Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Walked in - got a Targa GTS allocation, now need your help finalising...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2023, 01:06 PM
WhiskyGuy
Track Day

Received 71 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Walked in - got a Targa GTS allocation, now need your help finalising...

Hey first post here, but long time lurker/reader! I've been looking at my dream 911 for a couple of months and given the long waiting times decided to take my time figuring out what is my perfect configuration. I've been keen on the Targa, but have never driven one so arranged a test drive yesterday with one of my local Porsche centres. Drive went well, lots of fun with the top down and reminded me of an old MK1 MR2 I used to own (but better of course) Lots of retro vibes and decided then and there the Targa was the direction to go in. Sales guy then happens to drop into conversation that if I wanted the Targa GTS they had a cancelled order and if I could decide in a day I'd also get MY2023 pricing!! Crazy. This is my first Porsche so no history here at all. Anyway putting aside my lucky day I now need to firm up my configuration in the next 24 hours...

I've got down to either Carrera White Metallic or Carmine Red. The white is nostalgic for that old MR2 and red is my favourite colour and looks fantastic. I live in the UK so some consideration needs to be given to the weather and condition of the roads. I'm a big fan of the two tone colour/black combo, but don't want to go too far down the race/boy racer vibe.

Here's the two configs I have at present:

Carrera White: PRSD7180
Carmine Red: PR6PE487

I don't mind the GTS interior in Black/Crayon for the white option, but the Black/Red isn't great for me. I think if I go red I'd move to a black leather interior with either red or crayon stitching. The other option is to go down a Ferrari route with the Black/Mojave Beige interior. It will look great in summer I'm sure, but perhaps its a bit OTT and won't wear so well.

Would love to hear options from anyone with similar cars. I know its down to personal opinion, but it's sensible to also have an eye on resale value as well.

Thanks
Old 04-25-2023, 02:42 PM
TheGeneral
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 113 Posts

Carmine Red is my vote. Had to use Guards Red for stitching and dials because I wanted ventilated seats and 930 leather and Carmine isn’t an option. Also wanted high gloss packages…
The following 4 users liked this post by TheGeneral:
AlterZgo (04-25-2023), dhirm5 (04-25-2023), jesm (04-25-2023), WhiskyGuy (04-25-2023)
Old 04-25-2023, 02:46 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 903 Likes on 504 Posts

I really don't understand how the allocation process is working at some dealers - shouldn't a cancelled order bump everyone on the waiting list up one slot? As opposed to being sold to some new person who just happens to walk into the dealer at that moment?
Old 04-25-2023, 02:53 PM
TheGeneral
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 113 Posts

You would think but maybe nobody at this dealer was on the list for a GTS Targa (hard to believe I know). I’m sure it depends on location too…..
Old 04-25-2023, 03:33 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,266 Likes on 638 Posts

my vote is for carmine...
Old 04-25-2023, 03:48 PM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

Received 1,007 Likes on 466 Posts

Cool that Carrara white metallic is still available for the GTS. didn't realize that. Honestly, you can go wrong with either of those colors. two of my faves.
Old 04-25-2023, 03:57 PM
CZS
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 99 Posts

Another vote for Carmine
Old 04-25-2023, 03:57 PM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Received 738 Likes on 356 Posts

My 991.2 was Carmine and now my 992 GTS is Guards. I love Red (obviously) but I would choose that over the white. The Guards over Carmine interior/exterior should work fine. My GTS has the Carmine interior and only a very trained eye would know.
Old 04-25-2023, 04:12 PM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 346 Posts

I vote Carmine Red as well; it's very visually stunning IMO. Good luck.
Old 04-25-2023, 04:21 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 264 Posts

Congratulations!

Color is so personal but either option will look great and be fine for resale down the road…although I wouldnt be too concerned about resale.

Sometimes it’s helpful to look at samples which your dealer will have to match together.

My vote would be for CWM with black/chalk interior.
Old 04-25-2023, 04:34 PM
porsche.earth
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by The911Don
Cool that Carrara white metallic is still available for the GTS.
its not, according to configurator
Old 04-25-2023, 04:34 PM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 631 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
I really don't understand how the allocation process is working at some dealers - shouldn't a cancelled order bump everyone on the waiting list up one slot? As opposed to being sold to some new person who just happens to walk into the dealer at that moment?
Makes wonder if GTS allocations aren't sought after. Two in one day on Rennlist. A few months ago a friend looking for an S cab was offered a GTS slot.
Old 04-25-2023, 04:58 PM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

Received 1,007 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiskyGuy
I've got down to either Carrera White Metallic or Carmine Red.
Originally Posted by porsche.earth
its not, according to configurator
Okay that makes more sense because I had heard it was dropped.
Old 04-25-2023, 05:00 PM
CZS
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by dudeoverthere
Makes wonder if GTS allocations aren't sought after. Two in one day on Rennlist. A few months ago a friend looking for an S cab was offered a GTS slot.
From the outside looking in, it appears that Porsche is making far more GTS cars than S/4S. According to my dealer, I received his ONLY 2023 C2S allocation but he's had several GTS allocations in that time. All of his GTS allocations were being gobbled up by buyers who had been waiting on GT3 allocations they were never going to get.
Old 04-25-2023, 05:29 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,802 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
X number of people have GTS Targa allocations with build dates. Someone cancelled their order (and may have lost their deposit) with a build freeze date coming any day. Anyone behind already has their build number and lock date and everything is queued up. So they could try calling people on their wait list who don't yet have an allocation and give them 1-2 days to submit a deposit and a build, or maybe beyond their allocations they don't have a waitlist for that particular model. This buyer walks in and due to timing is able to get the car as long as he can finalize the build before Porsche freezes the build.

That would be my guess.

As to your two options, I would go with the Carmine red and full leather interior but I didn't open the build code and look at any other options you may have selected.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3rdpedal:
TheGeneral (04-25-2023), WhiskyGuy (04-25-2023)

Quick Reply: Walked in - got a Targa GTS allocation, now need your help finalising...