Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Cab Interior Removal Resources Anywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2023, 09:57 PM
snrubel
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 992 Cab Interior Removal Resources Anywhere?

Does anyone have good videos, diagrams, etc, of how to disassemble the 992 cabriolet interior, in particular the rear seats and trim? I am ready to embark on a sound damping adventure and promise to document along the way if anyone has advice on where to begin pulling it apart. I am an engineer and have some background in this area, but I am not a mechanic.

There are a few decent threads on noise reduction, but I would like to create a definitive thread as a resource for the community. Ideally one where the “actually, we like loud cars”, “this isn’t a Lexus”, “buy Michelins”, and “put in some earplugs” guys are banned.

992 is a great GT car, but needs a little work in a few places to reduce tire noise to make it comfortable with a passenger for longer trips.
The following users liked this post:
DavidColorado (04-20-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 12:55 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,880 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Originally Posted by snrubel
Does anyone have good videos, diagrams, etc, of how to disassemble the 992 cabriolet interior, in particular the rear seats and trim? I am ready to embark on a sound damping adventure and promise to document along the way if anyone has advice on where to begin pulling it apart. I am an engineer and have some background in this area, but I am not a mechanic.

There are a few decent threads on noise reduction, but I would like to create a definitive thread as a resource for the community. Ideally one where the “actually, we like loud cars”, “this isn’t a Lexus”, “buy Michelins”, and “put in some earplugs” guys are banned.

992 is a great GT car, but needs a little work in a few places to reduce tire noise to make it comfortable with a passenger for longer trips.
I suggest searches for smarttop installs. There are some regarding the trim, but nothing definitive. I lnow there was something regarding taking the seats out and I remember it being pretty easy. I just can't remember what the main point of it was.
Old 04-19-2023, 11:08 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

Probably the person to visit is the high-end stereo shop, they have probably popped some interior panels in a 992. With today's production methods, not much is bolted or screws, it's mostly plastic snap fasteners. A set of good auto trim removal tools will be well worth the money. If you start doing Dynamat or similar, you will probably wind up removing the front seats and setting then aside. One tip I can pass along is that once you pull a seat and disconnect the wiring, don't cycle the ignition for any reason until the seat is back in the vehicle. If you do, then it will set off the airbag fault lights and you will not be able to clear those codes without a visit to the dealer or to someone who has a bi-directional scanner with the 992 modules. Good luck! I think you will find most the interior noise means covering the front part of the rear wheel wells with Dynamat or similar.
Old 04-20-2023, 04:17 PM
DavidColorado
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks! Looking forward to your report, as I'm planning to do the same. Not to pile on more work, but do you plan on capturing before/after decibel readings? Reviewing posts here on this subject, there seems to be no consensus on which area provides the most db reduction per effort/weight/cost, between wheel wells, doors, rear seat, or floor.

Quick Reply: 992 Cab Interior Removal Resources Anywhere?