Sponsored by:

PPF for 992

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2023, 11:36 PM
InTheClouds
Instructor

Received 135 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercuriell
Ate some dirt/dust at high speed on the track recently 😬 - someone had had a gravel bath and the track wasn't cleaned properly- I was interested that the only 'dust patina' was the front arch of the rear wheel, right where the factory fitted shark fin goes - rest of the car was fine 😎
I was a bit irritated that the PPF installer hadn't replaced the factory shark fin with an onlay replacement- means I will have to get the whole sill and hip redone as a one-piece replacement 🙄
Damn, thats a bummer! My installer put an extra/sacrificial shark fin of PPF in that area (on top of the whole body PPF) without me even asking/suggesting. My shark fin is already about half as beat up as your pic, from just 4000 miles of local highway driving.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:50 AM
Dan006
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray K.
For those doing PPF, here is a pretty cool comprehensive film comparison with tests over 2.5 years. As much as the installer is critical, Seeing this would make me a bit picky over the film used.

http://v\https://www.youtube.com/wat...s4gPY&index=1\

your link is not working!!!
Old 03-23-2023, 10:16 AM
TuvaD
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 78 Posts

If you're in San Francisco, give Ray at PPF Wrap Up a call. He did a perfect job on my 4GTS.
https://www.ppfwrapup.com
Old 03-23-2023, 10:55 AM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Received 737 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by TuvaD
If you're in San Francisco, give Ray at PPF Wrap Up a call. He did a perfect job on my 4GTS.
https://www.ppfwrapup.com
Question: did he wrap around each edge such that you can't feel a PPF "edge"? I ask because mine came back with PPF edges in several areas. My prior PPF wrap did not and I'm assuming that when a template is used you get the exposed edges.
Old 03-23-2023, 12:32 PM
Ray K.
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Vicbastige
Question: did he wrap around each edge such that you can't feel a PPF "edge"? I ask because mine came back with PPF edges in several areas. My prior PPF wrap did not and I'm assuming that when a template is used you get the exposed edges.
I noticed with Premium Shield there are templates with longer edges available (when possible) for wrapping

https://premiumshield.com/shop-film-...cle_type=Coupe
Old 03-23-2023, 12:33 PM
Ray K.
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan006
your link is not working!!!
Thanks...fixed it.
Old 03-23-2023, 01:12 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 735 Likes on 388 Posts

There are several great softwares out there, XPEL DAP has been the industry standard for years, but now Suntek Core and a few others are giving it a run for its money

A proficient installer can manipulate patterns to meet a client’s needs/wants, so not all patterns will be the same from shop to shop, unless they click and print using SAME software…just an FYI

Client and installer must be on same page as to what is wrapped and it’s always great to look at the work in person to make the final decisions

so often I see/read about specific edges not wrapped, and I always ask “did you and your installer go over YOUR vehicle; either over the phone or in-person” and often the answer is no because everyone ASSUMES all the shops are putting out similar work because they use same film and software…it couldn’t be further from the truth

the goal is to match the right installer with the right client/needs/budget 👍

Last edited by MoeMistry; 03-23-2023 at 01:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
vg247 (03-23-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 02:56 PM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Received 737 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
There are several great softwares out there, XPEL DAP has been the industry standard for years, but now Suntek Core and a few others are giving it a run for its money

A proficient installer can manipulate patterns to meet a client’s needs/wants, so not all patterns will be the same from shop to shop, unless they click and print using SAME software…just an FYI

Client and installer must be on same page as to what is wrapped and it’s always great to look at the work in person to make the final decisions

so often I see/read about specific edges not wrapped, and I always ask “did you and your installer go over YOUR vehicle; either over the phone or in-person” and often the answer is no because everyone ASSUMES all the shops are putting out similar work because they use same film and software…it couldn’t be further from the truth

the goal is to match the right installer with the right client/needs/budget 👍
Thanks Moe. In my case it was definitely a miss on communication, but the dealer was involved and it is a boring story. Good news is the installer wants to make it right (read: make me happy). Other than costing more due to a more involved installation process, what is the downside to warping the edges? Seems to me there wouldn't be any save for a few places like where the hood comes to a sharp point by the windshield where wrapped edges don't play nice as they approach the "point" of the hood.
Old 03-23-2023, 05:37 PM
HappinessProcured
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 110 Posts

Great video series. XPEL isn't that impressive for how popular it is.
Old 03-24-2023, 10:53 PM
TuvaD
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Vicbastige
Yes, he did a full front custom cut and tucked job. No templates. No edges. Very meticulous.

The bigger issue is how an installer hides “relief cuts” when doing a custom job. Most are bad at that. He’s excellent at it and you can’t really see any on my car.

DM me and I’ll refer you, if helpful. He usually has a waiting list.
Old 03-24-2023, 11:18 PM
vaderone
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I did full PPF for my 2022 Cab as of result of my ownership of a 2014 CS4. The bottom of the flanks of the car became heavy pitted below the door and actually starting to look whitish. When I purchased by Cab decided to go the PPF route. The PPF is nice but it is not clear shine. When you really look at it looks like very light orange peel and not as nice as the original clear coat. On the other hand, I like the fact the PPF takes the hits from rocks first and hopefully protecting the paint on the car. I have had several large rocks hit the car and puncture through the PPF, but the paint still looks like in good shape.

My 2 cents.
Old 05-03-2023, 07:12 PM
gthal
Pro

Received 537 Likes on 203 Posts

Full Xpel Ultimate Plus on the paint and Exoshield on the glass. Just finished it and I'm very, very happy with the outcome. If I didn't tell you it was there, you would not know. PPF isn't for everyone but I'm super happy I have it on the GTS.

The following 3 users liked this post by gthal:
Grimz (01-11-2024), Icegrill (01-17-2024), vg247 (05-05-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 09:30 PM
Dudewithout992
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 89 Posts

mwein (05-04-2023)
Old 01-17-2024, 04:21 PM
JJadersten
2nd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PPF on headlights

Originally Posted by gthal
Full Xpel Ultimate Plus on the paint and Exoshield on the glass. Just finished it and I'm very, very happy with the outcome. If I didn't tell you it was there, you would not know. PPF isn't for everyone but I'm super happy I have it on the GTS.

Nice work and beautiful car. I plan to XPEL my 992 GTS soon. W Aerokit. Do the cut-outs fold around the edges or can you feel the edge of the ppf? What do the headlights look like when done? Why did you opt to not do XPEL brand on the headlights? Thx Jon, Sweden
Icegrill (01-17-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 11:43 PM
GTSGO!
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Suntek or STEK?

My installer offered Suntek PPF C or Stek Dyno (Stek is has a 10% up charge). Most of the posts are on Xpel. Does anyone have a recommendation between these two?

Quick Reply: PPF for 992