Old 06-23-2023, 03:15 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,566 Likes on 567 Posts
Default M-Engineering: PSE Valve Mod for 992 / 982

Hello RL,

We recently were able to get some video and real world examples of our PSE Valve Mod in-action. This mod is available for any PSE equipped 992 Carrera, Turbo, or 982 4.0L.

For those not familiar, the factory PSE (Porsche Sport Exhaust), when activated via the exhaust valve button on the dash, or by putting your car into "Sport" or "Sport+", still only opens up your exhaust valves only part of the way, and the amount it is opened depends on a number of factors such as RPM and load. With M-Tuner, and the PSE valve mod activated, we are able to force the valves open 100% of the way. This gives you a louder exhaust and more power, without having to do any hardparts modifications. There is no additional charge for the PSE valve mod with the purchase of M-Tuner. This is our most popular modification available!

M-Engineering's Porsche M-Tuner for 992 Turbo / Turbo S

M-Engineering's Porsche M-Tuner for 992 Carrera Base / T / S / GTS

M-Engineering's Porsche M-Tuner for 718 4.0L

Youtube Short: https://youtube.com/shorts/kKwT6xxbYs0?feature=share

-Charles@M
The following 2 users liked this post by M Engineering:
AlterZgo (06-24-2023), vg247 (06-24-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 04:34 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,193 Likes on 2,069 Posts

I don't understand why this was never done as a standalone option. You could have tempted so many more people to get the full tune later on down the road for only $2k more.
Old 06-23-2023, 04:44 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

To get this mod added to the car requires a full ECU flash to be completed. This means using our software and custom code we worked hard to develop. We actually sell quite a bit of M-Tuners for this mod only utilizing a "Stage 0" map where no power is added. Adding the flash to your car only takes about 5 minutes and is fully reversible.

There are some other cheaper stand-alone controller options out there that can be hard-wired into the car instead if you don't want to flash your ECU.

-Charles@M
The following 3 users liked this post by M Engineering:
Jeahbladejeah (06-23-2023), Kram (06-26-2023), Victory911 (06-23-2023)
Old 06-24-2023, 01:05 AM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Ok... So with the PSE "on" it's now wide open... But how does it behave with it in "off"?
Old 06-24-2023, 08:22 AM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 786 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by Malakas
Ok... So with the PSE "on" it's now wide open... But how does it behave with it in "off"?
Factory button off programming.
The following users liked this post:
Malakas (06-24-2023)
Old 06-24-2023, 11:38 AM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Master Deep
Factory button off programming.
So that means under higher throttle loads it still opens just like stock "off". Just curious why Porsche stock "on" doesn't open the valves all the way, when there's clearly a power loss that way. I guess for civility.

​​​
Old 06-24-2023, 11:49 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,970 Likes on 798 Posts

So that means under higher throttle loads it still opens just like stock "off". Just curious why Porsche stock "on" doesn't open the valves all the way, when there's clearly a power loss that way. I guess for civility.

​​​
That's pretty much it, IMO. Some people on here complain that their car drones w/ valves open 100%. Personally, I have never noticed the drone and think the exhaust is still too tame and quiet w/ valves open 100%. But there are clearly Porsche customers who want their cars to be quiet even in sport and sport+ mode.

Originally Posted by shrimp money
I don't understand why this was never done as a standalone option. You could have tempted so many more people to get the full tune later on down the road for only $2k more.
I would never get a tune for features only but I would bet those who do choose other options in addition to exhaust valve open 100%. You can increase the stationary rev limiter, which is a must for manual cars if one wants to be able to launch it at higher than 3500 rpms, and you can also remove cold start which makes the car much quieter on start up. You can also log your car and clear codes, etc.
Old 06-25-2023, 01:39 AM
highedu
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

When we order the tune, are we able to leave the cold start feature on? Meaning, is there an option if we do not want to the car quiet on cold start?
Old 06-25-2023, 01:58 AM
svkarl
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by highedu
When we order the tune, are we able to leave the cold start feature on? Meaning, is there an option if we do not want to the car quiet on cold start?
Yes, they provided me several files in the almost two years I’ve had the tune; I’ve got one with cold start on, one with it off, and combinations with and without auto stop/start, and with the valves fully open. They have been probably the best aftermarket product support company I’ve ever worked with plus their tune is killer!
tourenwagen (06-26-2023)
Old 06-25-2023, 04:04 AM
itrocks4u
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 116 Posts

OP - Can you help me understand warranty concerns with Stage 0 tune that only adjusts auto start stop and PSE values?

In case of an issue, how does Porsche assess an ECU flash with no additional power versus one where a flash results in additional power?

Also, when you provide a flash, do you also provide a stock flash meaning, I can just revert back to stock fairly quickly?

Finally, if I have a flashed ECU, and subsequently revert it to stock before taking it in for service, is that something that is logged in vehicle history i.e. ECU versions etc. Can the dealership still identify that the vehicle had aftermarket flash that was reverted back to stock?
Old 06-25-2023, 04:22 PM
Chalk992911S
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by itrocks4u
OP - Can you help me understand warranty concerns with Stage 0 tune that only adjusts auto start stop and PSE values?

In case of an issue, how does Porsche assess an ECU flash with no additional power versus one where a flash results in additional power?

Also, when you provide a flash, do you also provide a stock flash meaning, I can just revert back to stock fairly quickly?

Finally, if I have a flashed ECU, and subsequently revert it to stock before taking it in for service, is that something that is logged in vehicle history i.e. ECU versions etc. Can the dealership still identify that the vehicle had aftermarket flash that was reverted back to stock?
Pretty sure that’s opening a can of worms question.
After reading for hours on their tune….On the short (someone can correct me if I’m wrong), M Eng. states Porsche dealers can’t see the tune when it’s removed. Counter arguments claim otherwise. Supposedly there haven’t been any issues with M Eng customers having any issues when the tune is removed before bringing the car into Porsche.
Old 06-25-2023, 05:09 PM
911Stiller
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 51 Posts

@M Engineering Hello Charles. I am interested in this option with the tune. I sent you a message. Thanks!
Old 06-26-2023, 12:32 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the feedback and comments everyone! Responses below.

"Off" is stock behavior.

Originally Posted by highedu
Sure thing, you can configure it however you wish.

Originally Posted by svkarl
Yes, they provided me several files in the almost two years I’ve had the tune; I’ve got one with cold start on, one with it off, and combinations with and without auto stop/start, and with the valves fully open. They have been probably the best aftermarket product support company I’ve ever worked with plus their tune is killer!
Thank you for the kind words!!!

Originally Posted by itrocks4u

Back to stock / Uninstall files are provided. When you go back to stock, the car is byte for byte flashed back to stock. The flash counter doesn't go up, and you'll have a verified CALID and CVN. I have yet to see a detected issue when going back to stock. At the end of the day, you are modifying your vehicle. Some dealers are mod friendly, some are not.

Originally Posted by Chalk992911S
Pretty sure that’s opening a can of worms question.
After reading for hours on their tune….On the short (someone can correct me if I’m wrong), M Eng. states Porsche dealers can’t see the tune when it’s removed. Counter arguments claim otherwise. Supposedly there haven’t been any issues with M Eng customers having any issues when the tune is removed before bringing the car into Porsche.
We have spent countless hours making it undetectable and the process as easy as possible. That being said, at the end of the day, you are modifying your vehicle. Some dealers are mod friendly and some are not.

-Charles@M
The following 4 users liked this post by M Engineering:
AlterZgo (06-26-2023), Chalk992911S (06-26-2023), Master Deep (06-26-2023), vg247 (06-27-2023)
Old 06-26-2023, 02:59 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,614 Likes on 819 Posts

Valves are stupid.

Mic dropped
Chalk992911S (06-26-2023)
Old 06-26-2023, 03:57 PM
Chalk992911S
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by M Engineering
Thanks for the feedback and comments everyone! Responses below.

"Off" is stock behavior.

Sure thing, you can configure it however you wish.

Thank you for the kind words!!!

Back to stock / Uninstall files are provided. When you go back to stock, the car is byte for byte flashed back to stock. The flash counter doesn't go up, and you'll have a verified CALID and CVN. I have yet to see a detected issue when going back to stock. At the end of the day, you are modifying your vehicle. Some dealers are mod friendly, some are not.

We have spent countless hours making it undetectable and the process as easy as possible. That being said, at the end of the day, you are modifying your vehicle. Some dealers are mod friendly and some are not.

-Charles@M
10-4! I’m on the “pro” tuning side :-)
I’d be running the M.E tune in my 992 911C2S right now if I could stay on track pushed hard for multiple 30/40 min sessions.

Quick Reply: M-Engineering: PSE Valve Mod for 992 / 982