Sponsored by:

PPF for 992

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 11:44 AM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,062 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Originally Posted by EZ E
Car went in today for PPF and window tint!! I was going to have them do the headlights, they claim do NOT do the headlights. They claim Porsche said it causes heat build up and pre mature failure. Funny thing is my 2019 Macan headlight failed within the first year and it had PPF.

Are you at Detail Pro Shop in Plain City?

I was the first 992 GTS they did. There were a few issues that had to be addressed after install.

And they just moved into the facility when I was there, so there was no curtain divider. Which resulted in some dust and dirt particles being trapped under the PPF. The installer Justin told me to just put touch up paint over one spot that was pretty bad.

Overall, they did a good job. It just wasn’t a good idea to be doing any buffing and vacuuming in the same space as PPF being installed. They also did a good job on my tint, and for a really sweet deal with better film compared to what Esoteric offered.

edit: Nevermind, I see you’re at AAP. They did a terrible job with window tint job on my work van, so I wouldn’t go there with my 911.

Last edited by shrimp money; 03-16-2023 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-16-2023, 11:57 AM
wmah523
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 32 Posts

How many of you actually did the PPF over the headlights? My PPF shop gave me option as well, saying it might damage the headlight coating layer. It always takes a few tries to do the headlights, and when they need to peel and re-attached, it will take the coating from the headlight while peeling, which will require refinishing/clearing before applying PPF again. They say price doesn't change, but its a risk.
Old 03-16-2023, 12:13 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by wmah523
How many of you actually did the PPF over the headlights? My PPF shop gave me option as well, saying it might damage the headlight coating layer. It always takes a few tries to do the headlights, and when they need to peel and re-attached, it will take the coating from the headlight while peeling, which will require refinishing/clearing before applying PPF again. They say price doesn't change, but its a risk.

All my cars have it. My shop PPFs all their customers headlights with 0 issues. Install always comes out flawless first time Without having to try again. I asked them and they have had 0 issues replacing headlight PPF on any of their customers cars. I’m not worried.
The following users liked this post:
Nothingtoc (05-03-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 12:13 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

I passed on it, wasn’t even interested.

Headlights are easily replaceable.
The following 2 users liked this post by shrimp money:
Diablo Dude (03-16-2023), Icegrill (03-22-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 12:24 PM
DodoBrd
Burning Brakes

Received 917 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by Master Deep
All my cars have it. My shop PPFs all their customers headlights with 0 issues. Install always comes out flawless first time Without having to try again. I asked them and they have had 0 issues replacing headlight PPF on any of their customers cars. I’m not worried.
Do you think they (or any business) are going to let you in on the quality / install issues they had with previous customers?

Installing PPF on headlights is relatively easy... but in addition to voiding warranty, delaminating, and other potential risks noted above... PPF gets pitted and fades in clarity over time. So, would you rather have a pitted headlight that is not delaminated and still under warranty, or pitted/less clear PPF that voids light warranty, delaminates lights when replaced, and has potential other risks?
Old 03-16-2023, 12:35 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DodoBrd
Do you think they (or any business) are going to let you in on the quality / install issues they had with previous customers?

Installing PPF on headlights is relatively easy... but in addition to voiding warranty, delaminating, and other potential risks noted above... PPF gets pitted and fades in clarity over time. So, would you rather have a pitted headlight that is not delaminated and still under warranty, or pitted/less clear PPF that voids light warranty, delaminates lights when replaced, and has potential other risks?

I haven’t heard about the warranty issue until reading this thread. My film has held up well at 16,000 miles and I expect it to last at least until 50,000 miles at this rate before replacing them. I’ve had headlight PPF replaced on other German cars without issues. I would assume my shop would stop doing headlight PPF if they had problems with all the 6 and 7 figure cars they do. But it’s up to each individual person to decide their risk tolerance.
Old 03-16-2023, 12:55 PM
DodoBrd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Master Deep
I haven’t heard about the warranty issue until reading this thread. My film has held up well at 16,000 miles and I expect it to last at least until 50,000 miles at this rate before replacing them. I’ve had headlight PPF replaced on other German cars without issues. I would assume my shop would stop doing headlight PPF if they had problems with all the 6 and 7 figure cars they do. But it’s up to each individual person to decide their risk tolerance.
Porsche literally says not to do it... but yeah, take the small business owner's advice
The following 2 users liked this post by DodoBrd:
Diablo Dude (03-16-2023), Master Deep (03-16-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 01:19 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Porsche literally says not to do it... but yeah, take the small business owner's advice
Good to know. I didn’t know it was in the manual. My cars already have it so at this point I’ll just leave them on.
Old 03-16-2023, 03:29 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,245 Posts

I had my car done by Premier in Fremont and they did not recommend putting PPF over the headlights for all of the reasons listed above.
I had windows tinted with Spectra IRD and the wheels and brake calipers coated with ceramic. The entire car was PPF'd with Clear Guard Alpha, except for the rear spoiler and bumper which I had ceramic coated with Modesta.And the shark fin on the rear quarter panel was redone with a much larger piece in addition to the PPF layer.

Premier is expensive, but they do amazing work including paint protection before the film gets applied.
Old 03-16-2023, 04:16 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

And will Porsche replace your headlights when they get pockmarked from road debris?

PPF's headlights will not create delamination, unless your installer is a nincompoop.

And really the only time when delamination from PPF becomes an issue is when you remove the PPF to replace it, but why would you do so, and if you did, how often would that be? And, heaven forbid, if you did remove the PPF and the headlights delaminate, then sand/polish the headlight and reapply PPF and the delamination becomes a non-issue.

Old 03-16-2023, 05:05 PM
EZ E
Pro

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by shrimp money
Are you at Detail Pro Shop in Plain City?

I was the first 992 GTS they did. There were a few issues that had to be addressed after install.

And they just moved into the facility when I was there, so there was no curtain divider. Which resulted in some dust and dirt particles being trapped under the PPF. The installer Justin told me to just put touch up paint over one spot that was pretty bad.

Overall, they did a good job. It just wasn’t a good idea to be doing any buffing and vacuuming in the same space as PPF being installed. They also did a good job on my tint, and for a really sweet deal with better film compared to what Esoteric offered.

edit: Nevermind, I see you’re at AAP. They did a terrible job with window tint job on my work van, so I wouldn’t go there with my 911.
I used the AAP Lewis center location on hwy 23. The guy doing the work has been installing for 20 plus years. He did one of my cars back in 2008!! He got the film to adhere to the rocker panel that has the hammer look. He did a great job!!
Old 03-16-2023, 05:08 PM
DodoBrd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
And will Porsche replace your headlights when they get pockmarked from road debris?

PPF's headlights will not create delamination, unless your installer is a nincompoop.

And really the only time when delamination from PPF becomes an issue is when you remove the PPF to replace it, but why would you do so, and if you did, how often would that be? And, heaven forbid, if you did remove the PPF and the headlights delaminate, then sand/polish the headlight and reapply PPF and the delamination becomes a non-issue.
both PPF and Headlights will get pitted. The issue is the apparent risk involved as stated above.
Old 03-16-2023, 05:29 PM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Received 490 Likes on 303 Posts

Ate some dirt/dust at high speed on the track recently 😬 - someone had had a gravel bath and the track wasn't cleaned properly- I was interested that the only 'dust patina' was the front arch of the rear wheel, right where the factory fitted shark fin goes - rest of the car was fine 😎
I was a bit irritated that the PPF installer hadn't replaced the factory shark fin with an onlay replacement- means I will have to get the whole sill and hip redone as a one-piece replacement 🙄

Last edited by Mercuriell; 03-16-2023 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-16-2023, 05:31 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Originally Posted by EZ E
I used the AAP Lewis center location on hwy 23. The guy doing the work has been installing for 20 plus years. He did one of my cars back in 2008!! He got the film to adhere to the rocker panel that has the hammer look. He did a great job!!
I used the Worthington location; glad you had better results.
Old 03-22-2023, 09:05 PM
Ray K.
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

For those doing PPF, here is a pretty cool comprehensive film comparison with tests over 2.5 years. As much as the installer is critical, Seeing this would make me a bit picky over the film used.

Last edited by Ray K.; 03-23-2023 at 10:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ricky Bobby (03-22-2024)

Quick Reply: PPF for 992