Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPF for 992

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 01:12 AM
TK42ONE
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 177 Posts

I have the Stek Dyno and am really happy with it. Had XPEL before. Stek beads well, looks good. Can't speak to the Suntek. I think others have always said it is the installer that really matters.

The following users liked this post:
GTSGO! (02-14-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 03:48 AM
AbsolutelyNobody
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 111 Posts

Whatever you do please consider doubling up on the rear quarter panel right behind your doors. I wasn't convinced initially but after reading all the posts on Rennlist I asked my installer to put two layers there and I'm so glad I did. This is what my car looks like after 4 months, 4k km, and driving 4+ hours each way to my first track day. FYI the small marks are all rock chips and can't be cleaned off, the big marks actually punctured and tore the PPF. If I didn't have PPF all of that would be on the paint.

I'm tempted to ask my installer for 5 layers when I go get these replaced lol.

The following 3 users liked this post by AbsolutelyNobody:
GTSGO! (02-14-2024), PSPorsche (02-14-2024), vg247 (02-14-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 08:01 AM
355Shawn
Instructor

Received 168 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSGO!
My installer offered Suntek PPF C or Stek Dyno (Stek is has a 10% up charge). Most of the posts are on Xpel. Does anyone have a recommendation between these two?
I have STEK and it looks great. I’d recommend watching the Status Detail videos on YouTube, Evan really goes into detail on why STEK vs others.

If you don’t watch his videos and then decide to ship your car to Status I’d be surprised (I shipped my GTS to Evan and couldn’t be happier with every step of the process)

GTSGO! (02-14-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 08:51 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 735 Likes on 388 Posts

My installer offered Suntek PPF C or Stek Dyno (Stek is has a 10% up charge). Most of the posts are on Xpel. Does anyone have a recommendation between these two?
between ppf-c, which use to be the best Suntek had, now it’s Reaction, or STEK Dyno…hands down STEK

just make sure you’ve found the best installer that truly specializes in Porsches and knows your specific model by doing many installations

now days, with so many people offering ppf, and fancy YouTube videos that everything looks perfect, it’s becoming harder and harder to find those that can shoot a nice video and say the right things from the actual craftsman that know the art

hope this helps
The following 2 users liked this post by MoeMistry:
GTSGO! (02-14-2024), Icegrill (02-14-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 09:13 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by AbsolutelyNobody
Whatever you do please consider doubling up on the rear quarter panel right behind your doors. I wasn't convinced initially but after reading all the posts on Rennlist I asked my installer to put two layers there and I'm so glad I did. This is what my car looks like after 4 months, 4k km, and driving 4+ hours each way to my first track day. FYI the small marks are all rock chips and can't be cleaned off, the big marks actually punctured and tore the PPF. If I didn't have PPF all of that would be on the paint.

I'm tempted to ask my installer for 5 layers when I go get these replaced lol.

agreed. i went full xpel rubber on the entire car less the doors and spoiler. i also had do a double rubber wrap from the lower bottom trim covering the 100% of the side skirts and then half the way up thru the rear panel. also, same thing on rear bumper lower sides. those areas are the real area that get hit on the 992 and i want my paint perfect.

GTSGO! (02-14-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 09:34 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default 11-mil options for the side hips

Most ppf is around 8-mil, give or take.

Doing11-mil will be a 40% increase in thickness and better protection

also something to consider…the mil thickness is film NOT stretched in any way…the moment you pull material to contour the front bumper, fenders, hips, you THIN the material by stretching it

If doing full ppf, have installer use 11-mil as a 2nd layer

if doing just the extended rockers, 11-mil would be adequate for most daily driving

just make sure the piece is tall enough as on 992, rocks fly up above door handle height

Typical coverage at our Signature level
GTSGO! (02-14-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 03:29 AM
GTSGO!
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Paint correct before ppf?

Thank you for all of this super helpful info. One follow-up: the installer has an additional add on for a 2 stage paint correction prior to ppf. He said the ppf hides most paint issues, but he still recommends having it done. Do most folks take this extra step? My car is light colored (ice grey).
Old 02-15-2024, 03:39 AM
itrocks4u
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts

I spent $5,000 to get PPF on full front end, door edges and the rockers.
I went to trade it in to the dealership. Absolutely $0 value for it.

If you're planning to trade your car into dealership, skip PPF.
if you're planning to sell it to a third party or enjoy for yourself, then go for it.
suffer (02-15-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 05:22 AM
TuvaD
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
Full Xpel Ultimate Plus on the paint and Exoshield on the glass. Just finished it and I'm very, very happy with the outcome. If I didn't tell you it was there, you would not know. PPF isn't for everyone but I'm super happy I have it on the GTS.

Nice. How is the Exoshield install working out so far?
Old 02-15-2024, 08:06 AM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by 355Shawn
I have STEK and it looks great. I’d recommend watching the Status Detail videos on YouTube, Evan really goes into detail on why STEK vs others.

If you don’t watch his videos and then decide to ship your car to Status I’d be surprised (I shipped my GTS to Evan and couldn’t be happier with every step of the process)

https://youtu.be/_pF4pjkHpLo?si=doGyuIzKQN-zaMMK
Evan did the PPF on my GT3 and it turned out better than expected. I can’t tell the PPF is there. It’s perfectly smooth with no stretch marks or orange peel. Very high gloss and I can mostly just rinse the car with a pressure washer and no agitation to keep it looking mint. I highly recommend him for paint correction and ppf.
355Shawn (02-15-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 11:17 AM
gthal
Pro

Received 537 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by TuvaD
Nice. How is the Exoshield install working out so far?
It's been great so far... largely because I wouldn't really know it's there.
Old 02-15-2024, 11:35 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thank you for all of this super helpful info. One follow-up: the installer has an additional add on for a 2 stage paint correction prior to ppf. He said the ppf hides most paint issues, but he still recommends having it done. Do most folks take this extra step? My car is light colored (ice grey).
it’s true that ppf will hide ALMOST any imperfection

If it’s value to YOU knowing paint is void of any blemishes and you’re preserving and protecting pristine paint, then it makes sense to go through the process 👌
Old 02-15-2024, 11:40 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by itrocks4u
I spent $5,000 to get PPF on full front end, door edges and the rockers.
I went to trade it in to the dealership. Absolutely $0 value for it.

If you're planning to trade your car into dealership, skip PPF.
if you're planning to sell it to a third party or enjoy for yourself, then go for it.
+1 with one caveat

when I sell ppf to a client, I make it clear that the ROI is only for them to enjoy and have peace of mind

When it comes time for selling the car, having ppf on a car vs one that doesn’t, all other things being equal, buyer will usually prefer the protected one

problem with dealer is…they want to get the lowest price on their acquisition, but will now make that same counterpoint when selling…so what was $0 becomes a selling point when they put up for sale on their lot
The following 3 users liked this post by MoeMistry:
BaxterPup (02-15-2024), txpackers (02-16-2024), vg247 (02-15-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 12:34 PM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 688 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by SFC
Premier Protective Films International, saw their video on youtube looks pretty good, but it is pricey.

Does anyone try 911 without ppf? hows the damage?
Highly recommend Premier. Just finished my first car with them. Full body PPF, double layer at hips, Ceramic Coating, Tint.

2nd car scheduled for late April. They are booked out about 4-5 months, FYI.

Ricky Bobby (03-22-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 12:39 PM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 688 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by SFC
Does anyone try 911 without ppf? hows the damage?
Here are the chips on the front of my car after 700 miles, before PPF. Glad it’s fully protected now. Daily driver status.

Quick Reply: PPF for 992