Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a used 2022 992 GTS - CPO, "Porsche executive," possibly tracked?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2023, 01:13 PM
hopetogolf
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Would you buy a used 2022 992 GTS - CPO, "Porsche executive," possibly tracked?

I am investigating a 2022 GTS with about 5K miles that was a Porsche executive car. The car will be a CPO. I have not seen it in person but from a video of the vehicle I know it has a few rock chips in the paint and potentially a few pits in the windshield. Between that information and service records indicating changed tires and brakes, I suspect the car has been tracked. I also wonder if the car was at a performance center (not sure if Porsche/dealers would still call them "Porsche executive" cars).

I will ask the dealer the questions above and then some but my enthusiasm for the car declined a bit after my first inquiry revealed the aforementioned information.

This would be my first Porsche and despite preferring new but not being in the mood to deal with ADMs, long waits, price increases for the same car, and new the 992.2 potentially being a hybrid, etc., I thought I would wade into the used market.

FWIW, the initial price is at MSRP so presumably with the softer market and the information above, it could be had for less than MSRP.

If it was at a Performance Center, I will absolutely not consider it but if not, is this a car worth considering?

Last edited by hopetogolf; 04-19-2023 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-19-2023, 05:41 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 134 Posts

I bought a 981 GT4 that had been used as a lead/follow instructor car at PEC LA. It was CPO and a great car. I think I remember hearing from the dealer that they have to disclose track use. I know the cars used at PTX Birmingham go through the CPO program and are subsequently auctioned to dealers. My take is these cars are definitely not fragile and the CPO process is very thorough, so even if it were previously used on track, it wasn’t abused and I’d have no issue with that history for the right car.
Old 04-19-2023, 06:58 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,062 Likes on 2,030 Posts

PEC cars are driven hard, lots of in and out throughout the day, banged of the rev limiter repeatedly.

These are a poor deal at MSRP.

it’s a fair deal with the mileage if it’s your normal Joe six pack doing the miles.
The following users liked this post:
Schwarz992C4S (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 07:15 PM
radelow
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 49 Posts

Having attended PECLA I can attest to the fact that those cars get the CRAP driven out of them. I drove a GT4 while I was there and I drove the absolute **** out of it. Redline every gear every time. Hard on the brakes constantly. Not to mention all the wear on the seats from people sliding around etc. There is no way in hell I would buy a PEC car whatsoever. Look Porsche's are meant to be driven hard and are reliable regardless but all the wear and tear parts (shocks, bushings, seating services, gears, engine, etc.) just have so much use in a condensed period of time you just don't know their longevity.

Not worth it at MSRP
Not worth it at ANY price

If you don't precisely know the history of the car and whether it was a true executive car or a PEC car I would not take the chance. I also wouldn't trust what anyone told you the history was. This is a huge financial expenditure. Do it right.

Last edited by radelow; 04-19-2023 at 07:18 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by radelow:
CAA (04-20-2023), CO 992 (04-20-2023), Schwarz992C4S (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 07:56 PM
Schwarz992C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by radelow
Having attended PECLA I can attest to the fact that those cars get the CRAP driven out of them. I drove a GT4 while I was there and I drove the absolute **** out of it. Redline every gear every time. Hard on the brakes constantly. Not to mention all the wear on the seats from people sliding around etc. There is no way in hell I would buy a PEC car whatsoever. Look Porsche's are meant to be driven hard and are reliable regardless but all the wear and tear parts (shocks, bushings, seating services, gears, engine, etc.) just have so much use in a condensed period of time you just don't know their longevity.

Not worth it at MSRP
Not worth it at ANY price

If you don't precisely know the history of the car and whether it was a true executive car or a PEC car I would not take the chance. I also wouldn't trust what anyone told you the history was. This is a huge financial expenditure. Do it right.
I completely agree. I purchased a Market Intro 992 C4S that was an Exec Demo car back in early 2020. It looked beautiful, was fully loaded and came with CPO warranty on top. It was a nightmare of problems one after another. Dumped the car 8 months later. As stated previously, If you can't prove it wasn't a track/experiance car, not worth it at all.
Old 04-19-2023, 08:07 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,266 Likes on 638 Posts

you know... unlike some other brands I've never heard a single "executive" or "demo" or performance center car horror story with Porsches. The reality is they get driven hard but these cars don't hate it. Would I pay the same price as a I would for a car that was a single owner and had been babied? Probably not, there's certainly some discount to be had for the additional wear and tear. But if you think the price is fair, and you are getting an excellent cpo warranty, I think you can buy with confidence.

Honestly if its a PECLA car its been serviced on site and had consumables replaced prior to any failure risk so the only thing I'd be picky about would be interior and paint wear and tear.
The following 2 users liked this post by slc4s:
Go Bruins (04-20-2023), stjoh (04-20-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 08:03 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

No.
Old 04-20-2023, 08:21 AM
Emosgarage
Instructor

Received 302 Likes on 110 Posts

in 2019, I bought a CPO GT4 that was three years old, and that had seen extensive track history. The CPO paperwork indicated that they had to remove and replace numerous aftermarket suspension parts, wheel studs, etc. The headlights and windshield also had significant pitting on them. I took comfort in the CPO warranty, and the fact that if anything went wrong, Porsche would fix it. I’ve had the car for four years now, and I have tracked it extensively myself, and had zero issues with it. I feel like these cars are meant for this, and with the extended warranty and Porsche, standing behind the car, I would not be that worried about it.
The following users liked this post:
Go Bruins (04-20-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 10:36 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

I used to tell people the difference between Porsche and any other manufacturer was that you can take any Porsche off the showroom floor and drive it hard for a weekend at the track and any model would hold up. Its like they're commercial grade and not consumer grade. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a PEC car so long as you had a thorough PPI done
Old 04-20-2023, 04:08 PM
hopetogolf
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks all. Car was sold before the SA even got back to me. I guess a deal was in the works.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a used 2022 992 GTS - CPO, "Porsche executive," possibly tracked?