Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M-Engineering: PSE Valve Mod for 992 / 982

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2023, 05:11 PM
Kram
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Considering moving forward with the tune instead of the standalone module now. Is there an available promo for rennlisters?
Old 06-26-2023, 06:06 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,518 Likes on 545 Posts

Yes! Shoot me a PM and I can get RL members set up with 5% off M-Tuner.

-Charles@M
The following 2 users liked this post by M Engineering:
Kram (06-27-2023), Stebbo (06-28-2023)
Old 06-27-2023, 01:03 AM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Based on this thread (ugh R-list), I asked M-engineering to update my tune with the PSE mod... a couple of hours later I had a new updated tune in my inbox. To echo what others have said - their service is stellar. The tune is also wicked and feels OEM smooth.
The following 3 users liked this post by Malakas:
AlterZgo (06-27-2023), Nein Eleven (06-28-2023), vg247 (06-27-2023)
Old 06-27-2023, 11:37 AM
Kram
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Went ahead and bought this! After my sour experience purchasing the cargraphic mod, I decided to pony up a few more bucks for extra features and from what I hear spectacular customer service, which is most important to me. Looking forward to this!
The following 2 users liked this post by Kram:
AlterZgo (06-27-2023), shrimp money (06-28-2023)
Old 06-27-2023, 03:00 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,518 Likes on 545 Posts

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I've had a number of y'all reach out via email to get free map updates and also a few new orders. Appreciate the support, it's a really fun mod.

M-Tuners are in-stock ready to ship.

-Charles@M

Old 06-28-2023, 02:30 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,801 Likes on 947 Posts

I am one who has been considering this for the Stage 0 PSE mod. I don't particularly mind the cold start and never run in Normal mode, so the auto start/stop is a non issue. At that price for just a PSE valve adjustment for better sound, it does seem a bit pricey, with the saving grace that they do provide a major amount of support. And that price is less than physical exhaust upgrades (though I don't know if it matches them).

I did consider at one point the RaceChip GTS Black tune which is a piggyback for around $800 and you can control a bunch from an app. I don't know if that tune actually offered any exhaust control like Charles and M-Eng does, but ultimately I decided against it because I couldn't find much on their company, users who had any experience with it, and the Piggyback option was a dubious install and not as easy to take out for service.

All that said it would be great if M-Eng offered this Stage 0 PSE mod version of their tune, and limited buyers to only 1 or 2 variants (if they wanted one with PSE and a cold start removed and one without or something like that) as well as the stock flash of course for around $1000. I'm sure they would get more buyers AND many of those would eventually pay the difference to get the full tune or additional variants. I'm still on the fence.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3rdpedal:
Chalk992911S (06-28-2023), gtssss (06-30-2023)
Old 06-28-2023, 02:56 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
I am one who has been considering this for the Stage 0 PSE mod. I don't particularly mind the cold start and never run in Normal mode, so the auto start/stop is a non issue. At that price for just a PSE valve adjustment for better sound, it does seem a bit pricey, with the saving grace that they do provide a major amount of support. And that price is less than physical exhaust upgrades (though I don't know if it matches them).

I did consider at one point the RaceChip GTS Black tune which is a piggyback for around $800 and you can control a bunch from an app. I don't know if that tune actually offered any exhaust control like Charles and M-Eng does, but ultimately I decided against it because I couldn't find much on their company, users who had any experience with it, and the Piggyback option was a dubious install and not as easy to take out for service.

All that said it would be great if M-Eng offered this Stage 0 PSE mod version of their tune, and limited buyers to only 1 or 2 variants (if they wanted one with PSE and a cold start removed and one without or something like that) as well as the stock flash of course for around $1000. I'm sure they would get more buyers AND many of those would eventually pay the difference to get the full tune or additional variants. I'm still on the fence.
^^^^^^This!
The following users liked this post:
Chalk992911S (06-28-2023)
Old 06-28-2023, 04:14 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 675 Likes on 314 Posts

I'm sorry if my reading comprehension is crap, but I did read the thread and I still have a question about the operation of the valves.

With the M-engineering reflash, are the valves open all the time or only whenever the sport exhaust button is activated? If it's open all the time then you would need to reflash it every time to have them go from always-open back to ECU control...?
Old 06-28-2023, 04:48 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VarTheVar
I'm sorry if my reading comprehension is crap, but I did read the thread and I still have a question about the operation of the valves.

With the M-engineering reflash, are the valves open all the time or only whenever the sport exhaust button is activated? If it's open all the time then you would need to reflash it every time to have them go from always-open back to ECU control...?
only with the PSE button on, or in Sport or Sport+ which turns on the PSE as part of it.
VarTheVar (06-28-2023)
Old 06-28-2023, 05:12 PM
itrocks4u
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts

+1
Chalk992911S (06-28-2023)
Old 06-28-2023, 06:26 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

only with the PSE button on, or in Sport or Sport+ which turns on the PSE as part of it.

So this is a bit different than the Cargraphic which allows you to switch between full open in Sport or Sport+ or stock open in those to selctions?
Tobeit (06-28-2023)
Old 06-28-2023, 07:59 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
So this is a bit different than the Cargraphic which allows you to switch between full open in Sport or Sport+ or stock open in those to selctions?
With M Engineering tune you can toggle exhaust switch in any mode to put you back to normal/non-sport exhaust valve programming. But if you want to go back to full stock exhaust valve operation you would have to upload the map with that configuration which takes less than 10 minutes.

If car is too loud, hitting exhaust toggle quiets it down right away in any mode.

If you are going to tune your car and/or you want cold start delete or higher stationary rev limit in addition to exhaust valve fully open, the M Engineering tune is a no-brainer. If you only want to screw around w/ your exhaust valves, and don't want to be cocerned about the very small chance of a warranty issue, then Cargraphic makes sense.
Tobeit (06-28-2023)
Old 06-28-2023, 09:17 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

So I had not heard of the Cargraphic unit and looked it up. Interesting. Sold through Flat 6 so obviously the reputation helps. Interestingly in watching their video the mention the M Engineering tune and that this unit does the exact same thing. Which of course it would since you are just talking about valves being fully open.

I watched the entire install video and listened to the sound at the end. Which is tough over video vs in person. Deeper. Seems to have a little drone. The M-Eng video was tougher I think to hear the effect. But that doesn’t really matter if they both produce the same sound.

M-Engineering Pros:
  • no piggyback
  • changes easily
  • operates with the sport/sport+ modes and PSE button
  • obviously a full tune so other features/advantages

M-Engineering Cons:
  • price if you only really want the exhaust
  • lose PSE variation unless you map back to normal.

Cargraphic Pros:
  • price
  • can turn on PSE or enable full valve open

Cargraphic Cons:
  • piggyback so you must install and if you are worried must take out to take to dealer
  • doesn’t activate w sport/sport+ or PSE button from what I could see.
  • must use homelink to activate? didn’t like those extra steps.

Even for a stage zero, not even considering other options like the cold start, start/stop, M Engineering is the cleaner easier solution but at over 3x the price for just the exhaust aspect is a tough sell. No criticism of Charles or their business model as they recover on their tuning development but I stand by comment that strategically priced at $1k for a stage 0 valve map, it would be highly desirable variant of their product and I think they would sell more.

Guess I’d be curious to hear from more owners who just did the stage 0 exhaust as to how the like. Even then I know how much these cars are I’m still one who weighs value.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3rdpedal:
Guzzgreg (06-30-2023), shrimp money (06-28-2023)
Old 06-28-2023, 11:24 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 675 Likes on 314 Posts

strategically priced at $1k for a stage 0 valve map, it would be highly desirable variant of their product and I think they would sell more.
I think the tricky part here is you get the full-on tuning suite, so they would have to develop a light version of it to sell it for cheaper. Or else anyone could get the stage 0 and then upload tunes to their car anyway
Old 06-28-2023, 11:37 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VarTheVar
I think the tricky part here is you get the full-on tuning suite, so they would have to develop a light version of it to sell it for cheaper. Or else anyone could get the stage 0 and then upload tunes to their car anyway
oh I thought they had to give you the maps. I didn’t realize you could set it up yourself with the software and not have to send them requests for setups. Then yes, they would need a “lite” version of their software.

Quick Reply: M-Engineering: PSE Valve Mod for 992 / 982