Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of info on 992.2 and future in CAR magazine

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2023, 05:29 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 901 Likes on 503 Posts

I don't see how the electric assist can "replace" the turbos, because the batteries aren't charged all the time to allow them to operate - especially if the pack is small to save weight/space. The displacement increase isn't going to make up for that, you'll end up with a car that's slower most of the time, until the pack charges and you can get a time period of meaningful assist out of the electric motors.
Old 06-22-2023, 05:36 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,070 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
I don't see how the electric assist can "replace" the turbos, because the batteries aren't charged all the time to allow them to operate - especially if the pack is small to save weight/space. The displacement increase isn't going to make up for that, you'll end up with a car that's slower most of the time, until the pack charges and you can get a time period of meaningful assist out of the electric motors.
Good point and as someone who works in the consumer goods space, having small batteries that charge/discharge quickly can be very tricky and have a serious impact on battery longevity (not to mention temperature variances).

I really don't think 911 owners want to be replacing batteries every 5 years, especially when even these small, custom battery packs are $10k. Heck, the Lithium Ion battery in the 992 is an obscene $2,500. I'm glad I have a 992.1 on the way... Lithium Ion battery equipped and all.
Old 06-22-2023, 05:56 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by Schn3ll
I really don't think 911 owners want to be replacing batteries every 5 years….l.
That’s nonsense.

Look at any hybrid….the batteries are guaranteed for at least 10 years…with the extreme being many taxi cab drivers, who use hybrids, have 200k-300k on their original battery.

Point being - battery capacity does degrade over time/mileage, but it’s not a precipitous drop off.
Old 06-22-2023, 06:01 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,070 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
That’s nonsense.

Look at any hybrid….the batteries are guaranteed for at least 10 years…with the extreme being many taxi cab drivers, who use hybrids, have 200k-300k on their original battery.

Point being - battery capacity does degrade over time/mileage, but it’s not a precipitous drop off.
Those cars have larger packs than is being rumored for the 992.2. Smaller packs mean more charge/discharges = more degradation. I'm not saying it will happen, we have no idea what Porsche has planned. But that's one reason I stayed far away from the new Benz C63 very small battery with quick discharge/charge.
Old 06-22-2023, 06:05 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Schn3ll
Those cars have larger packs than is being rumored for the 992.2. Smaller packs mean more charge/discharges = more degradation. I'm not saying it will happen, we have no idea what Porsche has planned. But that's one reason I stayed far away from the new Benz C63 very small battery with quick discharge/charge.

It won;’t happen. 100% sure.

I have many “small” lithium batteries i use for various things…from lawn equipment to electronics…and all still going strong after 4-5 year of regular use.

The key to prolonging any battery is the charging cycle…ie, don’t deplete to 0%….which no modern hybrid does.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-22-2023 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-23-2023, 01:03 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

What?

Mild hybrid systems in BMW would work just fine in the 992.2.
Old 06-23-2023, 09:58 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

There are two types of hybrid cars. One is non-plug-in, which have smaller batteries and smaller electric motors, and traditionally, provide no electrical assist to the gas engine at speeds much over 30 mph. Then there are plug-in hybrids, that have bigger batteries and bigger electric motors that can run for moderate distances, under all electric propulsion, at highway speeds.

The non-plug-in hybrids are recharged solely from the gas engine and regeneration from the brakes. The battery is never depleted to 0%, but automatically calls to be re-charged, from the engine, when the SOC reaches 10-20%.

Both forms of hybrids can help with the initial acceleration from the start, although with the bigger battery and bigger electric motors, the plug-in version will provide more electrical assistance, for higher speeds and longer duration, to the gas engine.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-23-2023 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-23-2023, 12:03 PM
KM20Turbo
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 45 Posts

Do Porsche follow a timeline for when they unveil real info on the next generation ? So far we’re mostly getting opinions based on “leaked” photos and videos which seems to be regurgitated from one source to the next.
Old 06-23-2023, 12:06 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 901 Likes on 503 Posts

The BMW X5 PHEV weighs 5,672 pounds, not to compare to a 911 but just as an example as to the amount of weight these hybrid systems can add. And forget about regen brakes, those add a lot of weight, I believe previous threads on this topic indicated the the 911 hybrid will not include regen brakes - too heavy. Plug-in is also too heavy, and no one wants to plug their 911 in anyway.
Old 06-23-2023, 12:35 PM
A Nonce
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by tna3
Not too long ago, Porsche was hoping that an increase in displacement from 3.0 to 3.4 litres would more than compensate for all the mandatory pending clean-air actions,

But it now seems 3.6 litres is a safer bet.

Dubbed 9A3 Evo, the new mainstay powerplant is expected to develop 40obhp and 347lb ft in the two- and four-wheel-drive Carreras (up from 38obhp and 332lb ft), 454bhp and 406lb ft in the best-selling Carrera S cars (up from 444bhp and 39ilb ft), and circa 483bhp and 413lb ft in the Carrera GTSs (up from 473bhp, but with peak torque down from 420lb ft).

Currently rated at 503bhp and 518bhp, we expect the output of the more thoroughly de-smogged GT3 units to increase only very slightly to around 508bhp for the GT/touring and 520-525bhp for the GT3 RS. Last but not least, there are the Turbo and the Turbo S, both of which should feature the latest 9A3 flat-six engine. The Weissach grapevine is suggesting 612bhp and 583lb ft for the Turbo (up from 572bhp and 553lb ft) and 68obhp and 5981b ft (up from 64Ibhp and 590lb ft) for the hard-charging S....
I guess the 992. dashboard leaks of the 992.2 Carrera with the red-line being lowered to 6,800 RPM look to be true?

Disappointing but I am confident Porsche will still make that engine exciting. Perhaps more intake sound?
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2023, 09:19 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
There are two types of hybrid cars. One is non-plug-in, which have smaller batteries and smaller electric motors, and traditionally, provide no electrical assist to the gas engine at speeds much over 30 mph. Then there are plug-in hybrids, that have bigger batteries and bigger electric motors that can run for moderate distances, under all electric propulsion, at highway speeds.

The non-plug-in hybrids are recharged solely from the gas engine and regeneration from the brakes. The battery is never depleted to 0%, but automatically calls to be re-charged, from the engine, when the SOC reaches 10-20%.

Both forms of hybrids can help with the initial acceleration from the start, although with the bigger battery and bigger electric motors, the plug-in version will provide more electrical assistance, for higher speeds and longer duration, to the gas engine.
But neither of these types of hybrids will likely be in the Carrera range.

They will most likely be 'mild-hybrids' with an even smaller battery and no electric motors at all. A starter/generator in the PDK would handle smooth start/stop and provide supplemental torque off the line until a single turbo is making boost.
Old 06-23-2023, 10:02 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
But neither of these types of hybrids will likely be in the Carrera range.

They will most likely be 'mild-hybrids' with an even smaller battery and no electric motors at all. A starter/generator in the PDK would handle smooth start/stop and provide supplemental torque off the line until a single turbo is making boost.
cool. So minimal weight gain. Could be a win-win?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-23-2023 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-23-2023, 11:33 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

^ IMO it is with MB’s implementation of the system. Eliminates accessory drives and belts as well.

But we’ll see what Porsche does. They typically lead, not follow…
Old 06-28-2023, 06:11 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by tna3
................. and circa 483bhp and 413lb ft in the Carrera GTSs (up from 473bhp, but with peak torque down from 420lb ft).
Surprised no one has caught this; or, I may have missed an explanation. If the reporting is correct, the torque of GTS will be lower than .1's, while all other sub-models' #s are up. Could this indicate GTS is getting NA? What else could explain the lower difference? NA would be pretty awesome, to me, though I suspect most would rather have turbo or hybrid.
Old 06-28-2023, 06:21 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

no one wants to plug their 911 in anyway.

Hah! I plug mine in to a better tender any time I am not going to drive it for more than a couple of days.

Quick Reply: Lots of info on 992.2 and future in CAR magazine