Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used 2022 992 4S PEC LA "track car" - yea or nay ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2023, 03:23 PM
highedu
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by droidfan
Hello all,

I have been proposed by my Porsche dealer a PEC LA (Porsche Experience Center from LA) "track car" like this:

2022 992 4S 5600mi with a a great set of option (MSRP around $156k) for about $162k.

Apart from the $6k over MSRP for such a used car, is there any red flag / advantages / disadvantages to buy a car which was tracked at a PEC ?

Thank you for your feedback !
I am being offered a similar car which was never titled (2022) but coming from LA. I am now wondering if it’s a PEC LA car….how do you find out if tracked and used by customers or just used by execs at Porsche NA?
Old 06-11-2023, 03:38 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,054 Likes on 5,250 Posts

Originally Posted by highedu
I am being offered a similar car which was never titled (2022) but coming from LA. I am now wondering if it’s a PEC LA car….how do you find out if tracked and used by customers or just used by execs at Porsche NA?
Ask the dealer.

It would be a felony for the dealer to lie, or not disclose it to you.

Even the most desperate sales person would not be that stupid, or reckless.
Old 06-11-2023, 03:49 PM
highedu
Advanced

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Ask the dealer.

It would be a felony for the dealer to lie, or not disclose it to you.

Even the most desperate sales person would not be that stupid, or reckless.
i just asked and he said he would try to find out. He said he will be able to find out if it’s a PEC car or not but what may be harder to determine is if it’s been used for marketing, track/customer experience, or executives.
Old 06-11-2023, 03:54 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,367 Likes on 1,533 Posts

Originally Posted by remington
I've done track days at Thermal using BMW M cars and I know how I treated them and it wasn't kindly..
HA! And I have flogged those same BMW's at Thermal as well. At least two to three break during the day and are wheeled off to their garage. And what we as participants do is NOTHING compared to what the BMW Instructors do to them, epecially that high speed drifting show they put on at the end of the day.
Old 06-11-2023, 04:00 PM
highedu
Advanced

Another interesting point. Car I am being offered has around 9k miles and being offered as certified. Can they offer a PECLA car as certified if it was used on track? And if they offer as certified but didn’t have to replace tires or brakes to get certification is that a clue that the vehicle was likely not used in track?
Old 06-11-2023, 04:07 PM
tna3
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by droidfan
Hello all,

I have been proposed by my Porsche dealer a PEC LA (Porsche Experience Center from LA) "track car" like this:

2022 992 4S 5600mi with a a great set of option (MSRP around $156k) for about $162k.

Apart from the $6k over MSRP for such a used car, is there any red flag / advantages / disadvantages to buy a car which was tracked at a PEC ?

Thank you for your feedback !
Can you imagine how many engine rev limit hits that car will read on a scan? I don’t think I could ever buy a PEC car no matter the price. It will hit resale as well as people can deduce these things from CarFax. The only way to consider would be a limited term lease with favorable numbers that ends way before the warranty runs out.
Old 06-11-2023, 04:14 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,367 Likes on 1,533 Posts

Porsche can do anything they want - Certified or not, its their property, their rules, their warranty.

A lot of you younger guys are caught up in the Porsche Kool-aide, reset your mind and think practically and rationally. They build a tough car just like McDonnell- Douglass makes tough F-18's. But every carrier landing is airframe stress, every Blue Angels performance as well and the airframe gets used up. And the more stress on a machine, the faster the failure rate. This can be an airframe or your unibody car (Porsche). A track environment generates far more stress than daily use on a public road. You won't even see it, but it will manifest not in in tires and brakes, but in strut tower metal stress, control arm bushings, CV joints, twisting of the body, wheel bearings and so on.....problem areas that may appear long after a CPO warranty is expired.

There is no way I would touch a school car. They are banged off berms, spun, overloaded, over-revved and get no TLC. Not worth it for problems down the road in my opinion. If the deal is good enough, and you want to make a track car out of one, maybe....but don't buy one assuming your CPO warranty is going to save the day for you.

Last edited by drcollie; 06-11-2023 at 04:52 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by drcollie:
Cokerrat (06-12-2023), Frank Abe (06-12-2023), gcurnew (06-11-2023), lawrence1 (06-30-2023), rdv (06-12-2023), Schwarz992C4S (06-11-2023), TimD (06-12-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-11-2023, 04:29 PM
highedu
Advanced

Originally Posted by drcollie
Porsche can do anything they want - Certified or not, its their property, their rules, their warranty.

A lot of you younger guys are caught up in the Porsche Kool-aide, reset your mind and think practically and rationally. They build a tough car just like McDonell- Douglass makes tough F-18's. But every carrier landing is airframe stress, every Blue Angels performance as well and the airframe gets used up. And the more stress on a machine, the faster the failure rate. This can be an airframe or your unibody car (Porsche). A track environment generates far more stress than daily use on a public road. You won't even see it, but it will manifest not in in tires and brakes, but in strut tower metal stress, control arm bushings, CV joints, twisting of the body, wheel bearings and so on.....problem areas that may appear long after a CPO warranty is expired.

There is no way I would touch a school car. They are banged off berms, spun, overloaded, over-revved and get no TLC. Not worth it for problems down the road in my opinion. If the deal is good enough, and you want to make a track car out of one, maybe....but don't buy one assuming your CPO warranty is goingto save the day for you.
agree, I just notified the sales person that I will pass on the PECLA certified carrera S (lava orange) they have. They said all they know is it’s from PECLA but not how it was used
Old 06-11-2023, 07:14 PM
radelow
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 49 Posts

Absolutely not.
The following users liked this post:
Schwarz992C4S (06-11-2023)
Old 06-11-2023, 08:51 PM
Druid1
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tna3
Can you imagine how many engine rev limit hits that car will read on a scan?
My favorite module at PEC LA is the acceleration straight. My first time using launch control in a 992 Turbo S. It's a quarter mile and I did it multiple times. The instructor said the engine was built to handle it.
Old 06-11-2023, 09:01 PM
911Castle
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 146 Posts

Lol. They know exactly how it was used.
Old 06-11-2023, 10:54 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Would you buy it, if it had a "Salvage" title? At the very least, it's the minimum hit I'd expect such a history to exact on the value of the car.
Old 06-11-2023, 11:17 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,334 Likes on 2,122 Posts

Originally Posted by tna3
Can you imagine how many engine rev limit hits that car will read on a scan?

If you’ve ever done a PEC experience, you’ve banged it off the rev limiter many times in the kick plate and drift circle modules.

Old 06-12-2023, 12:53 AM
Go Bruins
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 256 Posts

That CPO car will have new tires, brakes, rotors (if needed), and fluids. And that car will have been inspected weekly (and perhaps daily) by expert mechanics who are employed by PNA in a racing garage, with the best diagnostic equipment. But sure, listen to everyone here who tells you to run for the hills. A 911 is meant to be driven and raced. This is not a Honda Accord rented for a year at Hertz.

I was at PEC-LA yesterday for the 75th anniversary celebration. It was a blast. We were allowed in the garage. And I happened to ask a 45 year-old mechanic who has been at Porsche for over 20 years this exact question. He said he'd have no problem having a PEC 911 in his garage. The cars are driven hard and to extremes, he said, but the PDK prevents any overrevs, and each car is meticulously maintained. "And where can you by a used 911 with less than 10,000 miles with brand new brakes, rotors, and tires?" he asked. He also said that if there were issues with the vehicle -- engine, transmission, suspension, etc -- they would have been discovered early on and corrected.

I'm not sure I'd rather have a babied 911 over one of the PEC track cars.
Old 06-12-2023, 01:04 AM
aquanaut
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Go Bruins
That CPO car will have new tires, brakes, rotors (if needed), and fluids. And that car will have been inspected weekly (and perhaps daily) by expert mechanics who are employed by PNA in a racing garage, with the best diagnostic equipment. But sure, listen to everyone here who tells you to run for the hills. A 911 is meant to be driven and raced. This is not a Honda Accord rented for a year at Hertz.

I was at PEC-LA yesterday for the 75th anniversary celebration. It was a blast. We were allowed in the garage. And I happened to ask a 45 year-old mechanic who has been at Porsche for over 20 years this exact question. He said he'd have no problem having a PEC 911 in his garage. The cars are driven hard and to extremes, he said, but the PDK prevents any overrevs, and each car is meticulously maintained. "And where can you by a used 911 with less than 10,000 miles with brand new brakes, rotors, and tires?" he asked. He also said that if there were issues with the vehicle -- engine, transmission, suspension, etc -- they would have been discovered early on and corrected.

I'm not sure I'd rather have a babied 911 over one of the PEC track cars.
Your reference here is a car mechanic that is (likely) more capable to maintain this car than all of us in this thread combined.

The deal in question is OVER MSRP for a car that has been absolutely flogged. These cars are capable of a lot, but that’s an absolutely awful “deal.”

Quick Reply: Used 2022 992 4S PEC LA "track car" - yea or nay ?