Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used 2022 992 4S PEC LA "track car" - yea or nay ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 07:41 AM
rdv
Instructor

Received 197 Likes on 98 Posts

Run fast, run far.
What others said is true. If you’ve ever run a DE event you will understand.
R
Old 06-12-2023, 09:10 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

Originally Posted by Go Bruins
That CPO car will have new tires, brakes, rotors (if needed), and fluids. And that car will have been inspected weekly (and perhaps daily) by expert mechanics who are employed by PNA in a racing garage, with the best diagnostic equipment. But sure, listen to everyone here who tells you to run for the hills. A 911 is meant to be driven and raced. This is not a Honda Accord rented for a year at Hertz.

I was at PEC-LA yesterday for the 75th anniversary celebration. It was a blast. We were allowed in the garage. And I happened to ask a 45 year-old mechanic who has been at Porsche for over 20 years this exact question. He said he'd have no problem having a PEC 911 in his garage. The cars are driven hard and to extremes, he said, but the PDK prevents any overrevs, and each car is meticulously maintained. "And where can you by a used 911 with less than 10,000 miles with brand new brakes, rotors, and tires?" he asked. He also said that if there were issues with the vehicle -- engine, transmission, suspension, etc -- they would have been discovered early on and corrected.

I'm not sure I'd rather have a babied 911 over one of the PEC track cars.
What flavor Kool-Aide were they serving at the 75th Anniverrsary event? (just curious)
The following 2 users liked this post by drcollie:
adrianp89 (06-12-2023), repcapale (06-12-2023)
Old 06-12-2023, 10:17 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,390 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by Go Bruins
That CPO car will have new tires, brakes, rotors (if needed), and fluids. And that car will have been inspected weekly (and perhaps daily) by expert mechanics who are employed by PNA in a racing garage, with the best diagnostic equipment. But sure, listen to everyone here who tells you to run for the hills. A 911 is meant to be driven and raced. This is not a Honda Accord rented for a year at Hertz.

I was at PEC-LA yesterday for the 75th anniversary celebration. It was a blast. We were allowed in the garage. And I happened to ask a 45 year-old mechanic who has been at Porsche for over 20 years this exact question. He said he'd have no problem having a PEC 911 in his garage. The cars are driven hard and to extremes, he said, but the PDK prevents any overrevs, and each car is meticulously maintained. "And where can you by a used 911 with less than 10,000 miles with brand new brakes, rotors, and tires?" he asked. He also said that if there were issues with the vehicle -- engine, transmission, suspension, etc -- they would have been discovered early on and corrected.

I'm not sure I'd rather have a babied 911 over one of the PEC track cars.
You were fed the party line-what else is he going to say?

Old 06-12-2023, 11:01 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,542 Likes on 5,065 Posts

The point isn't whether to buy or not buy a PECLA track car. That's an incomplete question.

The question is at what price one should buy a PECLA track car.

And as I said up above, at over MSRP, that is not the right price to buy a PECLA car.

I would definitely buy a PECLA car, at the right price, however.

And, in fact, that price might be even lower than most would figure.

A PECLA car will have been better maintained than most cars on the resell market. There's nothing wrong in and of itself with running a car hard, and I mean hard, as long as it was properly maintained and the price reflects the car's history.

Quick Reply: Used 2022 992 4S PEC LA "track car" - yea or nay ?