in the window to be changed, or them dealer trading. Obviously with demand being high , everyone walks in to order a car and there aren't any available. Not a negotiation tactic. They would sell 5X the cars if they were provided. Confounding things is porsche building most high line (GT cars, turbo S, GTS) as they have most the margin. Those are also what everyone wants. 🤷‍♂️
Old 08-25-2023, 08:36 PM
Motorin Mark
Racer

Received 424 Likes on 207 Posts

This sounds so dramatic, lol. First, this is still post Covid craziness correcting. ADMs are shrinking and many aren't charging them. Second, it's not just Porsche, so unless you want to switch to Honda...
Ha, it is even happening with Honda. My co-worker just shopped the entire state of Florida for a 23' Honda Civic Type "R", best price was $5K ADM, three hours away. Our local dealer was $15K ADM and would not match the other dealer on the same exact car and color. My co-worker took the drive a purchased the car. So as others have stated, its not just happening at Porsche.
The following 2 users liked this post by Motorin Mark:
Icegrill (08-25-2023), Wilder (08-25-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 08:39 PM
bwhale
Advanced

Received 121 Likes on 45 Posts

Second, it's not just Porsche, so unless you want to switch to Honda...
This might be non-consensus here, but I love most Hondas. And Toyotas. Each product they make is very well designed and constructed. All the Type-Rs are legendary and the manual Accord that they just killed off a year ago was one of the greatest sleeper daily drivers ever made. Any Toyota SUV will get you to Prudhoe Bay and back. The Odyssey and Sienna are the most criminally underrated people movers in North America.
The following 4 users liked this post by bwhale:
rasetsu (08-25-2023), SBAD (08-27-2023), SilverSteel (08-25-2023), txpackers (08-26-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 08:44 PM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Received 1,602 Likes on 911 Posts

PTS is now sold out for MY24. Unfortunately I know first hand.

Old 08-25-2023, 08:49 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

When I ordered a C2, S2, C2 Cab, I didn't wait a single day. I walked and did the deal, with some negotiation.

With the turbo, I had to wait for a slot, but it wasn't long, maybe a week. They traded for it. I did use my contact to make it happen though. So maybe that is what just has to happen now, go to the top.

Knowing the current market helps, as I have fallen down. And to the poster who said don't buy a Porsche, if I need your advice I'll ask for it, but know if above MSRP, I was clear, I won't buy one. It's not gray here, it's black or white, (well, any color but black, white or gray). PTSD.

So, what I plan to do is build an S, get a build code and run it up the pole. If I can get, beautiful. If not, no worries.

Honda and Toyota are great cars. But my gosh have those gone up I price. I bought my daughter a Mercedes SUV cheaper than I could have bought a Toyota SUV, I kid you not. And no, I didn't have to wait or do any bs associated with lists, lines or allocations. I walked in and slapped down the mula and left. Not a fan of getting a college kid a Mercedes, but WTH, cheaper than a Toyota. That's what's going on. Crazy.

Originally Posted by TeutonicCarFan
Not just current, but as far back as 991 (circa 2012 based on when I'd talk to people at dealership) this is how it was. It may even have always been like this. Porsche dealers get allocated models from porsche NA, based on many factors, sales history, standing with pcna, recent capital improvements, brand development etc. So take 2016. Dealership would get allocation for carrera s. Unless there was an order ready, the dealership would spec. There is a significant lag between when order opens and locks. This gives time for the car to be spec. If no one wanted to put an order it would get built and be a lot car. What you had perceived in the past as walking in to order a car when you wanted was a combination of them having cars being built that were in the window to be changed, or them dealer trading. Obviously with demand being high , everyone walks in to order a car and there aren't any available. Not a negotiation tactic. They would sell 5X the cars if they were provided. Confounding things is porsche building most high line (GT cars, turbo S, GTS) as they have most the margin. Those are also what everyone wants. 🤷‍♂️
Old 08-25-2023, 08:51 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bwhale
This might be non-consensus here, but I love most Hondas. And Toyotas. Each product they make is very well designed and constructed. All the Type-Rs are legendary and the manual Accord that they just killed off a year ago was one of the greatest sleeper daily drivers ever made. Any Toyota SUV will get you to Prudhoe Bay and back. The Odyssey and Sienna are the most criminally underrated people movers in North America.
They make great cars, but one is a mass produced appliance and the other a more scarce indulgence.
SilverSteel (08-25-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 08:54 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Man, "TUD"! What's a fella' to do? Well, so much for kicking *** and taking names. Maybe some kissing *** is in order. I'll let you know what happens. It will be my last 911 likely. So I want ED, PTS. Yeah, maybe asking too much, so if I step on a land mine along the way, no worries. Get what you want or move on. Life is simple.
Old 08-25-2023, 08:55 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TeutonicCarFan
Not just current, but as far back as 991 (circa 2012 based on when I'd talk to people at dealership) this is how it was.
Dealers couldn't give 991.2 T's away in 2017. They sat at dealers waiting for someone to make an offer. Today, you have to get in line to get a base. Covid changed everything. Thankfully, this year things have started reverting back to normal.
SilverSteel (08-25-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 08:57 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Every time I go to the dealer they want to buy my car. It is a 10. They don't get a lot of CTT's.
Old 08-25-2023, 09:02 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Why is it that COVID caused pricing to increase for everything? Tip jars everywhere. I am going to start wearing one around my neck. Stupid bs. Go to Europe, go anywhere, they don't exist, it's purely an American anomaly, like pick-up trucks. I can't even take my mom to Luby's, her favorite restaurant, without them asking for a tip. Wait a minute, I just helped myself. If you want to wait on me and I sit down, boom! Tips galore. Man, the minute I see a tip jar at Porsche, maybe not too far off, I'm just done.

COVID, cost me a friend, two board members, three colleagues around the US. Makes me sick when people say it's fake. Now you have to wait on a car. Because of COVID. Incredible. Sorry, I'm late today, COVID problems from three years ago.

Dealers couldn't give 991.2 T's away in 2017. They sat at dealers waiting for someone to make an offer. Today, you have to get in line to get a base. Covid changed everything. Thankfully, this year things have started reverting back to normal.

Quick Reply: 992 "Allocation" only now...wth