Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M-Engineering: PSE Valve Mod for 992 / 982

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2023, 11:47 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,062 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Not a jab at M Engineering, but let’s not forget that even If you only do a Stage 0 tune with PSE mod, you’ve now flashed your ecu. Your warranty is now based on your local dealer going to bat for you even if catastrophic failure is of no fault of the map.

Old 06-29-2023, 12:03 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by VarTheVar
I think the tricky part here is you get the full-on tuning suite, so they would have to develop a light version of it to sell it for cheaper. Or else anyone could get the stage 0 and then upload tunes to their car anyway
This is not possible. The tune files are VIN specific. You cannot take another car's tune file and upload it to your car because it will fail at the VIN verification process upfront.
The following users liked this post:
VarTheVar (06-29-2023)
Old 06-29-2023, 11:59 AM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,518 Likes on 545 Posts

Buy it nice, or buy it twice.

We have seen and heard of many issues with piggyback systems and valves are no different. The labor to install them can be unfriendly as well depending on what they do or what system they are intended to fool. At the end of the day, a piggyback is "tricking" the car's systems and spoofing sensors with incorrect voltage readings to gain a desired result. It's a crude and archaic way to get around factory systems.

-Charles@M

Old 06-29-2023, 12:21 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,062 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Originally Posted by M Engineering

We have seen and heard of many issues with piggyback systems and valves are no different. The labor to install them can be unfriendly as well depending on what they do or what system they are intended to fool. At the end of the day, a piggyback is "tricking" the car's systems and spoofing sensors with incorrect voltage readings to gain a desired result. It's a crude and archaic way to get around factory systems.

-Charles@M
As an owner of a MKIV Supra, the piggybacking of Apex’i AFC, HKS VCC/GCC, Greddy Boost cut controller era was a nightmare looking back at it now.
jlegelis (07-02-2023)
Old 06-30-2023, 02:01 AM
gtssss
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
I am one who has been considering this for the Stage 0 PSE mod. I don't particularly mind the cold start and never run in Normal mode, so the auto start/stop is a non issue. At that price for just a PSE valve adjustment for better sound, it does seem a bit pricey, with the saving grace that they do provide a major amount of support. And that price is less than physical exhaust upgrades (though I don't know if it matches them).

I did consider at one point the RaceChip GTS Black tune which is a piggyback for around $800 and you can control a bunch from an app. I don't know if that tune actually offered any exhaust control like Charles and M-Eng does, but ultimately I decided against it because I couldn't find much on their company, users who had any experience with it, and the Piggyback option was a dubious install and not as easy to take out for service.

All that said it would be great if M-Eng offered this Stage 0 PSE mod version of their tune, and limited buyers to only 1 or 2 variants (if they wanted one with PSE and a cold start removed and one without or something like that) as well as the stock flash of course for around $1000. I'm sure they would get more buyers AND many of those would eventually pay the difference to get the full tune or additional variants. I'm still on the fence.
I totally agree with you. I want the valve mod but $2k for that alone is not worth it. They should make a standalone non horsepower tuning mod for like $800 or so and I would buy it. Anything over $1k is too much as that is in downpipes territory and this is just a valve mod that makes the car louder from 1-4k rpm but not the whole range. I hope they offer a separate package. It can't be that expensive to code a valve mod. Maybe the Porsche dealership could do it. I heard Ferrari dealers were doing valve mods to their F8 tributos.
Old 06-30-2023, 03:22 AM
Tyrell's Prodigy
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 40 Posts

This is a nice alternative to have however its usefulness would really be increased if this feature could be switched by a vehicle button on the fly; just like Ecutek and Cobb do for the BMW and GTR platforms.
Old 06-30-2023, 04:22 PM
Nein Eleven
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

That's a variation of the "buy once, cry once" saying that I haven't heard before.

Does your valve mod work on non-PSE cars?
Old 07-02-2023, 03:03 AM
HappinessProcured
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by shrimp money
Not a jab at M Engineering, but let’s not forget that even If you only do a Stage 0 tune with PSE mod, you’ve now flashed your ecu. Your warranty is now based on your local dealer going to bat for you even if catastrophic failure is of no fault of the map.
I thought modifications could only void the warranty if they caused the particular failure.

Has anyone had warranty issues ever after flashing their ECU?
Old 07-02-2023, 01:48 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by HappinessProcured
I thought modifications could only void the warranty if they caused the particular failure.

Has anyone had warranty issues ever after flashing their ECU?
The Magnuson Moss Act does have some protection but it is very limited. It primarily prevents dealers and manufacturers from voiding warranties if aftermarket parts are used or if the repairs are performed at independent shops as long as the aftermarket parts do not change the operating parameters of the stock part. So we're talking about installing things like oil filters, brake pads, air filters, mufflers, etc.

If you install an ECU tune - even one that is only providing features like cold start delete, exhaust valve control, etc., that does actually change the stock operating parameters and they can potentially use that as an excuse to void the warranty.

They do need to show that the aftermarket part caused the failure, but manufacturers typically win on this issue because it's your word against theirs and they have experts and engineers to back up their position. They can simply deny or void your warranty and the burden is now on you to sue them. There is very little incentive for a lawyer to take your case b/c there is no money in it for them and they likely wouldn't handle it on contingency so you're paying on retainer an hourly rate... which basically means you still lose.

And yes, there was at least one person whose 992 engine blew up and he had to pay out of pocket b/c he had a tune and Porsche denied his warranty claim.

With all that said, I still think it's extremely safe to install a tune on any car as long as it is developed by a reputable and capable tuner (like M Engineering). I have tuned very single turbo charged car and most naturally aspirated cars I've ever owned since 1994 (almost 30 yrs) and not one car has blown up or come even close to doing so because I've always used reputable, well proven tunes - first with Jim Wolf Technology for my 300ZX TT and various other Nissans and Infinitis, then with Cobb for my N54 BMWs, then with BPM for my F80 M3 and now with M Engineering for my 992 S. All are top notch, well proven tuners with long track records of conservative tuning to ensure all stock safety features remain intact and the cars run exceptionally and reliably well.

There is always risk in tuning or even walking out the front door every day. I manage the risk in tuning by buying the best tunes, making sure I follow all the recommended upgrades, and keeping my cars well maintained and running conservative settings, i.e. I'm not turning up the boost far beyond reasonable and staying well within the parameters of the tune. I'm also listening for any sound of detonation and if I hear it, I immediately back off the throttle and get my car checked out.

Also a very important point that's a bit controversial but very logical - I tune my cars when they are relatively new (usually after break in or maybe 2K miles or so just to make sure any potential issues that may crop up on a new car are out of the way). I think tuning a newer car is best b/c you have fresh spark plugs, brakes, tires, charge pipes, fuel injectors, etc. and your car is running in perfect condition. This certainly prevents issues much more than waiting until the warranty expires before tuning. To me this wating till warranty expires logic makes zero sense because regardless of whether your engine blows up within or outside of warranty, you'd still pay to replace the engine out of pocket so the cost and risk are exactly the same with the only difference being you are enjoying your tune much longer and you are likely to run into less issues if you tune a newish car vs. tuning an old, out of warranty car.
The following 4 users liked this post by AlterZgo:
ap2danyo (05-07-2024), jlegelis (07-02-2023), vg247 (07-02-2023), Victory911 (07-02-2023)
Old 05-01-2024, 04:04 PM
nickatnite
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes! Shoot me a PM and I can get RL members set up with 5% off M-Tuner.

-Charles@M
Hey Charles - just trying to PM you to ask a few questions and see if you’re still giving members 5% off on a tune (for a 992 Carrera 4S). It’s saying I don’t have permission to PM you though 🧐 can you try to message me?
Old 05-01-2024, 04:26 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,518 Likes on 545 Posts

You don't have enough posts to send PM's yet. We offer 5% off to RL members for M-Tuner/M-Coder and PDK2.

Shoot us an email at info@m-engineering.us and we can get you squared away.

-Charles@M
vg247 (05-01-2024)

Quick Reply: M-Engineering: PSE Valve Mod for 992 / 982