Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 T Base Audio System Upgrade Topic

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2023, 11:56 PM
Als992
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I experimented with what you've said by fading 100% to the back and there was barely an audible sound and it was literally horrible. So as you mentioned, i I moved up to about 95% fader front biased and it was much improved. Still not great but much better than the 50-50 front to back ratio. I'm wondering if you can simply replace the back speakers or is it the feed to the speakers, who knows?
Old 09-26-2023, 08:55 AM
Barkat03
Burning Brakes

Received 1,754 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by Als992
I experimented with what you've said by fading 100% to the back and there was barely an audible sound and it was literally horrible. So as you mentioned, i I moved up to about 95% fader front biased and it was much improved. Still not great but much better than the 50-50 front to back ratio. I'm wondering if you can simply replace the back speakers or is it the feed to the speakers, who knows?
To quote the salesman from Focal (who make a limited edition bespoke speaker upgrade set for 992 911’s, the upgraded speakers aren’t worth the money if you don’t upgrade the amp as well.
The following users liked this post:
Als992 (09-26-2023)
Old 09-26-2023, 06:30 PM
Als992
Intermediate

Good point but i would love to have someone experiment with just the speakers (doesn't have to be Focal) and let me know! Haha. I realize newer systems are much more complex than 25 years ago, but there was a time when by simply replacing the speaker there was a huge difference.
Old 09-26-2023, 06:50 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 686 Likes on 208 Posts

any updates? I'd love to know if simply replacing the speakers with higher quality ones would give any significant difference. It used to work that way in 1992!
Originally Posted by mcacs1
I'd like to know as well.
Definitely not in this system. I experimented with this a lot over the last couple of weeks, and changing the speakers is actually a detriment more than an improvement.

With the sever lack of power this system has, if you put in an upgraded speaker(which will likely have a lower efficiency) you are going to run into distortion much faster. Your only improvements(if any) are going to be at very low volume.

Originally Posted by Barkat03
To quote the salesman from Focal (who make a limited edition bespoke speaker upgrade set for 992 911’s, the upgraded speakers aren’t worth the money if you don’t upgrade the amp as well.
I think you could get away with it in the BOSE system, which is what I'm told the Focal's were designed for. That said, a $7k speaker-only upgrade is a poor investment in my opinion. You could fix the speakers, power and processing for that price and get a much better result.

Good point but i would love to have someone experiment with just the speakers (doesn't have to be Focal) and let me know! Haha. I realize newer systems are much more complex than 25 years ago, but there was a time when by simply replacing the speaker there was a huge difference.
If you take a look at this post: Sound Package Plus Demystified | Why the 992 Base Stereo Sucks

It outlines why the speaker-only upgrade path doesn't work in this scenario. Too many other handicaps that are holding us back from getting better sound.
The following 2 users liked this post by 12v Nick:
Als992 (09-28-2023), arrivederci (09-27-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 01:15 AM
Barkat03
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
Definitely not in this system. I experimented with this a lot over the last couple of weeks, and changing the speakers is actually a detriment more than an improvement.

With the sever lack of power this system has, if you put in an upgraded speaker(which will likely have a lower efficiency) you are going to run into distortion much faster. Your only improvements(if any) are going to be at very low volume.

I think you could get away with it in the BOSE system, which is what I'm told the Focal's were designed for. That said, a $7k speaker-only upgrade is a poor investment in my opinion. You could fix the speakers, power and processing for that price and get a much better result.

If you take a look at this post: Sound Package Plus Demystified | Why the 992 Base Stereo Sucks

It outlines why the speaker-only upgrade path doesn't work in this scenario. Too many other handicaps that are holding us back from getting better sound.
@12v Nick Thanks for sharing that really comprehensive review of the base stereo!
The only conclusión I can come to for why Porsche persists with such a poor quality stereo (they obv know about the criticism), is because they’ve factored into the equation the additional profit when you upgrade.
It seems min 60-70% of customers do upgrade.
What I don’t understand is why they don’t just put Bose in every car they make and charge extra, something which I believe they already do in some territories!
Scott P (10-06-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 04:17 PM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,214 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by 12v Nick

Thanks for all your work on this Nick -- very similar to what my local pro thought was going on yet more hands on to confirm it. It sounds like a high quality DSP amp (Audison?) with proper tuning could go a long way to improving the sound quality and opens the door to upgrades with speakers, etc. Hopefully you are able to put together a kit and sell a bunch of these upgrades - the demand is huge!
The following 2 users liked this post by arrivederci:
Als992 (09-27-2023), merrion13 (09-28-2023)
Old 09-28-2023, 12:38 AM
Als992
Intermediate

thanks for all your work on this Nick. Keep plugging away and keep us informed!
Old 10-06-2023, 01:02 PM
pbcsd
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Macboy
Here a small update.
What thread is this from as the quote doesn’t reference the original post?
Old 10-06-2023, 01:40 PM
Radiationman
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by pbcsd
What thread is this from as the quote doesn’t reference the original post?
If that's the post I think it is- the person who provided that update only interacts with Rennlist in the Carrera T Owner's club thread, and has refused several requests to participate in this thread. There was also some unnecessary drama around sharing what was done as part of the upgrade - initially the OP wasn't willing to share what they did, just that they did something.

Either way, good luck finding the original post in the Carrera T Owner's thread - odds are they post was several hundred pages back from where the thread is today...
Old 10-06-2023, 01:47 PM
pbcsd
Racer

Originally Posted by Radiationman
If that's the post I think it is- the person who provided that update only interacts with Rennlist in the Carrera T Owner's club thread, and has refused several requests to participate in this thread. There was also some unnecessary drama around sharing what was done as part of the upgrade - initially the OP wasn't willing to share what they did, just that they did something.

Either way, good luck finding the original post in the Carrera T Owner's thread - odds are they post was several hundred pages back from where the thread is today...
Thx!

Last edited by pbcsd; 10-06-2023 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-06-2023, 02:05 PM
Barkat03
Burning Brakes

I think the guy you're referring to is @ECNJ .
I believe if you private message him he'll supply details of what he had installed.
Old 11-10-2023, 11:15 AM
Macboy
Burning Brakes

Received 3,301 Likes on 733 Posts

Finally my car has been updated with the new soundsystem. And I am very happy with how it all turned out. Original speakers are used so we could keep the costs reasonably low. Went for the Mosconi D2 80.6 DSP amplifier who is directing the rear speakers as well. Connected to the Boxmore SBE S8 BR-A.1 active subwoofer.

Original Porsche parts have been ordered and used. So you cannot see anything when removed again. The amplifier is hidden. No holes drilled anywhere. Got the lever/switch in the dash for the bass volume. The subwoofer is in the back held on with straps attached to the bagage hooks/rings. Thinking of switching to red straps. Can send more pictures upon request.

The sound is amazing. They enhanced everything with their software of course. The bass is just unbelievable. Way better than the Bose system. The speakers of course can be upgraded as well but for me personally definitely not necessary. It was all about not spending too much money, at least not much more than the Bose option. Very satisfied!

Last edited by Macboy; 11-10-2023 at 11:17 AM.
VarTheVar (11-10-2023)
Old 11-10-2023, 11:59 AM
pbcsd
Racer

Finally my car has been updated with the new soundsystem. And I am very happy with how it all turned out. Original speakers are used so we could keep the costs reasonably low. Went for the Mosconi D2 80.6 DSP amplifier who is directing the rear speakers as well. Connected to the Boxmore SBE S8 BR-A.1 active subwoofer.

Original Porsche parts have been ordered and used. So you cannot see anything when removed again. The amplifier is hidden. No holes drilled anywhere. Got the lever/switch in the dash for the bass volume. The subwoofer is in the back held on with straps attached to the bagage hooks/rings. Thinking of switching to red straps. Can send more pictures upon request.

The sound is amazing. They enhanced everything with their software of course. The bass is just unbelievable. Way better than the Bose system. The speakers of course can be upgraded as well but for me personally definitely not necessary. It was all about not spending too much money, at least not much more than the Bose option. Very satisfied!

Sounds great! Did you do this yourself or have an installer?

Curious about a few things if you don't mind!

- The amp is a 6 channel amp, didn't you use 3 channels for each front door and if so, how did you connect the rear doors?
- On the subwoofer, where did you locate power, and did you use a Line converter to get the signal presumably from the main woofers in the front doors? Would love more detail on how they did that!

Old 11-10-2023, 01:55 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 768 Likes on 355 Posts

Can you provide some detail on the harness solution? Did you have to cut into the factory harness? Where is the amplifier hidden? Are you paranoid at all about that sub hitting the rear window?
Old 11-10-2023, 06:28 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 930 Likes on 489 Posts

I know the rear speakers are capable of much better sound because mine sounded 100% better before the reflash of the pcm. In fact, it was the first thing I noticed when I got in the car and I didn’t even know it was something that was going to be done.

Quick Reply: 992 T Base Audio System Upgrade Topic