992 T Base Audio System Upgrade Topic

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2023, 11:00 AM
6172crew
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Barkat03
Spoiler

Once you’ve had the Audison amp installed for a couple of days I’d be curious to hear your opinion of it
and whether or not you think it’s enough of an improvement on its own.
I suspect not! I think you’ll probably have to install a sub and probably upgrade the speakers too?!
That Audison amp is a good choice, gets really good reviews.
Where will you hide it, under the passenger seat?
Id like to know as well. Seems like a better way to upgrade.
Old 07-29-2023, 12:04 PM
Macboy
Burning Brakes

Received 3,301 Likes on 733 Posts

Love all the action here. My Audio guy is still on vacation but will bring an update here soon I hope. He has a small surprise for me. So can’t wait to hear it out.

Originally Posted by tarheeljim
For what it’s worth, an incredible outcome for me. The sub box takes up the space behind the rear seats, so if you know the car you’d know it’s there.
Thanks for your contribution to the thread. Much appreciated. Can’t wait to see some pictures of what you did behind the seats!
Old 07-30-2023, 02:38 PM
GauchoDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 23 Posts

Not speaker related but audio related. Just picked up my T and I am having issues with Apple Music connected via CarPlay and Sirius XM both dropping audio for a half second or so.

I thought it was Bluetooth for CarPlay but experienced the same thing with satellite radio.

anyone else have this issue?
The following users liked this post:
jezzaa (05-08-2024)
Old 07-30-2023, 04:20 PM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,214 Likes on 430 Posts

Someone on the T thread posted about downloading an EQ app for their iPhone and that helping them fill out the mid-bass which is horribly lacking on the base system. I tried that earlier within Spotify (there's a built in 6 band EQ) and did find a slight improvement. So that might work for some of you - an app or another way to adjust the sound from your source. But we should be able to get so much better sound out of 8 speakers for a reasonably small interior.
Old 07-30-2023, 04:57 PM
Barkat03
Burning Brakes

Received 1,754 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by arrivederci
Someone on the T thread posted about downloading an EQ app for their iPhone and that helping them fill out the mid-bass which is horribly lacking on the base system. I tried that earlier within Spotify (there's a built in 6 band EQ) and did find a slight improvement. So that might work for some of you - an app or another way to adjust the sound from your source. But we should be able to get so much better sound out of 8 speakers for a reasonably small interior.
Yep!!
Old 07-30-2023, 09:40 PM
6172crew
Rennlist Member

I’m running a craptastic Bose system in one of my other cars. I added a pioneer DSP that has a small 50 watt amp and has an app that tuned the stereo using my phone. It’s hard to explain but the file it uses to listen on a microphone is like a chirping bird or something and it then adjusts the settings. Truthfully it was amazing but it did add some power and gave me an idea of what Pioneer thinks sounds good and I went from there. The DSP itself should probably be installed by a stereo shop but I found a place that made a Y type adapter so it was plug and play other than power and ground. The other member who is looking at the higher end dsp and amp is probably on to something if they can wire it up nicely. If the stock speakers are garbage then the option for better is in play with the extra power. Sad that Porsche dropped the Bose and added $7000 for the trouble but I’m all about trying to find an affordable solution.
Old 08-09-2023, 12:23 AM
Als992
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

any updates? I'd love to know if simply replacing the speakers with higher quality ones would give any significant difference. It used to work that way in 1992!
The following 2 users liked this post by Als992:
jam996 (08-09-2023), merrion13 (08-21-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 10:10 AM
mcacs1
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Als992
any updates? I'd love to know if simply replacing the speakers with higher quality ones would give any significant difference. It used to work that way in 1992!
I'd like to know as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by mcacs1:
Als992 (08-09-2023), jam996 (08-09-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 12:54 PM
tarheeljim
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry. Been busy with other topics and didn’t respond to the message earlier.

First, still thrilled with my outcome. There were a couple things I wanted tweaked and it was a simple as my installer plugging in his laptop to the USB they installed for interfacing with the amp. So cool.

I’m attaching four pictures. The first two are of the sub box behind my rear seats. The sub is upfiring and there is a cover so that if you look in the back window you don’t see any logos. My windows have a tint, so you really can’t see anything period, but I didn’t want a prominent JL Audio logo.

The second two pictures are of the foam piece that gets removed under the passenger floor if you install your amp in that location. If you have the Bose or Burmester there is an amp already in that location. My installer built the container for the amp to sit there under the floor without any indentation.

Happy to answer any questions.
The following 3 users liked this post by tarheeljim:
Als992 (08-21-2023), AlterZgo (08-27-2023), HerrDr (08-21-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 01:03 PM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,214 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by tarheeljim
Sorry. Been busy with other topics and didn’t respond to the message earlier.

First, still thrilled with my outcome. There were a couple things I wanted tweaked and it was a simple as my installer plugging in his laptop to the USB they installed for interfacing with the amp. So cool.

I’m attaching four pictures. The first two are of the sub box behind my rear seats. The sub is upfiring and there is a cover so that if you look in the back window you don’t see any logos. My windows have a tint, so you really can’t see anything period, but I didn’t want a prominent JL Audio logo.

The second two pictures are of the foam piece that gets removed under the passenger floor if you install your amp in that location. If you have the Bose or Burmester there is an amp already in that location. My installer built the container for the amp to sit there under the floor without any indentation.

Happy to answer any questions.
Thanks for the update. Any idea if there is a similar foam insert under the drivers seat? If that's the case, it would be huge as it might open up the option to do a DSP amp under one seat and slim/pancake sub under the other seat.
Old 08-21-2023, 04:04 PM
tarheeljim
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts

The area is not under the seat, it’s under the footwell.
arrivederci (08-21-2023)
Old 08-27-2023, 01:43 AM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 768 Likes on 355 Posts

I know this is not an upgrade related post, but I just wanted to share something that I found with the base stereo. There are multiple layers of horrible acoustics. The shrill tweeters being a main culprit but unfortunately you can't turn them down without ruining the tone completely. Another one was a surprise to me. The rear speakers add a muffled midrange tone that's downright disorienting. I found this out by moving the the balance all the way to the rear and immediately decided that it was adding a horrible dynamic to the sound. It also seems out of timing with the rest of the system. So I basically moved the balance all the way forward and it sounds better to my ear. I know it's a bad compromise but that's what this system is
The following 6 users liked this post by VarTheVar:
6172crew (08-27-2023), Als992 (09-09-2023), Barkat03 (08-27-2023), Honza (08-27-2023), IPA1 (08-31-2023), tourenwagen (09-26-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-27-2023, 09:02 AM
6172crew
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VarTheVar
I know this is not an upgrade related post, but I just wanted to share something that I found with the base stereo. There are multiple layers of horrible acoustics. The shrill tweeters being a main culprit but unfortunately you can't turn them down without ruining the tone completely. Another one was a surprise to me. The rear speakers add a muffled midrange tone that's downright disorienting. I found this out by moving the the balance all the way to the rear and immediately decided that it was adding a horrible dynamic to the sound. It also seems out of timing with the rest of the system. So I basically moved the balance all the way forward and it sounds better to my ear. I know it's a bad compromise but that's what this system is
I heard one owner used the EQ on his phone to make things a little better. I’m not an audiophile guy but it sounds (no pun) like Porsche added a filter to the rear speaker so only certain frequencies make it through. I wonder if the filter can be removed or if it’s built into the head unit or amplifier. The shrill sound is probably the same issue. I ordered the base stereo so I’ll be able to play around next year.
Old 08-27-2023, 05:02 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 768 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by 6172crew
I heard one owner used the EQ on his phone to make things a little better. I’m not an audiophile guy but it sounds (no pun) like Porsche added a filter to the rear speaker so only certain frequencies make it through. I wonder if the filter can be removed or if it’s built into the head unit or amplifier. The shrill sound is probably the same issue. I ordered the base stereo so I’ll be able to play around next year.

I messed around with the EQ in the spotify app. Slight improvement
arrivederci (08-27-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 09:41 PM
mcacs1
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by VarTheVar
I messed around with the EQ in the spotify app. Slight improvement
i use this equalizer setting in Youtube Music along with car bass setting at +9 and treble at -7. It works pretty well to my ears. The sound is not unpleasant at all...

6172crew (08-28-2023)

Quick Reply: 992 T Base Audio System Upgrade Topic